Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .45 Desert Eagle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Let me be gentle and have a good friend explain the DE;
"Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....JD "

I think that about raps it up.
couple of points in JD's quote i strongly disagree with. they arent aweful just different. they are no more aweful than similar sized 500SW revolvers nor are they any more non-ergo than the 500SW guns.

the gas system is extremely reliable ive been shooting desert eagles before helliwood and the xbox made em popular and ive never seen them fail to function due to the gas system using correct ammo.

its actually a very ingenious design. not a bad idea just different. they are super reliable and incredibly accurate. hits with a 44 version with the stock iron sights can easily be achieved on 1 liter coke bottles at 200yards.

no desert eagle was ever offered in .45 caliber. so what your looking at cant be a desert eagle or your buddy doesnt know what his gun is chambered for.

yes, i used to ccw my 357mag version DE in a shoulder bag not impossible to conceal just difficult

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #12

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Let me be gentle and have a good friend explain the DE;
"Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....JD "

I think that about raps it up.
No that doesn't wrap it up at all and is totally wrong. Usually the people saying someone owns a gun of any type is compensating for something are anti-gunners. You don't want to be included in that group, I'm sure. Your "good friend" needs to learn that some times people just plain want something. The Desert Eagle is not a very practical gun but is just plain fun as hell to shoot, it's reliable (I don't know where you get the idea it has an unreliable gas system) and accurate. It is not a gun you would even try to conceal but why would that make it in any way bad? I carry mine when I'm hunting in a tactical holster that I modified from a cross-chest holster. Your "good friend" needs to actually fire one and spend some time with one before spouting off inaccuracies.
By the way, if it's a .45 it's a Baby Eagle not a Desert Eagle. Totally different gun.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by jeepejeep; 04-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #13

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
DE fan and owner here, I don't get haters. Seems the hater are haters of the caliber but not the gun. It's a massive round, loud, shock waves travel, other shooters at the range without plugs in their ears under their muffs will not like you. That's their problem. To each their own. I really dig it. Sent 100 rounds down range today, loved every pull of trigger. Accuracy, hands down the most accurate pistol I have out of 5. Recoil is amazing for such a big caliber, I could easily shoot 500 rounds in one outing, if I had $450 dollars to burn, without a sore hand, do that with your S&W or Ruger revolver.
I have a DE44.(ah, a 45 cal DE? REALLY?)

Short and to the point: IT ROCKS.

Loud, massive flame ball muzzle flash,exceptional accuracy-if I do my part.

And MUCH,MUCH, easier on the wrist than a .44 revolver.

I CC, in a pouch or satchel, on occasion. I feel safer than in my

mother's womb. Whatever the BG brought, I'll knock him over, and set his

clothes on fire at the same time.

To sum it up, perhaps not the most practical of pistols. But

just thinking about it makes me smile.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
DE fan and owner here, I don't get haters. Seems the hater are haters of the caliber but not the gun. It's a massive round, loud, shock waves travel, other shooters at the range without plugs in their ears under their muffs will not like you. That's their problem. To each their own. I really dig it. Sent 100 rounds down range today, loved every pull of trigger. Accuracy, hands down the most accurate pistol I have out of 5. Recoil is amazing for such a big caliber, I could easily shoot 500 rounds in one outing, if I had $450 dollars to burn, without a sore hand, do that with your S&W or Ruger revolver.
Epic fail at reading post dates. Resurrecting dead threads, LIKE A BOSS!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 24

DE has Risen! Thank you Todd_ for being a part of this Epic Fail.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've shot the 44 mag version and it is a lot of fun! Recoil in the 44 was not much more than what I am used to in a 9mm Glock.

Even though it is a big gun I liked the way it felt in my hand. As an FYI, I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 that I use without the add-on grips so I normally shoot using a "slim" grip.

BUT...for me it was not practical and I would only be firing it about once a month at the range so I passed on purchasing it as I would not be able to sweet talk the better half into one.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The Desert Eagle 50 is a lot a gun, I wish I had one. Maybe not to shoot, but to have in the set. Just to say I got one is good enough for me. If Hi Point made a .50 then I would be looking at them, but the .45 JHP is about all the power I need. In my opinion, if you can handle a .50 then go for it, but the .45 is the real killer.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #18

Liked 129 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I will add to this resurrection by saying that nobody has addressed the fact that DE manufactures a 1911 (or at least their name is on it). Not sure when it hit the market but it has a nice feel. With the exception of the barrel, I believe it's pretty much a MIM gun.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

It is an awe inspiring piece of hardware. Probably why Hollywood loves, loves, loves it. I wanted a 44 for many reasons, well actually I wanted a 454 Casull but when I saw the $1,000 field, $1,500 premier price tag - I had a conversion to 44 mag.

Like everyone at that time, I wanted a Desert Eagel but couldn't afford it. I ended up w Rugers Superblackhawk in 5.5". Great gun - while at range guy pulls out brand new Desert Eagle and since I had 44 mag ammo, he let me fire it - in essence - to break it in for him. It recoiled just like my single action pistol w a whole lotta muzzle jump & an arc to the rear.

It was not as unpleasant as the SW 29 which pretty much comes right back at ya and has been known to smack people upside the head. In fact, it was as easy to shoot as single action but cost 4X more.

Accuracy was good to excellent w all 3 guns as long as you did your part. I like the DEs weight when I'm firing it. Seems to steady the front sight somehow or at least that's my .02

You'll have to reload or move down to 44 spec for double taps. Will it cycle 44 spec ?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Why are we resurrecting 3 year old threads?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Closed Thread