Which .45 should the Marines adopt and why? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which .45 should the Marines adopt and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have no problem if a plastic pistol was selected.
Hand on a Bible?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkchucker View Post
The problem the 1911 had in the Marines was simple. They were just worn out. They were around decades and rebuilt so many times that they just became soo out of tolerance.
The last M1911A1 was built in 1945. No new service pistols were added to the U.S. Arsenal over the next 40 years. Only rebuilds.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

my ithaca is bone stock as issued by the US Army in 1944. it has never been modified and has all the original as issued parts. ithaca was the worst of all the 1911A1 makers who provided 1911's for the US military. ive got maybe 2500 rounds through it myself. i have no idea how many before i got it. the barrel is nearly a smoothbore as there is almost no rifling left. its 67 years old and still prints groups that fit inside the trigger guard.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cheater! You are using the slide and frame to cover the fliers! j/k

Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 303

It will be cost driven, so I would guess polymer will be in the lead from the start. I don't se it happening any time soon. The only part of the govt that can count on regular cuts is the DoD.
I would be interested in seeing the proposed specs. Hammer or striker? Safety or decocker? Minimum capacity? And so on.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Damn, I am glad I was in the Army. I have no dog in this fight/selection concerning any Marine's sidearm choices, but.....Used a 1911A1 for a sidearm when I was slogging around in the beautiful, plush rain forests and jungle landscapes of Central and South America, never had any mishaps, at least, that was the weapons fault. Usually was an ammo issue. Parts were readily available as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always thought the US wouldn't allow Polymer handguns to compete in the contest to see who gets the contract. I'm pretty positive the US has a strict list of must's for Military Sidearms. A couple being Metal Frames and Exposed hammers.

Cane, I understand your plight, I have no beef with the 1911. I just figured with the evolution of the 1911, they've evolved into something that needs to be well maintained in order to function properly...I'd like to see a Mil-Spec 1911 be built now and be put through the Govt tests to see if it'll still pass.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I always thought the US wouldn't allow Polymer handguns to compete in the contest to see who gets the contract. I'm pretty positive the US has a strict list of must's for Military Sidearms. A couple being Metal Frames and Exposed hammers.

Cane, I understand your plight, I have no beef with the 1911. I just figured with the evolution of the 1911, they've evolved into something that needs to be well maintained in order to function properly...I'd like to see a Mil-Spec 1911 be built now and be put through the Govt tests to see if it'll still pass.
the colt series 70 new production would do just fine. any manufacturer that produces a 1911A1 to actual mil-spec as made in ww2 will beat any polygun or glock or wunder9 on the market.

the senators who wanted to give the contract to berreta had to disqualify the 1911A1 as all the ww2 era test guns out performed every candidate in the tests. they made rules it had to be DA/SA 9mm and have a decocker with safety and be 9mm. its also how they disqualified the sig p226 and glock as well. these quals were put in after the 92FS placed dead last in the first rounds. to disqualify the hi-power they inserted the rule of holding 15+1

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-15-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hand on a Bible?
Plastic doesn't bother me a bit, I've owned quite a few - even Glocks. All I would ask for is fair & thorough tests so our service members had something they could depend on. No politics or backroom deals - just a sidearm that will see them through until they can get to their rifle...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #20

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Go back to the 1911A1, there was never anything wrong with them. They will serve their purpose well for another 100 years. Might even throw a hi-cap 1911 in the mix....................

Jim......