The .380 pistol; a double edged sword?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > The .380 pistol; a double edged sword?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default The .380 pistol; a double edged sword?

I have been doing A TON of research (looking at schematics and such) of .380 concealable pistols. My research looked at the S&W bodyguard (which I was able to look at in person as my father owns one) as well at the keltec .380 line. Both of these pistols have a track record of failure (keltec in general and the bodyguard failed my father and I at our last range trip). Of course there are other .380 pistols out there that can be known to fail..

I just think the .380 and their pistols are simply built in a crap way. The .380 is a rough cartridge on such small, plastic guns, that it just wears and breaks the gun down (such as our S&W bodyguard). Now I have indeed kept in mind the fact that the guns are not meant as range guns, but even after 250+ rounds, the bodyguard failed and countless stories of the keltec brand failing. These pistols are just too small and not built tough.

Polymer? Well Polymer is fine. Look at Glock for example, outstanding pistols with very little failure points (Gen 4 can be debatable, as far as I know there are a few bugs in the latest gen that I have fixed for friends and family). So why is polymer bad on the smaller firearms? Well in what I have studied, it just seems to be there is not enough surface area on the guns. You have such a small package firing the round (.380 is very similar in case size to a 9mm) and it just can't handle it. I think the true potential of a .380 handgun lies in the barbaric fact that it is purely a last ditch defensive firearm (as oppose to a main handgun or battle rifle).

My experiences with all the .380 pistols I have fired and handled is just poor. The pistols are just too small to handle the .380, or at least that is my experience with them.

I have very large expectations for the glock 42, and am curious to see how the gun handles. I plan to pick one up very soon and will keep you guys updated with that.

No here's the thing: the .380 round is a fantastic option for those wishing to carry a little less bulk, but the guns just can't handle the cartridge. They need more bulk and stability, but that also adds weight. And the whole point of a .380 defensive firearm is for compact, easy to carry defense. For now, I will stick with 9mm.

Carry a .380? Well good for you. I am not trying to say that the .380 sucks, I am simply trying to show that the round is a double edged sword.

Still can't wait for that Glock 42!

Problems with the KelTec:

My own problems with the .380: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f179/smith-wesson-bodyguard-380-piece-crap-105397/

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 05-07-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 4786 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Your missing the biggest factor in .380 reliability... Or lack there of. .380's are blow back guns. They are not "locked breech" like larger caliber pistols. The lack of a locking breech means the recoil springs must be excessively stiff.

Sub compact pistols also lack the "mass" in the slide to strip and chamber the next cartridge using "inertia" as heavier guns do... Which means the recoil spring must also handle this task.

Blow back guns by their very nature wear out their recoil springs MUCH faster than locked breech pistols which is why your pop's S&W starting failing at 250 rounds.

Long story short, any blowback WILL need more TLC than their locked breech counterparts... Even the G42.

Tell your pop to replace his recoil spring and his .380 should be fine.

On a side note... With full power 9's on the market like the S&W shield and the Kahr CM 9 hitting near .380 price points and being minimally larger... Why would anyone settle for a "noisy cricket?"

Tack

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #3

Liked 2514 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

The smaller the gun the less reliable. Small guns are difficult to handle and shoot. If your goal for carrying a defensive weapon is to hide it away, you are carrying for the wrong reason. Defense is the reason for carrying, you should be carrying the largest gun you can handle not the smallest gun you can fit in your shoe.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #4

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The Keltec and Ruger LCP are locked breach designs. Guns like the PPK, Bersa, Davis, HiPoint, and similar are blowback.

Miniaturizing these guns may expose some weaknesses. I do think the larger blowback guns may be overbuilt for the .380. But it does make guns like the Bersa, the Beretta, Makarov, etc. .380 pistols very shootable.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default G42

Never thought much of the .380 since it is just a 9mm short. I figured that anything the .380 could do, the 9mm could do better. Well, then Glock comes out with the 42 and I thought I better have one and see what all the fuss is about. Just like my first Glock, I'm beginning to begrudgingly give my respect to this little pistol. I've shot at least five different types of ammo through it so far and it eats it up and wants more. It works all the time and I've yet to clean it or lube it. It is as it was when I took it out of the box new. It feels good in my hand without any grip enhancements & shoots nice groups. I hope you like your 42 when you get it. I'm liking mine more & more.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Your missing the biggest factor in .380 reliability... Or lack there of. .380's are blow back guns. They are not "locked breech" like larger caliber pistols. The lack of a locking breech means the recoil springs must be excessively stiff.

Sub compact pistols also lack the "mass" in the slide to strip and chamber the next cartridge using "inertia" as heavier guns do... Which means the recoil spring must also handle this task.

