5 most significant handguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 5 most significant handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default 5 most significant handguns

What would you consider the 5 most significant handguns designed and marketed in the past 100 years? And, more importantly, why?

Now, the 100 year limit is troubling for me, because it knocks out what would be my top two choices if were increased the time limit only slightly -- the 1911 and the Smith and Wesson Model 10. Okay, I know technically that there were no Model 10's until the 50's, but re-naming an existing model doesn't count for this contest, as the Smith and Wesson M&P and earlier hand ejector models, which were essentially the same gun, were around since before the turn of the 20th century.

Okay, my choices:

(1) The Smith and Wesson "registered" .357 magnum, which later evolved into the Model 27. The first .357 magnum revolver -- need I say more?

(2) The Browning Hi Power. I am not completely certain of this, but I believe it was the first high capacity 9 mm pistol. It is certainly the first one I'm aware of, and it set the standard for 9mm autos for years. Used by a wide variety of countries militaries for decades.

(3) The Glock. Sigh, I hate to say this, but the Glock did, imo, change the firearms industry more than any other gun in the past 50 years.

(4) Smith and Wesson .44 magnum, which later became the Model 29. Took handguns and handguns hunting to a whole new level.

(5) Hmmm. I've used all the obvious ones I can think of now. I'm going to say the Ruger Mk I automatic. The first gun produced by Strum Ruger, sold tens of thousands, the standard, imo, which reasonably priced .22 autos are judged.

Okay, what are your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Just 5? Tough sledding getting it down to 5.

What's a couple years between friends? The 1911 deserves to be on any list of "most significant" handguns. You can't discuss the last 100 years worth of handguns without the 1911 intruding into the discussion repeatedly. How about we say "most significant of the 20th century?"
I would also include the CZ 75 series pistols. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then the sheer number of CZ clones and derivative designs out there must mean it's a heck of a pistol and certainly worthy of consideration. "Europe's 1911" is the term often bandied about.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Well since you said past 100 years and the 1911 is at year 102 I would have to say the beretta m9/92fs deserves to be number 5. The number of military and law enforcement that has used this weapon speaks volumes. It did replace the awesome 1911 in the u.s.military you know. Dang gone it, why did I sell mine??? Maybe the luger deserves mention as well. Idk maybe 5 isn't enough, you should of said 10 lol

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2168 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 786

So effectively, we are talking about the top 5 handguns excluding the 1911 or Single Action Army.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Yeh 5 this is going to be tough, but here goes................

1. The Colt Revolver

2. The Colt Model 1911

3. The Ruger, take your pick.

4. The Glock, here again take your pick.

5. The Magnum Research, again take your pick.

I guess that will do !.............

When all else fails.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

1. The very first blackpowder pistol no real model number as it was handmade. Pretty much changed everything

2. Very first blackpowder revolver see above as to why.

3. Colt single action army. Pretty much showed everyone how to do a cartridge revolver right.

4. Webley revolver. Just ask the victims of english colonialism how game changing and historic that thing was

5. Colt 1911. The symbol of american handgun excellence. Even with the adoption of the m9 its still in service with us military several decades later and showing no signs of going anywhere

Might get somewhere around 378 before I would list glock since the only thing they revolutionized was how to market a schlock product....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Walther p38 #5

S&w model 39 aka mk 22 mod 0 #4

Browning high power #3

Beretta m9 good concept with slide cut out to reduce jamming issues and effective round when not using NATO ball ammo #2

Ar and ak pistols because anything that uses a loophole to thumb it's nose at stupid unconstitutional laws is great. #1

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Historically speaking:

The 'first' revolver, I am not sure who made the first one.

Colt Peacemaker

Colt 1911

S&W modern DA (N, L, K, and J-frame)

Glock (first poly gun)

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Liked 628 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 1684

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
What would you consider the 5 most significant handguns designed and marketed in the past 100 years? And, more importantly, why?

Now, the 100 year limit is troubling for me, because it knocks out what would be my top two choices if were increased the time limit only slightly -- the 1911 and the Smith and Wesson Model 10. Okay, I know technically that there were no Model 10's until the 50's, but re-naming an existing model doesn't count for this contest, as the Smith and Wesson M&P and earlier hand ejector models, which were essentially the same gun, were around since before the turn of the 20th century.

Okay, my choices:

(1) The Smith and Wesson "registered" .357 magnum, which later evolved into the Model 27. The first .357 magnum revolver -- need I say more?

(2) The Browning Hi Power. I am not completely certain of this, but I believe it was the first high capacity 9 mm pistol. It is certainly the first one I'm aware of, and it set the standard for 9mm autos for years. Used by a wide variety of countries militaries for decades.

(3) The Glock. Sigh, I hate to say this, but the Glock did, imo, change the firearms industry more than any other gun in the past 50 years.

(4) Smith and Wesson .44 magnum, which later became the Model 29. Took handguns and handguns hunting to a whole new level.

(5) Hmmm. I've used all the obvious ones I can think of now. I'm going to say the Ruger Mk I automatic. The first gun produced by Strum Ruger, sold tens of thousands, the standard, imo, which reasonably priced .22 autos are judged.

Okay, what are your thoughts?
Ditto you, except for no.5
I choose the beretta M9

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The 1911 has gone through a few minor design changes over the years, so it counts. (technically)

1. 1911 - Over 100 years of reliability, and effectiveness. Still one of the most popular guns in history.

2. HK VP70 - First polymer framed gun. Predates the GLOCK by 12 years.

3. Ruger Mark I, II, III, and 22/45 - A very successful line of .22 pistols that are among the most popular today.

4. Smith and Wesson Model 29 - Who doesn't like a big beautiful 44 magnum?

5. Browning High Power - Used by militaries and police all over the world for decades.