Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 455 webley fosbery sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

I have tomorrow off (finally) .... Ill try my hand at getting some pictures posted for you. Historyhunter..I did get your private email with the phone number. After I get some pictures up if you are still interested we can talk. Thanks to all for your comments and pointers. I'm soaking it all in.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #12

Heres some pics of the WF...(hope this works!) If so I have a few more ~ Kim

dsc00429.jpg   dsc00430.jpg   dsc00432.jpg   dsc00434.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

..and, a few more. If there is anything specific you want to see that I missed let me know.

~ Kim

dsc00437.jpg   dsc00438.jpg   dsc00439.jpg   dsc00441.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

...and, one more!

dsc00433.jpg  

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

Wow, very nice, looks like you have a target pistol in very original condition with a custom shooters case. The serial number puts it later into production and was likely always a ,455. Even has the front sight blade protector. While its not in new condition, the original Blue is worn and it is missing the safety, it is a very desirable piece. My guess is that the original owner CAC is not impossible to track either, this was no novice weapon, it was a skilled shooter.

You really need to contact Webley Scott Archives and get the rest of the Provenance from them. My guess is that this one has a history deeper than just the original sale. Richard can pull all the repair docs and such and see if a name is associated with it. That could add significant value to it.

I would be very wary about doing any direct sale on this one because it really has the possibility of a very large purse attached with the sale unless your in a big hurry, put it in the hands of an expert. Otherwise you would likely not get what its worth without the exposure to a wide range of possible buyers.

Im not a Antique Weapon expert but I would imagine this one will sell well over $8K and maybe closer to $20K if its fully functional, given the proper exposure and the Shooter who originally owner it is discovered.

Thanks for the pictures, good luck with the hunt!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #16

Once again THANKS everyone for your insight ..and to WF38 especially! ~ I did just send out an email to Richard Milner via the email address you supplied. I will let you all know when I hear something and what he may have to add to the provenance.

Due to these postings I have been contacted by a Military Antiquities Expert. So,THANK YOU to Firearms Talk for getting me in touch .... maybe something will pan out after all. This MAE and I have yet to make actual verbal contact ...so far just playing phone tag ya know? Maybe tomorrow will bring better luck.

Also...just wanted you all to know that, yes, this WF is in great working condition...my father carried it carfully and used it while hunting occasionally.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Kim, I do know a thing or two about powder actuated weapons but antiquities are a whole different world. Im very glad I could help, having been there and done that just recently I realized you may appreciate some insight that I had only recently gained about owning something as valuable as this without having any clue what to do with it!

I love the internet! Richard actually contacted me first on another Gun Board after he heard I had the piece. Otherwise I may have made a big mistake and taken it to a local Gun Shop trying to sell it. That would have been a huge error and loss.

One of the things I found out was the Webley Fosbery was one of the preferred pistols for champion level target shooters. Yours was no doubt one of those pieces, I would almost bet it spent lots of time in Bisley and was likely owned by a shooter with a big name, that was an expensive unit the day it was made. That case was not standard issue with the weapon, standard was an oak box not a leather bound case. Your piece also has an adjustable front sight/ blade (I think under the shield), that was also a more rare feature and found on very few WF's except the few target pistols they produced. The transfer dates to Carlton Jones in 1945 are most certainly tied to WW2, a story all of its own and you have the proof, his service number is also listed as well as his branch information, all that could lead you to some interesting and valuable info if you do a little investigating. If I read the thing correct, he paid 10 pounds for the piece, about $15.00 USD, thats a deal but back then the WF had been panned by the military as a has-been that never was!

Richard wont steer you wrong, he's a true gentleman and the owner of a bunch of these pistols. The few dollars you invest to get the info will come back to you 10 fold.

Dont get anxious with this thing, you wont get the real money from a private sale unless you have rock solid trustworthy connections in the field. Very few people around the world can actually afford to own one of these but if they find out its out there, they will do whatever they can to get it!

Great luck with it and do let us know what you found out, I think the big story is more than either of us know right now and the story could be worth as much as the gun.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #18

I actually joined this forum because of this gun, having done a Google search on Webley Fosbery. Great gun, great story!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #19

Hey...for those interested, that Richard Milner is quick! I emailed, he replied with the information ~ PRONTO! The information he has states that there were two WF's issued/ordered to the Royal Military Academy, in Woolwich, in October 1913. (#3697 being one of them) The only record he has is the name of the Secretary of the Revolver club as receiving officer, not the actual purchaser. He said it was likely that at the time of order/purchase the name of the actual GC who would eventually own the weapon was not yet known. I will request what paperwork he has but unfortunately no clue as to who C.A.C is...yet.

I do have some phone numbers & addresses in with all the other paperwork/provenance...I suppose calling them might be the next step in the C.A.C. mystery. Maybe I can reach someone with further information.

~Kim (Private Investigator )

Last edited by kim123; 06-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I love the internet, the things you can find out in a week would have taken a year ten years ago! It just goes to prove, its all out there if you just know where to look for it!

I just PMed Kim, I think I may have found C. A. C.,
Major Cecil Aylmer Cameron CBE DSO (17 September 1883–19 August 1924) was a British Army officer and spymaster and also a central figure of a notable fraud trial of 1911. The son of Colonel Aylmer Cameron VC, he was educated at Eastman's Academy, Bath College, and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, The only graduate of Woolwich with those initials. If this can be verified, thats provenance!!! Kim, My finders fee is a very reasonable pint of Gentleman Jack! Ha, ha.