.380 vs. 9mm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 vs. 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. With this excellent ammo it shoots very well with mild recoil. A guy just killed a burglar with one round of .22LR so how much do you need?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5975 Times on 2073 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Gentlemen, the Sig Sauer 938 9mm gives you the best of both worlds. A stronger round (Hornady Zombie) and very concealable.

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #13

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Overkill has it right.

It depends on the size and materials used in your firearm. A heavier and larger frame will handle the recoil better.

Take the Rugers LCP (380) and LC9 (9mm), for example. A 380 ball is nearer, in size, that of a 9mm than far, however, it's also a shorter brass with less powder, thus decreased "bang", so the felt recoil would be less with the round itself. But put that in the smaller frame of an LCP and there's less there to absorb that blowback. I owned both for a time and the LCP kicked like a mule, way harder than the LC9.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #14

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

.380 ammunition costs more and is less powerful. It's nothing more than a 9 MM short, (Kurz). It has a following because of the small framed pistols that chamber it. I can't see having to pay more for less power ammunition wise. And as far as conceal ability, the Glock 26 is all but perfect and still gives you 12 rounds of full power 9 MM. You sacrifice nothing, and the gun has much better sights than any .380, with the only exception being the Sig.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango
Gentlemen, the Sig Sauer 938 9mm gives you the best of both worlds. A stronger round (Hornady Zombie) and very concealable.
I couldn't agree more. Loved my sig p238 but sold it and bought the p938 as soon as I could get my hands on one. After pissing away a lot of money over the years I think I have finally found the perfect balance between stopping power and a gun small and light enough to always be carrying. Plus it is comfortable to shoot. Not mu ch more noticeable recoil than the p238.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The .380 has less gunpowder, therefore it will always be less powerful than a 9mm Parabellum fired from a barrel of equal length. Small guns kick more than big guns. Many people are now discovering that ultra tiny or ultra light weight often means ultra uncomfortable to shoot. Often the magazine ads don't mention that. Alternatively, bigger and heavier guns are harder to hide and they are heavier. Hope that helps.

Last edited by superc; 09-06-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added two words

Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I primarily have two carry guns: a 380 and a 9mm. Recoil is entirely dependent upon the pistol.

My 9mm is a Ruger SR9C. I can shoot that gun all day long and it doesn't bother me.

My 380 is a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. That gun is horrible to shoot. Although less powerful than the 9, it is very thin and cuts into the webbing of my hand. It is downright exhausting. But I never intended it to be a range gun. It fits its purpose as a pocket pistol quite well.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #18

I'm not a fan of large calibers, .380 and 9mm are fine. But at times I also carry a .32

Bersa Thunder .32
Bersa Thunder .380
Ruger SR9c

Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I carry a full size 1911 at all times, except for those rare occasions when I walk out the door in shorts and t shirt. Then a Sig P232 380 gets slipped in the pocket with Winchester Ranger Talons or Buffalo Bore ammo. I also have a S&W 3913 and G17 but the first is the kitchen gun and the latter is on the nightstand. Rarely do I carry either even with Tucker leather for both. But since the wife may need to use one of them and she is fairly small, the 9's with +P+ Winchester Talons stay loaded in the house.

To me, either the 380 or 9 is a last resort weapon. Been in an altercation where I was carrying my Kahr MK9 (since sold) and almost had to draw on a drunk, or should I say a big mad drunk. Never felt so undergunned in my life and have never carried less than a 357SIG G32 after that night. Clint Smith basically says, a pistol should be comforting not comfortable, and I go with that now. If you ever get to the point of needing to draw, and only have a 380 or 9, you may feel undergunned too. But I'd certainly rather have my P232 than nothing, for sure. And to your original question, a 9 first and foremost, a 380 if nothing else is available. Good hollowpoints in both.

Last edited by NativH; 09-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #20

I NEVER feel undergunned with a .380 or 9mm unless three guys with AK's are coming at me.
The .380 will do an excellent job if you make good shot placement. Doubt anyone can still smile with a couple rounds of .380 in their chest.
I know the .40 S&W and .45 have much more power, but I am confident the .380 & 9mm will do the job.

Bersa Thunder .32
Bersa Thunder .380
Ruger SR9c

Newest Threads