.40 M&P Shield for Carry? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .40 M&P Shield for Carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did not care for the recoil on the .40, it was very uncomfortable to shoot. My husband hated it too. Traded it for a Glock 23 which I love. I do have a Shield 9mm which I like a lot and do on occasion carry although I prefer something with a higher capacity. But it is light and conceals very easily. If you don't mind the snappiness of it and shoot it well, you should be very happy with it.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 170 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Thanks everyone, went with 40c versus shield, the number of rounds in a shield versus the compact was the factor. Yea yea, I know, 95% of all CCW confrontations end without a shot being fired. Yea yea, the average is only 3 shots. Would rather have it and not need it versus needing it and not having it.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Give it 500 rounds befor doing anuthing trigger wise. Should smooth up . If not a trigger block change for the apex version does the job.

My wife has a 9mm compact and it is a sweet pistol. Remember to get a X grip adaptor if you buy full size m&p mag as back up or for the range .

Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Hardluk, how did you know I had trouble with the trigger and yup, I looked at Apex already. Hoping it loosens up. Have about 350 rounds into first time out, except for the trigger pull that was a little awkward and heavy at 6.5 lbs. Felt like 10 pounds. Kept left pushing it but otherwise very accurate once I fix my pull.

15105_10203824579358678_3000916619803305368_n.jpg  

Last edited by LikeABoss; 05-14-2014 at 01:01 AM. Reason: because

Old 05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #15

These are still smaller light pistol. Not shoot anymore than you can control . When your groups open up ?? Your done or at least change to a .22 rifle or pistol and have fun for a while. I limit my quality shoots with my smaller kahrs to 100 rounds max. The cm9 limit is 50 or when I start to see fliers when try'n to shoot decent groups.

Bet your getting your trigger finger on the joint between the fingers pads. Move your finger to a different spot on the trigger to see if you can u'r shots back to center. maybe the first pad will pull those groups up . Even try one handed and see what happens. I only mention this as my wife was having a fit with two handed grip and group size with a new to her pistol. I had her try just right handed to watch what was going on and then notice her groups shank 200% with fliers. Werd.

Don't shoot your type handguns with your new one. Got to have range time on just your new one. to get the 6lb trigger feeling like 6lbs .HA

Go over to m&p.pistol forum or smith&wessonforum and see what low cost tricks guys are doing with the trigger to improve them. A reduced pressure striker spring from wolf will go a along way IF it proves dependable. And some very controlled grinding and polishing of the striker block works to smooth the trigger pull. Guess its more about what you can live for a trigger pull or what can do before you Fugg something up and have to buy a replacement piece. I know know. You use to be able to buy just striker blocks from apex for the M&P and that alone will smooth a trigger . Not sure if the larger M&P striker block is the same as yours or if they still sell them be them self. Was a 32 buck item. I don't have a shield but wife has a m&p9c that I did a apex carry kit for her and have shoot a few shields, both stock and tuned doing range swaps . You tread, talk , listen and learn. Good luck with your shield.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2014, 02:52 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just ordered the Apex, on Amazon for $129, can't stand the trigger. No hope getting used to it after 600 rounds, no hope.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #17

Bring buddies and till them to just shoot the dang thang !! Sit down and watch, maybe help load mags. You'll like it after the kit. and the rest of the break in. I got a to swap guns with a guy that had done the apex kit in his 9mm shield a year or so ago. Gives you a nice smooth pull for sure.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #18

I carried a beretta nano for awhile and got a shield 40...now the nano sits in the safe and my shield always goes with me. Shoots great, handles great, very accurate for me. The ergonomics just work better. I already had a s&w m&p 9c, so the shield was the choice when I consigned a glock I never was a fan of. Best choice I have made. To make the shield eve better, put some talon grip rubber grips on it.