Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .44 pistol, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .44 pistol, need help

Hello, gentlemen. I've come here seeking your expert advice. I have nothing at all against guns, but I grew up in a household without them so I have no real knowledge of them at all. I'm writing a novel and I want every scene to be as accurate as possible so I have what might seem like a silly question to ask. I've always considered the .44 to be the coolest and manliest handgun in existence, but, as I said, I really know nothing about them. I need to know what this gun would actually do to a person from a distance of about thirty feet. I need the person to be running away and get shot in the back. Would it likely kill them instantly, go through in the process of blowing half of their organs out, could they live for any given period of time afterward? I need this person to have enough life to try and crawl away (with their arms while their legs dangle motionless behind them) before being flipped over on their back to have their pathetic life strangled out of them with the foot of a boot.

I know this may be a very off the wall question, but this scene has to be perfect. If the .44 is too powerful for this character's life to be taken less than instantly, what other type of handgun would you suggest? It's based in modern times so my other favorite, the Colt .45, unfortunately, would not be very likely.

Any input you have is much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMarshDawg View Post
Hello, gentlemen. I've come here seeking your expert advice. I have nothing at all against guns, but I grew up in a household without them so I have no real knowledge of them at all. I'm writing a novel and I want every scene to be as accurate as possible so I have what might seem like a silly question to ask. I've always considered the .44 to be the coolest and manliest handgun in existence, but, as I said, I really know nothing about them. I need to know what this gun would actually do to a person from a distance of about thirty feet. I need the person to be running away and get shot in the back. Would it likely kill them instantly, go through in the process of blowing half of their organs out, could they live for any given period of time afterward? I need this person to have enough life to try and crawl away (with their arms while their legs dangle motionless behind them) before being flipped over on their back to have their pathetic life strangled out of them with the foot of a boot.

I know this may be a very off the wall question, but this scene has to be perfect. If the .44 is too powerful for this character's life to be taken less than instantly, what other type of handgun would you suggest? It's based in modern times so my other favorite, the Colt .45, unfortunately, would not be very likely.

Any input you have is much appreciated.
Ok, this is weird.

What would a .44magnum do to a person? Well, that all depends on what type of round you hit them with, how far they are, where you hit them, how big they are,etc....

Let's say a bad guy is hit center mass at 20ft with a .44magnum hollowpoint from a 7.5" Ruger revolver. He's most likely not going anywhere but down to the ground to be dead right there. There won't be any flipping off his feet like you see in the movies, but it's a powerful cartridge.

Then again, I've seen a full grown deer dropped with a .22lr at 75yrds.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

So a 170lb skinny shot at thirty feet would be dead instantly (that's what I figured). How do I keep him alive for about 1 minute after impact? Shoot him in the shoulder?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Use a .380.

Sure, a movie always has a guy shot in the shoulder that lives.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Everybody knows that a BG shot with a .44 Mag will do 3 back flips and land 27 feet away...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

Forgive me if iam wrong but you sound like you are planning a murder or assasination.But a .44 round would do someone in instantly.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
But a .44 round would do someone in instantly.
Doesn't matter the caliber, it still takes a perfect hit to do someone in "instantly"...

Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. You all seem like a fine bunch. I'm thinking I may not mention what type of pistol it is, although I wanted to. So to be realistic, I need to leave the three backflips and landing 27 feet away out? I was really looking forward to writing that scene

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Greetings!

I offer two suggestions to help with your discovery and research of firearm knockdown and wound authenticity. Although one may delay your writing some.

1). Ultimate shot placement will be the key that gives you all the wound damage you mentioned in your post. If you want them crawling away, your placement of round better be lower lumbar region (lower back) spine.

2). Join the military, be trained to use many powerful small arms and rifles, travel to strange and exotic sh!tholes and get a chance to put your training to use of shot placement effect on someone shooting back at you.

Nothing beats the hell out of real hands on experience.

I hope we have been helpful in answering your question.

Carry on!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I might suggest if you are writing and a significant plot element involves shooting, go find a range and rent a gun for a couple hours. Many ranges rent a selection of firearms, and .44's are common at them (because of the reasons you have already noted yourself). You'll likely pick up insights into shooting that you can't otherwise; such as what does that recoil really feel like, and how hard is it to actually hit a target.

Who knows, you might actually pick up a new hobby.

If you're shooting someone in the back, and you want them to live; I'd guess aim for the lower abdomen, below the diaphram. A .44 hollowpoint would cause profuse bleeding in this area, and the bad guy would bleed out likely in minutes (at least to unconsciousness).

To kill someone instantly would require a shot to the heart or to the head... at least to be sure. There is some debate as to whether or not the shock of a large caliber round anywhere in the thoracic cavity can actually kill an individual instantly. Google hydrostatic shock for more information.

Just fyi... don't know what your character's makeup is, but the most common "major" rounds typically carried that might be used on a person would be the .45, the .40, or the 9mm. They are typically preferred over the .44 (except for hunting and backcountry purposes) because of their sufficient stopping power and greater number of rounds in the weapon.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 07-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.