Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 455 webley fosbery sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

WF38...YOU are AMAZING!!!!! Really, I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given me. You deserve way more than a pint of Jack! How did you find that? Were you able to somehow locate a list of graduates? That's really using your noggin. Great thinking. So...it seems our C.A.C. was shot in his office at his barracks at the ripe old age of 41...this after spying, receiving medals for valor, imprisonment for protecting his wife, being pardoned and becoming a Chief Intelligence Officer. That's some crazy stuff! Love it!

Any idea how I can verify this? Not sure where or how you found this info.

Thank you again WebleyFosbery38 ...YOU ROCK! You are the one that should have the PI after your name!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #22

I spoke to Kim, and advised her of the best way to insure the gun (just get an appraisal, and give it to her homeowner's insurance agent). Just a few dollars for a special policy for this gun, will give her peace of mind!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4560 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 4701

http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Category:Graduates_of_the_Royal_Military_Academy%2 C_Woolwich

Your story spiked my interest and I found this while trolling. Woolwich was a famous artillery academy and had some very important teachers and students, I figured someone would have documented it at some time. Its tough when your searching about something from another country even if its England, the terms for things are different! You would be surprised at the varying return data according to the way something is worded. Then I found the list of every graduate of Woolwich and the rest is history. Took less than an hour once I decided how I would find a list of probable names to choose from.

I cant really be positive about the ID but I would say that it was where it was shipped to as verified by Richard that begs this conclusion. He even stated that this was likely a weapon purchased for a student so being the fact that all the graduates were listed, it only left this one name in the ring. He attended 3 primary private schools (Eastman's Academy, Bath College, and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich), so he was certainly from some wealth so he could afford a piece like this. He was also the son of a national hero, a recipient of the nations highest honors, the Victoria Cross.

It is possible that ringing those phone numbers could get some info but I do think the linkage is pretty possible and probable. Good call HH, Insurance is a great Idea, especially now that the piece is known to exist and it is most certainly a high value item.

Ok Kim, probably are correct, Im p-poor at being an opportunist but I will up my fee to a Pint Of Gentleman's before the sale and a quart of Single Barrel after!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

To all- nice bit of detective work. Kim- you may want to print this out- and see if there are any pearls in that case.....

http://www.cairogang.com/other-people/british/castle-intelligence/cameron/cameron-ca.html

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4560 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 4701

C3, I had read in some stuff a few months ago about how Webley Fosbery's were prized by British Special Agents because they were so accurate and they fired very rapidly while staying dead on target. They have 1/2 the kick of their solid body revolver cousins made by Webley yet maintained 90% of the stopping power. The biggest reason they didnt fly in combat was they didnt fire well when dirty although a fair amount of British officers did carry them, they had to buy their own service revolver, they got to choose it.

The Pearl Necklace ending up in that case is a interesting thought, you never know. I didnt read where it was ever found. Kim, empty the case completely and shake it, if you hear something rattling around, your gonna owe C3 his choice of beverage also! It was valued at 7000 pounds when it was "Stolen", my guess is it would be worth more than the WF today!

He graduated the Academy in 1901 but that doesnt mean anything because these guys maintain bonds that could easily have put that weapon in his possession 13 years later as the sponsor of the purchase as Alumni.

I was reading some of the stuff on this guy (theres lots of it out there) and he was really the stuff novels are written about. I really do think that this is the first owner, everything points to it especially with the details Richard has given. Its just too coincidental and no other CAC's show up in the register.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #26

As soon as I get some ink in this printer I have lots of printing to do! Thanks C3, WF38 and HH..not only are you guys all very helpful but you are comics as well. Awesome! You know what they say about all work and no play! It crossed my mind to throw my mothers pearls in the Webley case and take another photo just for your entertainment.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #27

I forgot to say...I have looked at everything that you guys have put forth and sent me. I believe you are right WF38... Cecil IS our guy....he has to be...and I can just feel it! Women have that intuition thing ya know!?