Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is a .44 Magnum enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I see a recurring theme here. Do NOT i repeat do NOT use hollowpoints on larger than coyote animals!!!!!!!!

you will end up inside the bear!!!!!

Hp ammo even in the hottest loading doesnt have the juice to get through thick hide meat and bone in a bear. It will leave shallow surface wounds only. Hollowpoints expand and radically slow down and do not it through to the thickly armored boiler room.

Use hardcast flat nosed soft points if your main worry is bears they work easily as well for sd rounds if needed in the woods against human goblins

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #22

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The best chance you have of stopping a bear if you have a choice is the front legs. Big bears are shot in the front legs and then finished. A bear shot thru the heart can cover 100 yds, and kill you before he dies. A bear with busted front legs can not attack.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I see a recurring theme here. Do NOT i repeat do NOT use hollowpoints on larger than coyote animals!!!!!!!!

Hp ammo even in the hottest loading doesnt have the juice to get through thick hide meat and bone in a bear. It will leave shallow surface wounds only. Hollowpoints expand and radically slow down and do not it through to the thickly armored boiler room.

Use hardcast flat nosed soft points if your main worry is bears they work easily as well for sd rounds if needed in the woods against human goblins
This is why I have the 265-grain FPs in my .44 mag instead of the HPs when I think I might encounter a hostile four-legged critter. The penetration has to be there.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I just witness one of those damn worthless hollowpoint bullets tear through a very large buffalo and finally come to rest under the offside shoulder skin.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #25

Liked 4671 Times on 2258 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I had a female black with 2 cubs scare the scat out of me while fishing Yakitat AK back in 99 unarmed. Fortunately, I did not get between her and her cubs and they all 3 toddler off. It did rattle me enough to seek advice from 2 of the local guides who both recommended then showed me their 44 Mags. One 4" the other 3". I was surprised they went so short on the barrels but in response they both said that every fatal near attack they'd seen or heard about where the victim was armed with long barreled handgun was found with that hog leg either still holstered or hung up half drawn. I'm no bear expert but I'll take advice from those who know more so I went with an S&W 629 3" Mountain Gun loaded with 240 gr Soft Points. Hope I never need it.

Tack

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I have never had any run in with bears. But I do know that if you carry a slung rifle or shot gun muzzle up over one shoulder you can get it on target quicker than most people can draw.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Check out this thread

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/bug-idea-57987/

The thread above will show you the minimum you need to carry for bear.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
.44 mag will take down a bear. If you feel you do need more power, get something like a .454 (it is pricy). If you want even more power, get a revolver that fires .45-70 (magnum research makes them)
With excellent bullet placement, yes. Good luck when you're being charged (which, by the way, it exceedingly rare for black bears). I live in bear country and every year there's a report of someone shooting a black bear with a .44M and the bear just shakes it off. I carry a .454Casull with hard cast bulltets.

But....the risk of a fatal traffic accident is over 28,500 times more likely than a black bear attack.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #29

44mag is more than enough for black bear as is 357mag and 10mm with cast lead rounds. Brown bears and polar bears are another story as we're talking about animals that can weigh as much as 2000lbs. A 44Mag with hand loads or good ammo like buffalo bore is said to do the trick with good shot placement but if I lived somewhere like Alaska or Montana I would feel much better with 454, 480, 500, etc

Last edited by shooter57; 02-18-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #30

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57
44mag is more than enough for black bear as is 357mag and 10mm with cast lead rounds. Brown bears and polar bears are another story as we're talking about animals that can weigh as much as 2000lbs. A 44Mag with hand loads or good ammo like buffalo bore is said to do the trick with good shot placement but if I lived somewhere like Alaska or Montana I would feel much better with 454, 480, 500, etc
I shoot 280 & 300 grain cast lead bullets out of my freedom arms 454 for hunting

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did