.45 vs. 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .45 vs. 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default .45 vs. 9mm

For CCW purposes which caliber do you prefer and why?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #2

I dont own any .45's yet.... but I'd probably prefer a high capacity .45 like an xd. If i didnt have a hi-cap .45, I definatley choose the capacity of a 9mm like glock over a 1911 type pistol.

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92

Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My own personal preference.......

I've carried a 1911-type handgun for many years. I'm proficient with it, and I'm not as concerned with over-penetration as I am with the 9mm. Therefore, that's what I carry. Bullet type has a bearing on any handgun used for personal protection, and there is a plus and minus side to any caliber discussion. In my opinion, the deciding factor should be proficiency. The other alternatives, or trade-offs can be a factor, but a hit with a .22 beats miss with a .45 any day.

Just my 2 cents worth......

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #4

Both, depending on circumstance. Generally, I prefer my lightweight Kimber Officer's in 45ACP. Once in a while, I need something a little thinner, so I carry a customized Star BM, and sometimes I carry my CZ75 Compact for the sheer joy of it. All of them have the same kinds of controls in the same relative positions and can be carried cocked and locked.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've seen and heard about too many fialures to stop with 9mm. Granted, shot placement is everything, but is not something we can count on in combat. It's one thing to place 15 rounds in a 5" circle at 25 yards, but it is quite another to hit anything with someone shoot'n back, regardless of caliber. The .45acp is a combat proven round, and when dealing in micro-seconds and fractions of an inch, I'll take a bigger bullet.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
I've seen and heard about too many fialures to stop with 9mm. Granted, shot placement is everything, but is not something we can count on in combat. It's one thing to place 15 rounds in a 5" circle at 25 yards, but it is quite another to hit anything with someone shoot'n back, regardless of caliber. The .45acp is a combat proven round, and when dealing in micro-seconds and fractions of an inch, I'll take a bigger bullet.
I'm with you - 45 is tops. But the 9mm Para is a combat proven round, too, and more people have been killed with it that 45ACP. It is probably the longest used military handgun cartridge in the world.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 AM   #7

If weight wasn't a factor, I'd go .45. For concealed carry though a fully loaded .45 like an XD can be HEAVY. There are plenty of lightweight little 9mm out there for tucking in a pocket.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #8

I carry a 1911 chambered in .45 acp but I certainly would never feel undergunned with a 9mm.

Whichever someone shoots best is my opinion, but .32, .25 and .22 I do not find to be very accepted concealed carry calibers. .380 at a minimum.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

9mm

Good power with +p loads, good capacity, smaller gun, less recoil, and the number one reason is...

I can afford to shoot more, therefore increasing my skill and training and making me able to make the shots that matter, as shot placement is the most important factor in a shootout.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OMG! I can't believe that you asked this question!
Why not ask which is better Glock or 1911?
Just Kidding......
Either caliber is good. It is all in shot placement.
However, 9mm may expand but a .45 wont shrink.

Newest Threads