the 44mag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > the 44mag

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default the 44mag

hello am new to the forum. can any one tell me if a 44mag with a 4 inch barrel kill a black bear. why i ask is i think my wife is getting me one for xmcit's the taurus ultralite.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Will it? Yes. Should you as a primary weapon. No. Especially in a 4 inch bbl. Too iffy IMO.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

If you are buying a gun to protect yourselves from wild bears then buy the gun that was SPECIFICALLY designed for that.

the S&W Model 500 Revolver

This is like Bear Attacking...OH **** OH **** kind of gun....If I was hiking in bear country I'd be carrying it.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
If you are buying a gun to protect yourselves from wild bears then buy the gun that was SPECIFICALLY designed for that.

the S&W Model 500 Revolver

This is like Bear Attacking...OH **** OH **** kind of gun....If I was hiking in bear country I'd be carrying it.
my bro has one of these. I've fired it once....

emphasis on once....

kicks like a freaking mule, but I have full confidence it would put any creature living in North America right on its @$$....

Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Hell yeah...I mean...jesus...it's probably the only gun in existance right now that could kill a replicant.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .44 mag

To begin with,a hot loaded hardcast bullet fired from a .44 mag is plenty for close range backup pertaining to anything in north america. Even close range hunting is possible with a short barreled .44 mag AS LONG AS HE STAYS WITHIN his personal reasonable distance determined by skill. Just look back at what the father of the .44mag,elmer keith,did with it,while remembering that none of us will ever acchive his level of shooting skill. For someone just starting out in magnum handguns,the .44 is plenty. The .500 S&W,while being totally controllable and fun to shoot(mine don't seem to kick nowhere near that bad),is just too much for the beginner in magnum handguns. Also look at the cost difference between the 2-both in initial purchase price,but also in ammo/loading componets.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT62 View Post
hello am new to the forum. can any one tell me if a 44mag with a 4 inch barrel kill a black bear. why i ask is i think my wife is getting me one for xmcit's the taurus ultralite.
Speaking from experience (not opinion) a 44 Magnum can be very effective. If it's loaded with Buffalo Bore 305 grain flat nose ammo, there is absolutely no North American Game it won't drop. Including Grizzly & Black bears. I pistol hunt every year with a 44 Magnum and I RARELY need to fire twice to drop my game. For emergency self defence multiple shots will likely be necessary.

Now understand that not ALL 44 Mags can load and shoot 305+ grain ammo. And I'm doubting the Taurus Ultralite can handle them. However, Taurus Raging Bull 44 Mag can. I might note here that a light weight 44 Magnum revolver with maximum power loads will recoil beyond your wildest imagination. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a Ruger ALASKAN 44 Magnum as a super effective hiking and back packing pistol.

Here is a REVIEW: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk4.htm

Last edited by Mark F; 12-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #8

When I go camping or hiking in the mountains of NC, GA or TN, I carry a 6" SS Ruger GP100, .357 Mag, with Federal hard cast lead, Vital Shock .357 ammo. That would be plenty for black bear. IMHO. A .44 Mag will still work very good though.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw104 View Post
When I go camping or hiking in the mountains of NC, GA or TN, I carry a 6" SS Ruger GP100, .357 Mag, with Federal hard cast lead, Vital Shock .357 ammo. That would be plenty for black bear. IMHO. A .44 Mag will still work very good though.
There is certainly nothing wrong with a .357 Magnum. I keep a Colt King Cobra .357 handy, and I am comfortable with it. It doesn't quite have the TKO of a 44 Mag. but I would feel safe with it...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
There is certainly nothing wrong with a .357 Magnum. I keep a Colt King Cobra .357 handy, and I am comfortable with it. It doesn't quite have the TKO of a 44 Mag. but I would feel safe with it...
But can it kill replicants like in Blade Runner?

Closed Thread