Which .45 should the Marines adopt and why? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Which .45 should the Marines adopt and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the colt series 70 new production would do just fine. any manufacturer that produces a 1911A1 to actual mil-spec as made in ww2 will beat any polygun or glock or wunder9 on the market.

the senators who wanted to give the contract to berreta had to disqualify the 1911A1 as all the ww2 era test guns out performed every candidate in the tests. they made rules it had to be DA/SA 9mm and have a decocker with safety and be 9mm. its also how they disqualified the sig p226 and glock as well. these quals were put in after the 92FS placed dead last in the first rounds. to disqualify the hi-power they inserted the rule of holding 15+1

according to reading, they NEVER tested against the 1911.

when it came time to "replace" the 1911, Beretta and Sig were the top two finishers. after an exhaustive and intensive firing session of well over 1,000 rounds, the Beretta was deemed the overall winner. the Sig (after the M9 was issued) was found to be the better pistol, BUT was beat out because of the OVERALL PACKAGE COST as compared to the Beretta. According to reading (not necessarily fact), Beretta beat Sig out by $1.00 per unit package, supposedly an "insider" tip was given to the Beretta folks.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #52

I am pretty sure the US militaries magazines are not made by beretta but this gun is. is this true correct? I dont like beretta too much.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #53

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
according to reading, they NEVER tested against the 1911.

when it came time to "replace" the 1911, Beretta and Sig were the top two finishers. after an exhaustive and intensive firing session of well over 1,000 rounds, the Beretta was deemed the overall winner. the Sig (after the M9 was issued) was found to be the better pistol, BUT was beat out because of the OVERALL PACKAGE COST as compared to the Beretta. According to reading (not necessarily fact), Beretta beat Sig out by $1.00 per unit package, supposedly an "insider" tip was given to the Beretta folks.
Exactly. And they - XM9 - were not obligated to test it against the 1911 if they had come up with a whole new bunch of criteria and standards that may have unfortunately disqualified the single action only, .45ACP pistol.

I don't know. I'm just speaking hypothetically but perhaps the XM9 tests required a gun with perceived features that the 1911 lacked like double action on the first pull, a decocker, and more capacity than 7+1, or 8+1. Once again, I'm not stating these WERE the qualifications but I'm hypothesizing why a 1911 or any other gun may have been disqualified if it could not meet the requirements and testing.

Now, who knows what the MHS requirements will be? Perhaps the 1911 will qualify this time but maybe it won't.

But there's no shame if an actual 1911 does not qualify because a lot of the pistols that do qualify have a lot of the John A Browning 1911 designs in them anyway so the legend lives on but just in another guise!