Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   .45 Desert Eagle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/45-desert-eagle-13412/)

jeffcfrisco80443 05-01-2009 06:01 AM

.45 Desert Eagle

Hi: I am new to this site and somewhat new to firearms. I am wondering about a friend of mine's .45; he just bought it and now he wants to sell it. Does he know something I don't? Is it a good gun? How much is it worth? He said he paid $650 for it brand new. Also why do gun value books differ so much from book to book? I looked at 3 and they all seemed to vary in price quotes.

JiroZero713 05-02-2009 08:48 PM

This belongs in the WTS forum.

canebrake 05-02-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiroZero713 (Post 101398)
This belongs in the WTS forum.

Hey Zero, off the grid for awhile?
Everything OK?

canebrake 05-02-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffcfrisco80443 (Post 100877)
Hi: I am new to this site and somewhat new to firearms. I am wondering about a friend of mine's .45; he just bought it and now he wants to sell it. Does he know something I don't? Is it a good gun? How much is it worth? He said he paid $650 for it brand new. Also why do gun value books differ so much from book to book? I looked at 3 and they all seemed to vary in price quotes.

Let me be gentle and have a good friend explain the DE;
"Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....JD "

I think that about raps it up. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

crockett007 05-05-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffcfrisco80443 (Post 100877)

You seem to be asking whether you should by the DE in a round about way. I can only tell you that based on my experience in owning an alloy frame .357 model , that you should NOT buy it.

Right out of the box the pistol never fed or ejected reliably. It went back to Magnum Research twice with no improvement. I would pass.

jeepcreep927 05-05-2009 07:54 PM

This has been hashed over before. The ass-hattery over the "Desert Eagle" is ridiculous. "The Desert Eagle" platform carries the .50 AE, 44 Mag., 400 Cor Bon, (rare 41 Mag) and .357 Mag. It is big, unweildey and heavy and not practical except for someone who wants to hunt with a semi auto.

The 9mm, 41 AE, .40 SW and 45 acp are renamed, previously the Jericho 941, which is based on the CZ 75. It is nothing more than a duty size pistol marketed by Magnum Research. There's nothing wrong with the Baby Eagle, which is the model designation given to this series of duty size pistols.

WDB 05-07-2009 03:27 AM

I have to add I own a 50 AE, it's not for carry, I'm not a little guy wanting something big. It's pretty simple I like the pistol, like my AMT long slide Auto Mag, not fan favorites but they are truly fun to shoot and something most will not get, but I enjoy shooting them. Before you judge I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time but like the odd pistols for fun. Even more shoot a DE 50 and a AMT Auto mag and tell me they are not fun to shoot.

jeepcreep927 05-07-2009 05:36 AM

I have owned a Desert Eagle .50 AE also. Again, it fills a niche and it's a gun. Not much to do with my masculinity or compensation for something.

JiroZero713 05-07-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 101405)
Hey Zero, off the grid for awhile?
Everything OK?

Yeah I'm good. I've been doing stuff and working out...and just staying off the net.

LikeABoss 04-11-2012 11:29 PM

DE fan and owner here, I don't get haters. Seems the hater are haters of the caliber but not the gun. It's a massive round, loud, shock waves travel, other shooters at the range without plugs in their ears under their muffs will not like you. That's their problem. To each their own. I really dig it. Sent 100 rounds down range today, loved every pull of trigger. Accuracy, hands down the most accurate pistol I have out of 5. Recoil is amazing for such a big caliber, I could easily shoot 500 rounds in one outing, if I had $450 dollars to burn, without a sore hand, do that with your S&W or Ruger revolver.