45 Revolver - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

45 Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

know what I just saw.......a S&W 500 I think I am in love

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post
I am preparing to buy my first hand gun. I have always been interested in getting a handgun but never got around to it. So I have been looking at the various models on the market and I am seeing kimber with their 1911 automatic, but then I saw Ruger with a revolver at 1/2 the price! Its a single action which is fine for me. I am mainly looking for something that is fun to shoot, and I am intrigued by the single action revolver as something with a bit of history behind it. Also, something anyone with half a brain can shoot and maintain.

That being said, are there any significant negatives to the single action 45 revolver? What should I know before I buy one?

Just to make sure you're clear, the Vaquero and the 1911 shoot different ammunition. The 1911 is .45 ACP, while the Vaquero is .45 Long Colt. The .45LC is more expensive ammunition.

If you are really interested in the single-action revolver design, you might consider a Vaquero in .357 Magnum (which will also function with .38 Special ammunition). This would allow you to shoot at a much better pricepoint, and still have an excellent self-defense capability.

The single-action revolver would be an excellent choice, and a lot of fun. If you choose to go that direction I would encourage you to check out the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), and visit a meet near you.

As far as 1911's, like Matt G said, there are budget priced models, even if you want to stick with one of the more known manufacturers.

The basic Kimber Custom II should be around $700-$800. Springfield Armory "G.I." and "Milspec" models have an excellent pricepoint, well under $1,000. Even Colt seems to be regaining some of its sense, with several models priced under $1,000.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

If you are considering a .45 NMBH, then you may want to get a .45 ACP cylinder for it, that way you can shoot the same ammo as in your .45 1911. You may also want to look at a double action.45 ACP revo like the S&W 625.

For many on the forum, it isnít a matter of which, but a matter of which first.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
know what I just saw.......a S&W 500 I think I am in love

If you are looking for your first revolver, this may not be the best way to go. They are expensive to own, expensive to shoot and will beat the crap out of you with factory loads. If you reload, they can be a lot of fun. You can load it down and still have terrific power with relatively mild recoil.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #15

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, I'll jump in with both feet into this discussion, the .45 revolver being something of which I've had a fair amount of experience. My very first revolver as a kid was a .45 Colt New Service, been sort of hooked on 'em ever since.

The Ruger Blackhawk, in .45 Colt, is a fine gun for casual shooting and hunting. As to ammunition, reloads are plentiful in cowboy action loads, these are sold as "remanufactured" ammunition at bargain prices. And, the factory Winchester and Remington standard loading of a 250~255 gr. bullet at 870 fps is still potent. Think Winchester and Federal also load higher performing defense loadings, and Buffalo Bore cartridges are, well, for bufalo if that's your someday-goal.

Smith still makes some .45 Colt revolvers, though somewhat more costly than the Ruger.

But the old .45 Colt takes a back-seat to nothing else.

Bob Wright

Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #16

Well today I went to a local range and rented a 44 mag and a 357 and I have to say that I am looking at getting a S&W 357 686. There are a few reasons for this.

Fun to shoot
Cheap & available ammo

I was going to rent the 45 long colt but there were out of ammo. That to me was telling. I don't want a gun that I am going to have trouble finding ammo for. I also like being able to shoot 357 or 38's out of it.

Cliff

Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #17

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Well today I went to a local range and rented a 44 mag and a 357 and I have to say that I am looking at getting a S&W 357 686.
Gentelmen, we should be ashamed of ourselves!

Looks like we've drug another one over to the dark side.

Cliff, welcome to the additictive world of firearms.

We share your high!

You seem to be disposed to wheel guns but just to give yourself the experience, you should try an autoloader.

Sticking to the easy to find ammo, I suggest trying a 9mm. Rent a Glock, XD or if you want, any 1911 in 45 ACP. Shoot one box of ammo and verify your S&W 686 is still your soft spot.

Or you can run out at lunch tomorrow and buy that Smith.

OBTW, you didn't mention your impression of the 44 Mag? Little too stout?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #18

Well the 44 mag was a bit to stout for me for a handgun.

I am disposed towards the wheel guns, I might go rent some autoloader and see what I think, but so far I am going with the 357. I really like the simplicity,and the no jamming aspect.

Cliff

Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #19

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Well the 44 mag was a bit to stout for me for a handgun. I am disposed towards the wheel guns, I might go rent some autoloader and see what I think, but so far I am going with the 357. I really like the simplicity,and the no jamming aspect.
You owe it to yourself to try a semi-auto just for the experience. Find a friend that owns one and go shooting together.

Whatever you get, keep it clean.

Jam is an arbitrary term, in my experience; any (style) gun can JAM!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #20

I bought the 357 mag today. Its a bouncing baby S&W 686 357 Magnum I can't wait until my 10 day waiting period is over.....