Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 40 or 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
that's an understatement...

I called the PD just now. I was politely informed that there is a huge backlog from Hurricane Sandy (that was in November BTW) and they only got 10 applications in December (I handed mine in on Dec. 7th) but they got close to 40 in January. The Captain was out on vacation the week before last and this was off Friday as well. He also told me he didn't have my file which means that the file is on the captain's desk as we speak, so that could be mean it's a matter of a few days.

I felt like for such a long and polite description of the reasoning why I'm waiting more than the requisite 30 days, I could wait a few more days before reaching out to the Captain directly and inquiring as to the delay.
The backlog isn't from Sandy, the backlog is from Newtown.

I'm in Hillsborough, Somerset County, and I got my permits in less than four weeks three years ago. Saturday was 29 days, spoke to the dispatcher, she couldn't give me a status, but said permits are running 10-12 weeks. I was not happy (but remained polite). She gave me the number of the civilian police employee that deals with all the paperwork during the week.

When I spoke to her to see where the bottleneck is, she said the state police background and the county mental check.

I emailed my assemblyman and basically said WTF, can you get me a contact on the state police to call? I asked for that rather then ask for him to intervene (even if he could) but he said he would check into it. He is a decent guy for a pol.

For those not familiar with NJ law, a purchase permit must be applied for and received prior to purchasing a handgun. One per thirty days, with rare exceptions possibly granted (matched set pistols, for instance). Long guns can be purchased at any time.

As for the guy that said this is unconstitutional, well, he is right. But don't friggin' blame me that I live in a blue state with clueless liberals the rule, not the exception. I brought this up with the assemblyman, asked him how it would sit with him if he wanted to change churches and the state said, whoa, hold on, we'll get back to you in two or three months.

This guy isn't a gun guy, but he is republican at least, and I'm kinda taken it on myself to educate him about the viewpoint of his gun enthusiast constituents. He seems to be pretty curious about my views and I think he is "getting it". Hopefully.

Blue1

Last edited by Blue1; 02-06-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #42

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswolfe
Yea I would like to get into comp shooting that why I was wondering ever says 1911 are they that much better of a gun
I you are looking at IPSC/USPSA limited division, you want a double stack .40 - specifically a double stack .40 that is a 1911 design. .40 or .45 can make major power factor but .40 has slightly better capacity and even slightly better capacity can make a considerable difference on some stages considering the top and middle of the pack are often separated by tenths of a second. A Para Ordnance P-16 Limited is a decent option if you don't have $1500-$2500 to spend on a custom STI or SVI.

The other option is limited 10 - same as limited rules but you are capped at 10 round capacity (where in the regular limited division you can use 140mm mags that will hold 19 to 20 rounds of 40). The only problem with limited 10 is many smaller clubs will only have a decent number of shooters for Open and Limited Division....and maybe production division but you already have a decent pistol for production. You might check for IPSC/USPSA clubs in your area to see what they offer - I believe most clubs are still listed on the USPSA website by area.

For open, limited or limited 10, you want a 1911 or 2011. If you want to run in the space-gun, race -gun open division, that is usually .38 super, .38 super comp, 9x23, 9x25 territory. Open division isn't all that practical (red dot or holo optics, compensators, 170mm 27-28 round mags, etc) but it is a helluva lot of fun. It's also pretty damn expensive to get started - open division pistols are pricey to say the least.

If you want some info on overall gear, pistol mods, ammo selection, etc. let me know - I shot in USPSA limited division for several years.

Last edited by weapon; 02-06-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1

The backlog isn't from Sandy, the backlog is from Newtown.
Well the dude I spoke with told me there was a backlog before I applied (which was December 7th) because the clerk that handles submissions lost her home in the storm and was unable to put in full work weeks. She returned back to work full time right before Christmas. Add to that the 10 applications in December and then the huge rush from sandy hook and it makes for an even longer delay.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Well the dude I spoke with told me there was a backlog before I applied (which was December 7th) because the clerk that handles submissions lost her home in the storm and was unable to put in full work weeks. She returned back to work full time right before Christmas. Add to that the 10 applications in December and then the huge rush from sandy hook and it makes for an even longer delay.
OK, my bad, I didn't realize you had a specific local situation.

Blue1

Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #45

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you're going to get a 10mm why go 10mm Lite?

Just get the .45 ACP, you'll be happy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #46

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

God invented the 45 the FBI invented the 40

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5200 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 4427

Why would you want a .45 when you can have a .40???

Golda Meier.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #48

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Why would you want a .45 when you can have a .40???
That's like asking why you would wont a blond model when you can have a $5 hooker.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #49

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts

Been out of town for a while. Miss my wife, miss my kids, really miss the feeling of my .45 on my side.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #50

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15
I hate the .40. With a round with that much presser you would expect much better ballistics.
I won't big bullets (.45), a lot of bullets (9mm), or overall powerful bullets (.357sig or 10mm). Anything in between doesn't cut it for me.
You know horniday critical defense rounds in .40 carries more ft lbs and greater fps than the .45? On the other side, the .45 makes a bigger hole