Is a .44 Magnum enough? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is a .44 Magnum enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

A friend of mine who is an avid bear hunter here in S.W. Oregon told me of a friend of his shooting a treed black bear, pissed the bear off and as the bear came down the tree and he had fired all six rounds from his .44 mag he speed loaded just in time to fire at the bear so close that steam was coming from the wounds. He killed it but I'd suspect he dang near crapped his britches. I carry a .44 mag while out in the woods loaded with 245 gr. hard cast SWC bullets on top of 296 or Accuracy Arms #9 powder, these bullets will go through fairly thick steel so I suspect they could punch through the skull of a black bear though I'd just as soon not have to come to that situation. Adrenaline can and does mess with ones abilities, you may think you can shoot pretty good but under duress it's a whole new ball game.

Last edited by Viking; 03-05-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #42

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
A friend of mine who is an avid bear hunter here in S.W. Oregon told me of a friend of his shooting a treed black bear, pissed the bear off and as the bear came down the tree and he had fired all six rounds from his .44 mag he speed loaded just in time to fire at the bear so close that steam was coming from the wounds. He killed it but I'd suspect he dang near crapped his britches. I carry a .44 mag while out in the woods loaded with 245 gr. hard cast SWC bullets on top of 296 or Accuracy Arms #9 powder, these bullets will go through fairly thick steel so I suspect they could punch through the skull of a black bear though I'd just as soon not have to come to that situation. Adrenaline can and does mess with ones abilities, you may think you can shoot pretty good but under duress it's a whole new ball game.
This is so true. More than once I have seen someone start shooting wildly at deer a very short distance away and not hit anywhere near them. Call it buck fever or whatever but it happens.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #43

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

anyone who says black bear or any other creature on the North American continent cannot be killed with either a 357 or 44 I would venture to say doesn't know what they are talking about. If you are being attacked it will likely be at very close range, and if it isn't at close range you will have some explaining to do with the local game wardens, a point blank shot from either of these guns is gonna make it a very bad day for the bear. The black bear is highly unlikely to attack in the first place, even if provoked, sure it happens but not likely, if you leave the cubs alone you shouldn't ever have a problem. I will carry my 40 s&w or my 357 any day and not worry about any animal in the woods including wolves and cougars, which are much smaller than bears and would be that much easier to kill if you can hit them. I am a former bear hunter and used hounds, I have seen bear killed with handguns on many occasions and none were larger than the 44. I have seen bear killed with a glock 40 s&w I have also stood at the bottom of a tree when the bear slid down more times than I can think of and the bear never once even looked like it was going to come at me, their normal reaction is to run like hell in the opposite direction you are in. The bear population in my area is getting quite ridiculous the last few years due to stupid DNR hunting regs and being attacked by one is the furthest thing from my mind, I'd worry more about a pack of coyotes at night or wolves before bears, but if you would like to carry for protection from bears, what you have is more than sufficient.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

But seriously, if a .44 mag isn't enough, I'm not sure i want to be around there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #45

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
But seriously, if a .44 mag isn't enough, I'm not sure i want to be around there.
Aint that the truth!!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #46

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Jon M is correct I think.

I do a shrouded 2-1/2" .357 with Federal Premium Vital Shock Castcore bullets in Black Bear country when backpacking and a shrouded 3" .44 Mag with Buffalo Bore Low Recoil in Brown Bear territory. The bullet is the key. These hard, heavy, semi-wadcutters will do incredible, necessary, damage to stop your large predators.

A soft .357 may not penetrate a Black Bear's head! A .44 Mag soft or HP MAY be acceptable for a Black Bear via overkill but I would prefer a hard .357 like Federal's to be honest. The potent load and astounding Keith bullet in the .44 Mag Buffalo Bore is a blessing in a little or light .44. I carry this in Alaska. For Grizzly I would minimally even accept a .41 Mag (which would actually be my first choice in a smaller, lighter, framed pistol if available).

JTJ, a Grizzly is a Brown Bear, and the rest is whimsical.

PS: Friends don't let friends buy Taurus revolvers.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-06-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #47

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is a 44 mag enough?

You are absolutely correct in everything said about black bears. Coyotes and wolfs would be my main concern for sure. Not to mention the two legged varieties. Coyotes are our biggest problem here in Iowa, as well as a few wild hogs. Thank you for your input. Dogwalk

Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #48

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The only time I actually came face to face with a bear in the woods was when I was hunting for Blue Grouse with a side by side 12 gauge loaded with regular shot. I came around a corner of a hill and there he was, sitting on his butt eating grubs out of a stump about 100 feet away. I walked away cautiously while he sat there. I wonder if I could have stopped him with the shotgun if he would have came after me?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #49

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When you are in Brown Bear country and you see his signs you can get damn nervous. I notice many who have posted on this subject do not live in Brown Bear areas. It would take iron will to stand and fire anything at a charging Grizz. I have two friends who lived thru Grizz attacks. They won and killed the bears. But both were badly wounded and spent months in the hospital.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #50

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
When you are in Brown Bear country and you see his signs you can get damn nervous. I notice many who have posted on this subject do not live in Brown Bear areas. It would take iron will to stand and fire anything at a charging Grizz. I have two friends who lived thru Grizz attacks. They won and killed the bears. But both were badly wounded and spent months in the hospital.
yep, the griz is a whole different critter, I wouldn't want to run across one