Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   .40 M&P Shield for Carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/40-m-p-shield-carry-106333/)

LikeABoss 04-20-2014 01:00 AM

.40 M&P Shield for Carry?

Anyone carrying or has carried M&P Shield in .40 for concealed carry? Looking for pros and cons.

JW357 04-20-2014 01:12 AM

Sorry don't own one.

Seems like a solid firearm though.

I might buy a 9mm version someday. I love how it feels in my hand. Maybe I'll rent one soon.

otisthecat 04-20-2014 01:49 AM

Conceals well, shoots well, decent price, I've been pleased with mine. Took a bit for me to get used to how snappy it can be, but I shoot it often enough that it's not a problem anymore.

sweeper22 04-20-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeABoss (Post 1562429)
Anyone carrying or has carried M&P Shield in .40 for concealed carry? Looking for pros and cons.

40sw Shield for carry? Absolutely, if you shoot it well.

40sw is a good defense caliber and the Shield is a really good gun. But 40sw can be snappy in a way that doesn't lend itself to quick follow-up shots with smaller guns, which is why I generally carry 9mm or 45acp. And while I like literally everything else about the Shield, I dislike it's difficult-to-deactivate micro thumb safety. And that's why I carry an XDs45 or XDs9.

I had an M&P Shield 9mm. It was an outstanding gun. But I just didn't love the safety. I tend to keep a 357sig/40sw G23/32 around as a truck and woods gun. Good caliber, good gun...in a medium package. But not the right caliber in a subcompact for my tastes.

DrFootball 04-20-2014 02:43 AM

The only 40 I have shot was my Friends' Ruger SR40C for the first time last weekend. The barrel is what I would consider the "Right size " for a carry gun in that Caliber, 3.75 inches. While I'm not Recoil sensitive or a Recoil "Addict," I know folks who are, including my Better Half. Smaller guns in Major calibers are going to jump, much like the Old Detonics 45ACP I had

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

LikeABoss 04-22-2014 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone, snappy for sure;

Mouser 04-22-2014 12:26 AM

I have a 9mm Shield and love the platform. I am sure a 40 would be good too...I just chose an extra round over extra power...I have no regrets as the gun is a good size for most carry situations except for those Speedo days :eek:

fa35jsf 04-22-2014 12:54 AM

I have one and carry it from time to time. My daily carry is a full size 1911 so the shield is small to me when I carry it. The thumb safety is sort of small for my liking but not too bad to snap off when you get use to it and it gets broken in.

As far as snappy goes, I don't really notice it in the 40 but then again I also carry it with the extended mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

hardluk1 04-22-2014 01:03 PM

Your going to find pros and cons on any handgun you buy. Lots of people folks own them and carry them. If you can deal with the snap of a smaller some what light weight 40 go for it.

pioneer461 04-26-2014 03:17 PM

As long as you are comfortable with the pistol, and are able to operate it, then by all means you should carry it. It's a personal matter that only you can decide. What anyone else carries is irrelevant. I've carried a .40 S&W in various forms since 1994. I currently prefer the Springfield XD sub-compact, stoked with Hornady Critical Duty ammo.

That's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.