Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Is a .44 Magnum enough? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/44-magnum-enough-57885/)

BlueTurf 02-16-2012 08:32 PM

Is a .44 Magnum enough?

I like to have a handgun with me when I am in the outdoors fishing, hunting, hiking or whatever. For many years I packed my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. I used the 158-grain JSP bullet loaded for 1250 fps. I thought this round would be good for protection against any dangerous animals I might encounter because it would have good penetration. Recently I started carrying my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It has a 7.5" barrel. For protection against animals I use the Hornady 265-grain FP loaded for 1350 fps. I figure it would also suffice for dangerous bad guys.

A guy I know told me I needed more than the .44 mag for protection against bears, specifically black bears that are native to this area. There are also a lot of wolves in the woods around here. He said I needed a .454 Casull like he has. I feel comfortable carrying my .44 mag and that is what I will continue to do.

Where does the power trip stop? I am sure there are more than a few handgunners out there who would like to have something even more powerful than the 500 SW mag. Any thoughts on this?

texaswoodworker 02-16-2012 08:41 PM

.44 mag will take down a bear. If you feel you do need more power, get something like a .454 (it is pricy). If you want even more power, get a revolver that fires .45-70 (magnum research makes them)

orangello 02-16-2012 09:04 PM

I don't live in "bear country" thank heavens, but i would think accuracy would also be important. I doubt the bear would be willing to wait while your wrist recovers from the first couple of rounds from a hand cannon.

Not to be a dick, but if you need something larger than a .44mag handgun for protection, why not use your hunting rifle or sling a 12 guage pump with some slugs?

HOSSFLY 02-16-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTurf (Post 710742)
I like to have a handgun with me when I am in the outdoors fishing, hunting, hiking or whatever. For many years I packed my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. I used the 158-grain JSP bullet loaded for 1250 fps. I thought this round would be good for protection against any dangerous animals I might encounter because it would have good penetration. Recently I started carrying my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It has a 7.5" barrel. For protection against animals I use the Hornady 265-grain FP loaded for 1350 fps. I figure it would also suffice for dangerous bad guys.

A guy I know told me I needed more than the .44 mag for protection against bears, specifically black bears that are native to this area. There are also a lot of wolves in the woods around here. He said I needed a .454 Casull like he has. I feel comfortable carrying my .44 mag and that is what I will continue to do.

Where does the power trip stop? I am sure there are more than a few handgunners out there who would like to have something even more powerful than the 500 SW mag. Any thoughts on this?

The guy you know don't know spit-
Carry your 44 & keep good rounds in it - Be dam sure you can hit what you shoot at with it tho-----aint bein a smart ass - The mentioned 45-70 is useless if it dont hit the target!! (Dam, aint we heard that someplace before?
:p:p)

texaswoodworker 02-16-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 710777)
aint bein a smart ass - The mentioned 45-70 is useless if it dont hit the target!! (Dam, aint we heard that someplace before?
:p:p)

Yeah, the 45-70 is good for the first shot, after that, your hands and wrist are going to hurt, and it will take forever to get back on target. :D

Jeepergeo 02-16-2012 10:51 PM

There are several solutions to your dilemma on the following web site:;)

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Here's a photo of one you can buy for a measly $445K.:D

http://www.armyjeeps.net/M18Helcat/M...at-2_small.JPG

HOSSFLY 02-16-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepergeo (Post 710876)
There are several solutions to your dilemma on the following web site:;)

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Here's a photo of one you can buy for a measly $445K.:D

http://www.armyjeeps.net/M18Helcat/M...at-2_small.JPG

Them come with mag wheels? :cool:

30-30remchester 02-17-2012 12:08 AM

Having shot only 3 bears and none with a handgun, I defer to a hunter that has shot literally hundreds of black bears with a handgun as a control hunter. He experemented with many guns and loads and HIS advise I hede as he has been there and done that many times. His assesment is the 44 magnums was the best blackbear round he ever used when loaded properly. Trying many different bullet types he was a confirmed believer is standard 240 grain soft point or hollowpoints. He said while the heavier non expanding bullets did completely penetrate the bear, the bear had little reaction when shot with one unless the head or spine was hit. The simply had plenty of fight left in them till the ran out of blood from the little hole the solid made in them. When using 240 grain, the velocity is higher the bullets expand well, penatrate well, and when hit with this load the fight , he reports, instantly leaves the bear and he starts biting at his wound, and dies considerably faster than any other handgun he ever used. Again this man has more experence than anyone will ever have again, as the days of control hunting is fairly much a thing of the past. I personaly dislike the single action as many times the incident happens so fast, you simply dont have the time and mental capicity to think about cocking the gun when your your leg is being chewed on. Many reports of combat shooting where one participant had been so shook up he forgot to even pull the trigger, repeatly jacking shells from his gun and reloading. I like the idea pull and shoot, no safeties, no cocking.

JonM 02-17-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTurf (Post 710742)

long as your using hardcast buffalo bore 44mag non-hp rounds that gun will core a bear out. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48 i would use that. it was developed specificly to put the largest bears on their asses.

it will outperform some 500mag loadings.

personally i think if your toting around anything bigger than a ruger redhawk 44 you should prolly be carrying a 45-70 lever gun...

Durangokid 02-17-2012 01:43 AM

I know of many Grizz attacks. There is one thing for sure. If you are attacked by a Grizz it will be fast unexpected and you may survive. Most people I know who survived used a handgun in the last minutes of life or death. The Grizz hits fast with force you are not likely to hold on to your long gun. While the bears has your head in his mouth that handgun may still be strapped to your body. You maybe able to press it to his body and shoot. This won't often be a Hollywood movie moment where you can aim and shoot. It will be over in a few moments of intense Hell.:eek: