Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .45 vs. 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The very best 9mm rounds compare pretty nicely with the very best 45 rounds in one stop shots. The problem with the 9mm is there are some not so great rounds out there. Having said that I own and shoot a browning hipower. I find I really like this pistol.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default .45 vs. 9mm

No brainer. Bigger is better. .45 acp. Combat proven, not politically correct.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-22-2007, 12:09 AM   #13

Default 9mm/ 45acp

try to shoot both of these guns and see which one you like better . i carry a 45 in winter & 9mm in summer.. bobby

YOUR LAST GUN IS NEVER YOUR LAST GUN.
BOBBY

Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #14

A 9mm for me......... and no smart a$$ remarks about me being a girl either!

Well behaved women rarely make history!

The Gun Lounge

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2549 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default .45 vs 9mm

Two thoughts on the subject:
1. Do not compare best case scenario to best case (both expand and penetrate properly). Compare worst case to worst case (neither expand). Which one is best? The .45 will make the larger hole. Bigger hole, better performance. I use non expanding bullets in my .45-70 as it will make huge holes at both ends.

2. Shot placement is the key. Shoot what ever you are going to practice with (a lot) I do not feel under gunned with my 9. I know I will hit what I am shooting at and hit it well.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default .45 vs 9mm LUGER

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

AH, the eternal debate, I prefer actually BOTH! I'm an AMERICAN< I can and DO own BOTH! I preferthe 9MM Luger in the form of a Browning High Power Clone, for low cost of shooting,m higer capacity and feel and looks! I like the 45ACP in either a Full Size Goventment model or Compact for it's stopping power, the feel of the recoil and how hard it hits! Best of both worlds boys and girls, why pick only 1? LOL

Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I qualified with a .45 in the Army in 1979,I think around 1985 we switched to 9MM and Army phased out all .45's, and I perfer 9MM any day,I seemed to qualify better at the range than what I did with the .45

Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default .45 vs. 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
But the 9mm Para is a combat proven round, too, and more people have been killed with it that 45ACP.
FalPhil, that is very interesting. I'd like to see your source on that. I may have to revise my opinion. It's just that in my personal experience investigating shootings, I've seen too many failures with 9mm's. I've seen and learned of many police shootings with 9mm, where the suspects took multiple rounds and kept fighting. The FBI shoot-out in Miami for example. Multiple serious 9mm & .38 hits on the bad guys, who kept shooting. That incident led to the development of the 10mm and eventually the .40 cal.

In the Philipine insurrection following the Spanish American War, the military dumped the .38 caliber weapons for .45's, which led to the development of the 1911. More recently, in order to be PC and Europe friendly, the US military ignored their earlier experience and dumped the .45 for the 9mm. Reports from the Sandbox indicate the troops are pleading for .45's because the 9's just aren't working for them. The majority of SWAT units are authorized to carry .45's while the street cops are issued 9mm. Same thing with many military special ops units.

I carried a 9mm on duty for years. For a while in the 70's and beyond, they were slick and trendy. I'm just reporting my personal experiences and reasoning.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone wishes to carry a 9mm, who am I to disagree? With modern ammo and bullet design, I could be wrong, but I don't wish to bet my life on it.

With respect
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #19

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting debate. The great thing about arguments like this is that they lead, at least here in the good ol' U. S. of A., to innovation. Thus we have the .40 S&W, which I understand is turning up in the holsters of more and more cops.

For all you guys who carry a .45 because "they don't make a !@%# .46," I have to wonder: what do you think of the .50 GI? 1911-style and -size gun with a half-inch bore... I know I want one.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
No brainer. Bigger is better. .45 acp. Combat proven, not politically correct.
+1

9mm bullets can expand most of the time with good modern HP design, BUT a .45 will never shrink.