.50ae
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .50ae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Is it really worth buying a desert eagle .50AE? Considering accuracy and prices to own and purchase price? Would you ever use the gun for more than range time purpose?

Me n my buddy were arguing about it. I said its not practical. He thinks otherwise.

spit hell fire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Let's see.

A giant handgun that is close to 6 pounds unloaded.

Oversized hand grip that most men with large hands (mine included) have trouble wrapping in a true "handshake" type of weapon addressment.

An inset slide mounted safety, out of easy reach to the average thumb.

A recoil that will make quick follow up shots unlikely, at best.

What's not to like?

I think you are right. It's not a carry weapon. It's not a "personal sidearm". It's a man junk compensator and a niche' weapon that is fun to shoot a couple of times, but never one I would trust my life too.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-09-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: facts man, facts

Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I sadly admit i owned one. Its an eight pound paper weight. 2$ a round. No distance. Stay away

Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Thanks guys. That makes it 3 to 1 vote. Bam!

spit hell fire

Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

i find the one i bought when it first showed up then gave to my wife to be amazingly accurate. it is a beast. i can routinely pop clay pigeons at 100yds with it's iron sights.

it does take a LOT of concentration and wrist strength to shoot well. the terrible stock trigger makes a difficult to shoot handgun even harder to shoot well. the weight in long distance shooting is actually a benefit. its also got incredibly hard rotational torque making the gun twist violently in your hand

they are very good handgun hunting pistols with the integral rail on the barrel making it easy to mount most pistol optics.

if you just gotta have a very iconic reliable accurate magnum level gun the DE50 is a good choice. the bad part is the ammo is pricey, extremely so. reloading is a must for this gun. fortunately with the popularity of the 500SW and 50 beowulf, good quality .500 caliber bullets are actually easy to find.

reloading for the 50AE is easy and the cases hardly stretch at all and some cases i have have seen 25+ loadings with no signs of splitting at the mouth. cant remember the last time i had to trim one. reloading brings the cost on par with 38spl or 357magnum factory ammo depending on bullet choice.

not a practical defense gun but its not a POS or worthless. its just a fun range/hunting pistol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-09-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Depends what you want it for?
For fun at the range they are hard to beat. Accuracy is top notch, with a good trigger as well.
If your worried about ammo costs then its time to reload