Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster
You know what's funny about this thread up to now?

The member who posted the question is not online.

He has not specified wether he wants a ccw or home protection handgun.

What price range, skies the limit or hi-point level.

We are a bunch of gun nut's aren't we. Lol.
Sorry I was at work. And I love the discussions bc I'm learning so much. It's for home protection and I'm looking around 5-600 not afraid to go over but that's what I'm trying to stay close to

Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #22

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha91

Sorry I was at work. And I love the discussions bc I'm learning so much. It's for home protection and I'm looking around 5-600 not afraid to go over but that's what I'm trying to stay close to
If it's not going to be a ccw (carry concealed weapon) then I would recommend an all steel, large frame pistol or a revolver.

Taurus makes the PT100 which is 40 S&W, all steel and an awesome shooting handgun. My home protection pistol is a Jericho 941 in 40 S&W. they are hard to find but I've never shot anything better. They are also known as the Baby Desert Eagle ll by Magnum Research. CZ also makes excellent 40 S&W pistols.

I recommend you find a range that rents and see what they've got available so that you can try out a few.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yea that's what I'm doing as I get input on here as well and I live in Illinois so no ccw for me

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19991 Times on 11365 Posts
Likes Given: 50430

i'd have to give the same suggestion. try out many and find one that suits you. the pistol that fits you, is usually the one you can hit with more accurately. as the 40 does have a sharper recoil, i say in that caliber, it's imperative that it fit you well if you expect to shoot it accurately.

as you mentioned it would be for SD, i would also suggest an all steel pistol over a polymer. the heavier the pistol, the more it will absorb the recoil. i have owned many 40's since they were introduced, from all steel to polymer, and right now i have a fondness for the polymers for myself.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #25

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Have not tried that one...

Shot sever other compacts and subs in .40 and found them way too snappy for my liking but that's a preference thing. Just known many folk who went .40 on there first CCW gun and could not handle the "pop"... and wound up loosing money stepping up to a bigger gun or stepping down to 9 mm.

I've been a pistol shooter and EDC guy for 17 years and I find the .40 to be more recoil "muzzle flip" than the .45 ACP.

It's very manageable "for me" in a full size platform like the 226... but just way to much torque in the compacts... but if other can handle it, more power to em!

Tack
I have a buddy who is new to handguns and ccw. He took his course using a friends Taurus compact 9mm (not sure of exact pistol) and drove tacks with it. Then he went out with a couple friends and shot 5-10 diff. Handguns. After a long search, he went with the S& W Shield in .40. For him, it has has proven to be a great choice...muzzle jump was not a problem...driving tacks and touching shots first time out...with the first 50 rounds (and only) that he had. Definitely important factor (personal preference that is)

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #26

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Glock 23. Great gun as is and there's a lot of mods you can make to make it even better though they are not necessary. If you want a 9MM or 357 SIG, just swap barrels.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
Glock 23. Great gun as is and there's a lot of mods you can make to make it even better though they are not necessary. If you want a 9MM or 357 SIG, just swap barrels.
Yea I was just looking at that one. Hopefully I can get to a gun range soon to try it out.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #28

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have four pistols in .40 S&W, I like all of them but would not recommend the two out-of-print models, solely due to the lack of availability of parts, magazines, holsters, add-ons.
Recommended:
Kahr K40:

SigSauer P239:

Not Recommended:
CZ100:

Astra A75:

Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #29

Liked 4561 Times on 2207 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha91 View Post
This might sound crazy but I've introduced many, many "virgin" shooters to my handgun collection in order for them to:

A. Learn to safely handle and shoot a handgun and...

B. Figure out what "they" like given a nice array of DA/SA Auto, SA Only Auto, Striker Fired, and DA/SA revolvers.

At the end of the session I always ask the group which platform they liked the best... and the vast majority, evenly distributed between men and women, adults and teens, over 90%, have pointed to my full size 5" Colt 1911.

Moral of the story... don't forget to shoot the old "slab side .45"

...and yes, you can get them in .40

Good Luck,

Tack
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #30

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
I have four pistols in .40 S&W, I like all of them but would not recommend the two out-of-print models, solely due to the lack of availability of parts, magazines, holsters, add-ons.
Recommended:
Kahr K40:

SigSauer P239:

Not Recommended:
CZ100:

Astra A75:

Why don't you like the CZ100? I've shot several CZ's, not the 100, and have only good things to say. CZ's reputation is outstanding in the handgun world. Curious.