Is the 380 Losing Popularity? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the 380 Losing Popularity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Count me among those who will probably never have much need for 380acp. I'm 6ft/200lbs, so concealing a compact 9mm just seems to make more sense to me. Cheaper and more abundant/versatile ammo, more powerful, more shooter friendly frame (usually), and often higher capacity. I'm a big fan of the M&P Shield and XDs when it comes to subcompact single stacks. I usually carry an XDs45, and plan to add the 9mm version as well.

But there have been a ton of LCPs purchased in the last several years...so 380 isn't going away. It seems to work well for plenty of shooters. Concealed carry decisions will always land on a sliding scale that pit size/weight convenience vs performance vs cost. Opinions and needs are bound to vary greatly.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #42

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I open carry a .40 every day and just put a bodyguard in lay-a-way. I intend to use it as a back up pocket carry or something to have when I'm going to places where oc is frowned apon. Its no 50ae but I'm not standing n line to get shot with it lol

Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #43

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Get it thru your head... .380 is one of the most popular carry guns there is. I know everyone shouts 9mm, 9mm but .380 has become very popular and new .380 guns are introduced by gun makers all the time. There is no reason to shy away from using a .380, loaded with good defense ammo they are an excellent gun for protection. I know several people who own a .380 and use it for home defense. I also know some who carry it, including myself. You have an excellent amount of very nice .380 guns to choose from, assorted sizes which will fill every need. Just ask any gun shop owner if .380 is selling well. The .380 has taken the place of the once very popular .32 acp which in my opinion should not be over-looked as a carry gun also. I own both a .380 and a .32 and they are good guns. So don't be afraid to use a .380.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #44

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Considering that the 380 has a belief by many to be marginally acceptable for a defensive caliber, is the caliber losing popularity?

What about when you start considering all of the new offerings that are very close to the size of a 380, but are being chambered in 9mm? If given the choice between the same size gun in 380 and 9mm, is there any reason or benefit that someone would willingly choose the 380 over the 9mm?
Quite the opposite. It's not only an excellent defensive round, it is selling more than ever.

Steve

therewolf Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #45
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

"The ONLY good gun is the one you have ON you." Not with you in the car or truck. Not close by. ON you. The .380 is an important caliber to those of small hands/small frame/disability/light clothing and a number of other reasons to both allow them to carry the weapon concealed and be able to shoot effectively. If it did not fill an obvious niche, the public would have quit buying it and it would've faded into obscurity.

I read recently that, in general, the 9mm was 60% more effective than the .380 in the same length barrel. However, if you can't shoot it, or won't carry it, no amount of advantage is worth it. I think the .380 is here to stay and is a cartridge that J. M. Browning can be proud of.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #46

Liked 1331 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The .380 ACP was invented in 1908 by John Browning. The .380 has served as a military round and issued by police Depts. all over the world.
The .380 ACP is more popular than ever before. Where is there any evidence that people who choose to carry the .380 have been out gunned by the bad guys?
I will not belittle the 9x17, or 9x18, as they are both potentially deadly rounds, but there are some differences in Browning's day and today.

In Browning's day, the .380 was a much more deadly round than it is today. Nope, the ballistics haven't changed, but medical science has. In Browning's day, a body wound, would most likely end in death, due to infection. Thus, the deterrent value of a .380, .25, or .32 was as good as a larger caliber. You just did not want to be shot during Browning's day.

Another factor, which may or may not be as important is the size of men in Browning's day and today. During WWI the average soldier was 5'5" tall and weighed under 140 lbs. (There were "bantam" battalions where the men averaged under 5'3") American soldiers in 2012 were 4" taller and weighed 25 pounds more. (more muscle to penetrate to get to the sweet spots)

People were generally not as healthy as healthy as today either. Average life expectancy for men in 1910 was 48.4 years......

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #47

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I own a dozen handguns, ranging in caliber from .32 ACP, .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, to .45 ACP. I own just about as many rifles, from .223 to .308. If I could carry whatever I wanted the way I dress, I would carry a rifle as my main carry. In pistols, a full size or two in 9mm, .40 or .45, with an extra mag or two. But the way I dress, smart casual, khaki's, tucked in Polo shirt, I find the .380 pocket pistol to be the perfect fit to allow me to be armed always. And while the .380 may not be "enough" in some situation at some time, the odds are that it will be better than any of the rifles or full sized pistols that are left at home or in my vehicle. The .380 is always in my right front pocket and equipped with a surefire laser. And since hand in pocket isn't a threatening or odd position, it's very possible that it could also give me an edge in element of surprise, and not be exposed and draw first fire from an armed assailant like open carry could. I also believe I'm far from alone in this particular style of carry and dress. Therefore, I believe that demand for the .380 round will drive the supply and assure a long life for the round, as well as pistols like the Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger copy (LCP). Just my .02. YMMV.

"No one knows what it's like to be the badman"...-The Who

Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 442 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 150

There is nothing wrong with the 380. In fact, the truth is there is nothing wrong with any caliber that is used for self defense, and I am including 22lr in that scenario. Depending on the situation I'm in, I carry everything from 22 to a 45 and I feel comfortable with all of them.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I bought a .380 for my first pistol because I knew it had a mild recoil and the pricing on ammo was in my favor at the time (early 90's). So it was my primary SD pistol for many years. But in the last 2 years I added a fewer pistols to my safe and I have to say that I haven't even brought my .380 to the range in the last 12 months. I presume that since I no longer carry it when legally carrying I have no need to maintain proficiency with it so to this I don't shoot it. I considered selling it, but I think it's worth keeping it since as the kids get older it would be a good pistol for them to practice with as they build up to shooting my 9s and .45. Plus I replace it would cost as much as its value today (I own a Beretta 84fs). So it will stay in my safe, I will keep it clean and rust free and when the time comes I have several hundred rounds for it as well. But for now, I plan on abusing and introducing my older kids to shooting with my new Ruger 22/45 Target, maintaining proficiency with my Nano and others.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #50

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

A .380 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo will go thru 4 layers of denim and penetrate 11 inches in ballistic gel, there is a video online. Also a .32 acp loaded with FMJ will go thru 4layers of denim and penetrate 14 inches in ballistic gel. Watch some videos online. Both of these calibers offer good protection.