.45 vs. 9mm - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

.45 vs. 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Choose a .40 s&w. A great compromise for the 9mm .45 debate. I have all three and love my Glock 23 in .40. My .45 is a smith 4506 and my 9mm is a cz75B, both great pistols.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #42

Liked 113 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default 9mm vs .45

There's no comparison between the 2. Everybody that has NO experience in actual firefight thinks higher capacity equals time proven bullet size. Anybody that thinks a good bullet in 9mm is equal of a good bullet in .45 needs to read more history about where small .38 bullets failed to do the job-btw a .38 is almost same diameter as 9mm. Or read general hatcher's reports on the subject. The facts of the matter is in an actual firefight,you can't stop to think about anything-if you do,you'll be dead. That's where training and instinctive take over and more cartridges won't help as much as hitting the target.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #43

They say the 45 ACP was designed for stopping power,that you could shoot someone in the finger and knock them to the ground.With power like that,i'll take the 45 ACP any day.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's no comparison between the 2. Everybody that has NO experience in actual firefight thinks higher capacity equals time proven bullet size. Anybody that thinks a good bullet in 9mm is equal of a good bullet in .45 needs to read more history about where small .38 bullets failed to do the job-btw a .38 is almost same diameter as 9mm. Or read general hatcher's reports on the subject. The facts of the matter is in an actual firefight,you can't stop to think about anything-if you do,you'll be dead. That's where training and instinctive take over and more cartridges won't help as much as hitting the target.
Well said and so true, stalkingbear!

With modern hollowpoint ammo, the 9mm and .38 Special are decent man-stoppers, but still not in the same class as the venerable .45.

With high-capacity (13-round mag) modern .45's like the Kimber Pro BP Ten II, which has a frame no wider than a standard .45, I see no reason to carry 9's and 38's, which have significantly less stopping power.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #45

Default S&w 40

I Like my my S&W 4043. I have carried it for a long time. First bey department requirement then by choice. There are better guns out I am sure but I hit what I aim at very quickly with this gun.

The .40 is an impressive performer and I think its bit better than the 45 in short barreled guns. The 40 S&W beats the nine everytime on terminal ballistics.

I have personal proof of those statements but that is another subject, another time and place.

You all do cool stuff!

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #46

I would like to mention that the renowned author, doctor and soldier, W. H. B. Smith, wrote that during his service on the Western Front as a doctor
and as an infantry officer (he transfered from the Medical Corps to an infantry regiment, where he saw considerable action) the worst wounds he every came across inflicted by a handgun, where from the 7.62 mm Mauser.

Everyone has an opinion and for my 10 cents the phrase 'stopping power' is used too widely, it is a factor true, but no more than that. Smith's book sits on my bookshelve next to Hatcher's, yes I have read it...........

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #47

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

An argument that will never see an end.

I personally carry a 4.25" 1911 in .45ACP The round is a manstopper, bottom line, and it's a weapon that has stood the test of time. The combination was put together by a genius and IMO has yet to be improved upon more than a few cosmetic "niceties."

As a side note: In 1999 the Tacoma, Washington Police Department traded their Glock 9mm's across the board for Kimber 1911's chambered in .45ACP. Several other departments around the country have done the same thing, but Tacoma was the first and took some flack for it at the time. Hilltop in Tacoma was a poor, crime ridden area in 1999, it probably still is but I haven't been there in years to say one way or the other. The officers in that area were experiencing problems with gunfights resulting in offenders getting away even when they were hit by the officer. A review was done and the Tacoma PD decided to have open try outs for a new weapon and caliber. They decided on the Kimber and the .45 for officer safety and protection. For what it's worth, I think they made a great choice.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #48

If size isn't an issue, why not go with a Glock 21SF with 13+1 capability. You only lose 4 rounds to the 9mm (17+1) I personally prefer .45, but have never felt undergunned with a 9mm.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #49

I use a 9mm cause I am an old fart with old hands that can only handle the recoil of a 9mm. I am more accurate with the 9 so I guess I should stick to what works best. Would not want to get shot with either if I was the bad guy. I also have a Phoenix .22 I keep in case I have to shoot the BG in the knee so I can sort of run away from him. I would think the 45 would be the best for thumping power as long as you could handle it and put it where it should go. Thinking of looking into a 380 for the hot summer months in AZ.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #50

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's not just the cartridge, the pistol has a lot to do with the choice. The choice hasn't been confined to the 9mm and .45 acp for a number of years. We've had the 38 super, the .40 S&W, and the 357 sig, which all are chambered in the smaller lightweight compact size pistols, as well as the full size pistols.

I've been hearing this same debate go on for over thirty years, about the 9mm and .45 acp, and still cannot find any logic behind arguing with someone on their own choice for what they prefer to shoot or rely on for self defense. It's their a$$ not mine, why argue with them about it ?

Newest Threads