Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .45 Desert Eagle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .45 Desert Eagle

Hi: I am new to this site and somewhat new to firearms. I am wondering about a friend of mine's .45; he just bought it and now he wants to sell it. Does he know something I don't? Is it a good gun? How much is it worth? He said he paid $650 for it brand new. Also why do gun value books differ so much from book to book? I looked at 3 and they all seemed to vary in price quotes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #2

This belongs in the WTS forum.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #3

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
This belongs in the WTS forum.
Hey Zero, off the grid for awhile?
Everything OK?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #4

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcfrisco80443 View Post
Hi: I am new to this site and somewhat new to firearms. I am wondering about a friend of mine's .45; he just bought it and now he wants to sell it. Does he know something I don't? Is it a good gun? How much is it worth? He said he paid $650 for it brand new. Also why do gun value books differ so much from book to book? I looked at 3 and they all seemed to vary in price quotes.
Let me be gentle and have a good friend explain the DE;
"Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....JD "

I think that about raps it up.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcfrisco80443 View Post
You seem to be asking whether you should by the DE in a round about way. I can only tell you that based on my experience in owning an alloy frame .357 model , that you should NOT buy it.

Right out of the box the pistol never fed or ejected reliably. It went back to Magnum Research twice with no improvement. I would pass.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

This has been hashed over before. The ass-hattery over the "Desert Eagle" is ridiculous. "The Desert Eagle" platform carries the .50 AE, 44 Mag., 400 Cor Bon, (rare 41 Mag) and .357 Mag. It is big, unweildey and heavy and not practical except for someone who wants to hunt with a semi auto.

The 9mm, 41 AE, .40 SW and 45 acp are renamed, previously the Jericho 941, which is based on the CZ 75. It is nothing more than a duty size pistol marketed by Magnum Research. There's nothing wrong with the Baby Eagle, which is the model designation given to this series of duty size pistols.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 05-05-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have to add I own a 50 AE, it's not for carry, I'm not a little guy wanting something big. It's pretty simple I like the pistol, like my AMT long slide Auto Mag, not fan favorites but they are truly fun to shoot and something most will not get, but I enjoy shooting them. Before you judge I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time but like the odd pistols for fun. Even more shoot a DE 50 and a AMT Auto mag and tell me they are not fun to shoot.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #8

I have owned a Desert Eagle .50 AE also. Again, it fills a niche and it's a gun. Not much to do with my masculinity or compensation for something.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey Zero, off the grid for awhile?
Everything OK?
Yeah I'm good. I've been doing stuff and working out...and just staying off the net.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 6

DE fan and owner here, I don't get haters. Seems the hater are haters of the caliber but not the gun. It's a massive round, loud, shock waves travel, other shooters at the range without plugs in their ears under their muffs will not like you. That's their problem. To each their own. I really dig it. Sent 100 rounds down range today, loved every pull of trigger. Accuracy, hands down the most accurate pistol I have out of 5. Recoil is amazing for such a big caliber, I could easily shoot 500 rounds in one outing, if I had $450 dollars to burn, without a sore hand, do that with your S&W or Ruger revolver.

Closed Thread