the 44mag - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > the 44mag

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT62 View Post
hello am new to the forum. can any one tell me if a 44mag with a 4 inch barrel kill a black bear. why i ask is i think my wife is getting me one for xmcit's the taurus ultralite.
I did A LOT or research on this subject as I'm backpacking/camping by myself in remote areas for my photography. So protection was my first priority but weight was also a consideration as I trek for miles with a 30-40lb pack. So to drop a bear it comes down to penetration. And high muzzle energy combined with hard cast equal penetration.

So I found that Buffalo Bore's 340gr ++P 44mag ammo has a hard cast flat point and almost 1700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy! That's right up there with the biggest of the big game droppers available, and it shoots out of a relatively lightweight and compact Ruger Redhawk with 4in. barrel. Obviously with the shorter barrel you'll lose a little energy but it's still more than enough to anything I could ever imagine coming across, particularly at close range with you'll need it...

Garrett also makes a 340gr hardcast that has similar specs and also requires a Redhawk or select few other pistols with the structural integrity to handle the blast. And that's the downside, the blast... The hammer put a hole in the back of my hand the first time I shot this ammo out of my 4" Redhawk. And it simply isn't pleasant to shoot. It hurts in fact, unless you have a VERY firm and strong grip. But if there ever comes the time I'll NEED to fire this ammo, I have a feeling I'm going to have a pretty tight grip... And in the meantime I enjoy shooting 44 special out at the range, and throw in a Buffalo Bore every once in a while to amuse my friends at the range. That gun/ammo combo has become the "man test" amongst a few of us that shoot together...

Here's some more info:
Product Line Listing

Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #22

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

A .44 Mag will certainly kill a bear. A lesser caliber like a .357 Mag, a .45 and even a .40 will kill a bear with good shot placement. However a .44 Magnum with a 4" barrel will be tough to get good shot placement and espechially with an Ultralite. The .44 Magnum gives a hell of a kick no matter how easy Clint Eastwood made it look in Dirty Harry. I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel and a steel gun. If the only purpose of this gun is for bear protection I would even go with an 8" barrel and maybe even a bigger cartridge like a .454 Casull, .460 Magnum or even a .500 Magnum. If you think you will use the gun for other reasons like home protection a .44 Magnum with a 6" barrel or even a .357 Magnum and then a steel revolver with a 4" barrel will be easy enough to shoot accurately.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #23

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
A .44 Mag will certainly kill a bear. A lesser caliber like a .357 Mag, a .45 and even a .40 will kill a bear with good shot placement. However a .44 Magnum with a 4" barrel will be tough to get good shot placement and espechially with an Ultralite. The .44 Magnum gives a hell of a kick no matter how easy Clint Eastwood made it look in Dirty Harry. I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel and a steel gun. If the only purpose of this gun is for bear protection I would even go with an 8" barrel and maybe even a bigger cartridge like a .454 Casull, .460 Magnum or even a .500 Magnum. If you think you will use the gun for other reasons like home protection a .44 Magnum with a 6" barrel or even a .357 Magnum and then a steel revolver with a 4" barrel will be easy enough to shoot accurately.
LOVE your avator
Gud answer too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #24

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
LOVE your avator
Gud answer too
Thanks. I actually found that photo on Facebook. PM me your email address if you would like a copy.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
Thanks. I actually found that photo on Facebook. PM me your email address if you would like a copy.
Thanks but if obumma is in a pic i dont want to save it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #26

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This thread is 4 years old....................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
This thread is 4 years old....................
Not anymore

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

When I hear magnum and ultra-lite in the same sentence, two things come to mind: pain, and no follow-up shots.

That said, this thread is older than dirt.

Say good night Gracie.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Closed Thread