Blow back guns by their very nature wear out their recoil springs MUCH faster than locked breech pistols which is why your pop's S&W starting failing at 250 rounds.

Long story short, any blowback WILL need more TLC than their locked breech counterparts... Even the G42.

Tell your pop to replace his recoil spring and his .380 should be fine.

On a side note... With full power 9's on the market like the S&W shield and the Kahr CM 9 hitting near .380 price points and being minimally larger... Why would anyone settle for a "noisy cricket?"

Tack
Good point there. I didn't factor that in.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3164 Times on 2149 Posts
Likes Given: 689

My issue with the .380 has never been if it runs or not, but if the Shot stops the Threat! 380's and 32's can be a decent back up weapon, but it has to be behind a more Powerful gun as a main.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Liked 102 Times on 66 Posts

While the smaller guns tend to be less reliable than larger ones in general (mini 9mms, too) it doesn't mean they are doomed to failure. There is a lot of wrong information in this thread. Keltecs are as reliable as any other small .380. The Keltec frame is aluminum-the grip is polymer.
Keltec, Ruger, Colt and SIG .380s are locked breech guns.
Recoil springs actually seldom wear out.
The only "shure stop" with ANY pistol is a CNS shot. A CNS shot with a .380 will be as effective as a CNS shot with a .45

Bill DeShivs

Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3164 Times on 2149 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default The .380 pistol; a double edged sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
While the smaller guns tend to be less reliable than larger ones in general (mini 9mms, too) it doesn't mean they are doomed to failure. There is a lot of wrong information in this thread. Keltecs are as reliable as any other small .380. The Keltec frame is aluminum-the grip is polymer.
Keltec, Ruger, Colt and SIG .380s are locked breech guns.
Recoil springs actually seldom wear out.
The only "shure stop" with ANY pistol is a CNS shot. A CNS shot with a .380 will be as effective as a CNS shot with a .45

All depends on the Gun. My LC9, after the first 100 rds. Down the pipe, has had less then 5FTF's/FTE's in the next 1300 plus( own it two years, and a few weeks now-pushing 1500 total rds.).Then again it Only failed 3 times in the First 100. To me, the usual issues with compact 9's and .380's are between the Mag., the chamber where it meets the Mag. And/or an extractor issue. The extractors on the Ruger LC9/LC380, and I'll even put the LCP in there too, are very well made for a small gun. The LC9's only issue are with the Two 9Rd. Ext. Mags. The finish on one corner of the Mag is Scratched and finish worn from the very top of the Mag feed lips to the middle of the mag, which means a burr somewhere that I'm not seeing with the Naked eye and a penlight. Otherwise the ammo seats, loads, and fires just fine. Even though I'm learning this stuff and have some classes under my belt already, when I'm confronted with this, I take it to one of two Guys I know who are already licensed to do this kind of work, and who will explain to me what it was and how they corrected it.

Recently I "Fell" into my first Kel-Tec, a P3AT. I received the Gun from a friend, in pieces, for. $50 up front, and two more $50 payments over the next two months. It took me several hrs. across about 10 days, but it's working, finally, after some light file and slide work and I now have a 380 for the first time in about 15 years. It's still a "Project" for me. Not sure if it's a Suit/Vest pocket gun for Dressy situations, or a hideout gun for the Truck yet,..if at all...or now that it's fixed and has some new internals, do I just sell it to get some cash on it. Let's see how well it runs the next 150 rounds first before I decide. If I feel it's working reliably enough, I might sell it and turn a small profit, But, I'm not going to sell something to anyone if it's not running reliably. It's not any of my old PP's/PPK/s ', I will say that the 32 Stainless PP I have is a Tank, so I guess the Kel-Tec is an APV of some sort...right now the one caliber ammo that is as expensive or More so then 32ACP is 380ACP. I actually have 500+ 32 rounds, incl. 150+ SD rounds. In 380, I was lucky to find 2 boxes of FMJ, and one Box of SD Rounds, but I did have someone(store) order me 150 more.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 548

I really don't see the point of the Glock 42. It is the same size as my Kel Tec P11 or the Ruger LC9. If the 380 is the same size as my double stack 9mm I am going to carry the 9mm. The P11 was a mess when I first got it. Now the P11 is just as reliable as my G19. It has broken an ejector since I got it running right. The P11 ejector is similar to the G19 ejector, if it breaks the gun will still run until you field strip it.

Dr Football if you get a chance to sell the kel tec dump it. By the time you run 250 rounds through it you will be fixing it again. You will have to run 250 rounds through the little thing to become proficient with the P3AT.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-07-2014 at 09:28 AM.