Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My wife was looking for something along the lines that you are looking. She liked the Bersa. She now owns one. The larger size means better control on recoil and a more comfortable gun to shoot. I liked it myself.

Myself, I had the Kel Tec (Traded it for the Bersa. My friend's wife liked the KT, mine the Bersa, so we swapped. Imagine that!) and now have a Taurus TCP for a pocket gun. Yes, the smaller models can be less fun to shoot, but they aren't carried for fun. I like the ergonomics of the Taurus better than the Kel Tec. The Taurus is priced a bit higher than the KT but cheaper than the Ruger and definately less than the S&W, primarily due to the included laser.

So many choices, so little money.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I own a few of the amt backup 380's in single action. They are small and I was really surprised at there accuracy. The recoil is very little.
I never had any problems with recoil with either the amt backup 45 or the 380. In fact I don't even notice the recoil but remember back when I
was stationed up in Anchorage, Alaska buying a Thompson Center in 44 mag.. That was a recoil I'll never forget. That was back in 1976
and to this day I remember that was a gun that hurt to shoot, then again I probably didn't hold it right in the first place when I shot it.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #33

I own a Colt Mustang, which is essentially the Sig 238.
I also own the LCP, and my wife's ccw is the SP 101.

The Sig/Colt is much more expensive, but in my opion, is the most complete package. Small, single action trigger, with a manual safety. Recoil is not ugly, because it's an all metal gun. It has decent sights. Just feels better in my large hands than the LCP.

The LCP is the gun I carry if I'm at the beach/ in the heat of summer. Basicly, if I have minimal clothes on, I carry the LCP because, it's much lighter, and physicly smaller. It is extremely reliabe. It is actually nicely accurate. I have the CT on mine, because the sights suck.

My wife carries the SP 101 because she finds the small grip suits her small hands well. No bells and whistles. Just point and squeeze. Weight is not a real issue, because she carries in her purse. Capacity is only five rounds, but the are .357.

Rugers come with a lifetime warranty.

"My thinker must be broken"

Last edited by jimbobpissypants; 01-08-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: brain fart

Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Its nice to hear that men and particularly women are purchasing and learning how to use firearms to defend they're families and themselves. It took the irresponsibility
of our government to wake up the people. Its even more comical that while America is waking up to the 2nd Amendment that those few panty waist in society still don't have a clue as to reality. Of the beaten track I started on a little I'd like the say that the SIG's are a really nice gun. Right now I'm looking at a Springfield 45 that is compact. I have a few 45's but am realizing that the single action models could improve my accuracy.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #35

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

What reason for selecting the .380? As stated already, .380s are generally small pistols & some not considered fun range guns. Aside from recoil, slides can be a little difficult to operate.

My experience is with Bersas, but I think you may find the same thing with other brands. The Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm is easier on the recoil, slide is easier to operate & ammo cost is less than their Thunder .380. On the other hand, the grip is a little thicker, loaded it is about 10 oz. heavier than the loaded .380 & it has finger grooves on the front of the grip. These kinda offset the difference in grip size, but if your fingers don't fall into the grooves naturally, may be uncomfortable.

Regardless of brand, check out their compact 9mm & compare.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Gollygee, I picked out the 380 originally for its small size. I have a degenerative injury from my service days and from what the doctor's said its small enough
for me to still shoot well. I also have the same amt in the 45 caliber and have improved my accuracy by reading a magazine "The Complete Book of Handging by Massad
Ayoob". It had a section on handling similar pistols that reminded me of long forgotten lessons. It was thirty seven years ago when I had my training and I had forgotten
quite a bit of it. Once these articles jolted my memory back I was back on target but it will still take some catch up to be somewhat as good as I was. Age is working
against me a bit more these days.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #37

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Most .380s certainly are small, making them easy to conceal. Of course, being retired & not tied to any kind of 'dress code' I can carry just about anything I want. But, having degenerative disk disease in my back, a full size all steel pistol does put a strain on it when I carry it all day, so I'm kinda partial to the aluminum framed Bersas & light weight 1911s.

Good luck with your search. The 'hunt' is part of the fun, though!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

our personal experiance with the 380 is this. i bought one for the wife to use, it fit her hand well and was the perfect size for her. she can shoot it well and has no problem with the recoil. now the problem she has with it is racking the slide because of the strong recoil spring. we have the Bersa Thunder 380. now if you pull the hammer back, it's much easier. but she has the same problem with most of the semi auto pistols i own. so because of this, i will be looking to buy a small snubnose 38 special for her to use. i will end up keeping the 380 as i don't have the problem with the slide she does.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #39

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went to the range on saturday and shot my first 380 and i would never buy one. I dont rember what brand it was but the recoil was bad for me because i have farily large hands and the grip was small and i couldnt get a good grip. I shoot .357's out of my Gp100 and have no problem with shooting 200 rounds at the range. Back to the subject, my oldlady has a glock 17 that she shoots well. But we both filled for our CPLs and she dosent want to carry her glock. So shes looking for a smaller frame .357 revolver to carry and she has been looking at some smiths but she also likes the ruger sp101 with a three inch barrel. And there is no mistake with a DA revolver, it shoots when you pull the trigger. If shes into it have her try out a small frame revolver and see how she likes that.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Most .380s certainly are small, making them easy to conceal. Of course, being retired & not tied to any kind of 'dress code' I can carry just about anything I want. But, having degenerative disk disease in my back, a full size all steel pistol does put a strain on it when I carry it all day, so I'm kinda partial to the aluminum framed Bersas & light weight 1911s.

Good luck with your search. The 'hunt' is part of the fun, though!
I have the same injury and can relate where your coming from.