Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 45 Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 45 Revolver

Hello:

I am preparing to buy my first hand gun. I have always been interested in getting a handgun but never got around to it. So I have been looking at the various models on the market and I am seeing kimber with their 1911 automatic, but then I saw Ruger with a revolver at 1/2 the price! Its a single action which is fine for me. I am mainly looking for something that is fun to shoot, and I am intrigued by the single action revolver as something with a bit of history behind it. Also, something anyone with half a brain can shoot and maintain.

That being said, are there any significant negatives to the single action 45 revolver? What should I know before I buy one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The 1911 was the military's standard issue side arm for 75 years. Anyone with half a brain can maintain and shoot it.

The Ruger SA revolvers are nice for plinking or hunting, but they're not good carry pieces. Also, .45 Colt and .45 ACP are not the same.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only negatives are sllooowwww unload/reload. Like Matt said-fine for plinking, shooting, hunting, but too slow for defense carry. It might make a decent house gun too. The Ruger Blackhawk revolvers are VERY strong and will last your lifetime, and your kids lifetimes with proper care.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

45 auto reload- measured with a good stopwatch. 45 Single Action reload- measured with a good calendar!

MOST 45 single actions are in 45 Colt- bit harder to find than 45 ACP, especially in CHEEP ammo. Bit bulky for concealed carry, enuff power to kill anything that needs killing in this hemisphere.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

Hey thanks for the advice. I'll have to shop around some more, but its a hell of a price difference between $1200 and $550.....hmm can I get both

Cliff

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post
Hey thanks for the advice. I'll have to shop around some more, but its a hell of a price difference between $1200 and $550.....hmm can I get both

Cliff
There are budget friendly 1911s available.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #7

Skip ahead 1 minute and watch this.....

Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordsimmons View Post
Hello: I am preparing to buy my first hand gun. I have always been interested in getting a handgun but never got around to it. So I have been looking at the various models on the market and I am seeing kimber with their 1911 automatic, but then I saw Ruger with a revolver at 1/2 the price! Its a single action which is fine for me. I am mainly looking for something that is fun to shoot, and I am intrigued by the single action revolver as something with a bit of history behind it. Also, something anyone with half a brain can shoot and maintain. That being said, are there any significant negatives to the single action 45 revolver? What should I know before I buy one?
I have both and I like both. With that said, I use the 1911 at least 10 to 1 over the Ruger. Easier to clean and maintain, more comfortable to shoot, equal in accuracy but for personal defense only the 1911 works.

If you want history, both can satisfy. Just depends what history you're looking for.

The Colt wheel gun is steeped in a storied 19th century 'cowboy' past.

The Colt 1911's history starts in the early 20th century with an honored military record.

I have already selected my favorite and would only bias your decision.

I can offer some advice if buying one of every thing you see isn’t in the cards.

Find a range that rents or provides guns, pick out what blows your skirt up and take it for a test drive. You will need to shoot a minimum of 100 rds to get a good feel for each style.

Once you decide on the wheel or the auto loader go another 100 to 200 rds to verify your decision, By this time you have spent <$100 and had a blast (no pun intended) doing it! This small investment has provided you with a lot of data.
A. Do I enjoy this shooting thing or was it an impulse?
B. Have I found the ‘style’ of handgun I’m looking for, or do I need more data?
C. Am I near or at the caliber I want to shoot, or do I need more data?
D. Have I found a brand I favor, or do I need more data?
E. Do I need more data?

Remember the range time and ammo expense is entertainment. This is well spent and provides you the insurance against buying the wrong gun in the beginning.

This would be the logical procedure of finding the correct gun, or you could just run out tomorrow at lunch and buy that Ruger revolver!

You asked.

Good luck.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #9

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Oh yea, WELCOME to the forum!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #10

You know that sounds like a really great idea. I've never shot any of these before so right now I am only guessing. I think what I'll do is go down to the range in milpitas and rent a few handguns and see what I like. Thanks a lot,

Cliff