Is the 380 Losing Popularity? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the 380 Losing Popularity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7823 Times on 4696 Posts
Likes Given: 9850

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
My next pistol will be a Sig P238 (.380)
I am looking for a carry gun for my wife. Size of gun, therefore, is an issue. I need a very compact or micro-compact sized gun.
Yes, there are several options for the same sized pistols in 9mm
While my wife enjoys shooting my full sized 9mm pistols (Hi Power & DW Commander 1911), I do not think that she will enjoy shooting a 9mm in a sub-compact pistol size.
I want her to enjoy range shooting (practicing and training with) whatever pistol that she gets. If she does not enjoy shooting it then she will never feel comfortable carrying it.

Anyway, that is my logic or reasoning for willingly choosing the .380 over the 9mm in same sized gun (in this instance).
Great choice,in my opinion. I doubt my .380 will do any less of a job stopping a bad guy than a 9mm.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #22

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I also own carry a P238. But only because size is a primary factor in what I choose to carry. If I could figure out a way to carry a tiny 9mm like a Kahr PM9, that's what I would be carrying.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2416 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
My next pistol will be a Sig P238 (.380)
I am looking for a carry gun for my wife. Size of gun, therefore, is an issue. I need a very compact or micro-compact sized gun.
Yes, there are several options for the same sized pistols in 9mm
While my wife enjoys shooting my full sized 9mm pistols (Hi Power & DW Commander 1911), I do not think that she will enjoy shooting a 9mm in a sub-compact pistol size.
I want her to enjoy range shooting (practicing and training with) whatever pistol that she gets. If she does not enjoy shooting it then she will never feel comfortable carrying it.

Anyway, that is my logic or reasoning for willingly choosing the .380 over the 9mm in same sized gun (in this instance).
The 238 is smaller and lighter than the Shield. Both are very easy to shoot and recoil is not overpowering on either. Trigger is much better on the 238. I did a lot of looking at ballistic gel tests and have gone with XTP's. They seem to have a better balance of expansion and penetration. Most of the HP's expand too much and limit penetration.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #24

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 IWB loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It is dependable and accurate. Shot 200 rounds FMJ and 100 rounds of carry ammo with no hiccups at all. A .380 is enough gun.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 380 is alive and well. Personally I find the 380 much more pleasent to shoot in the smaller and larger platforms. As for my wife, she loved]s the way the 380 shoots. The 9 in the smaller platforms is not as nice to shoot. As for the teminal ballistics, we are talking about handguns. Both the 380 and 9mm are very poor stoppers. Here is an artical which expresses my thoughts. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

It is far more important to carry what you are comfortable with using and have become proficient using.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

I prefer the larger calibers myself. But I do have a Kahr P-380 that I carry in the hot summer months when clothing is light. It is very small and light and hardly noticeable that you have it on you and conceals easily. It is better to have a weapon on you in 380 than to have a 40 or 45 in the glove compartment of your car or truck! Or have to wear obvious clothing in order to hide it in hot weather.
With some of the new improved munitions like the Hornady Critical Defense as well as Federal Hydra-Shok and others it is effective. But I always had the mindset that if I ever had to use it to defend myself or others, the dirt ball was going to get at least three rounds before I assess the threat!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-17-2013 at 12:46 AM.
bbertram Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 834 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Great choice,in my opinion. I doubt my .380 will do any less of a job stopping a bad guy than a 9mm.
How do you find the recoil from your Sig? My wife told me last week that she wants to get her ccw, and we'll need to get her a gun. She says my LCP "bites her".

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #28

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

If she doesn't like the LCP have her try the LC380. Also have her try a Bersa.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #29

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 IWB loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It is dependable and accurate. Shot 200 rounds FMJ and 100 rounds of carry ammo with no hiccups at all. A .380 is enough gun.
I have a Bersa thunder 380 in my stable of 380's, and it's not just a pleasure to shoot, but handles a lot of different ammo loads, as well. Not at all picky about what gets put through it. Just keep it clean and lubed , then shoot with confidence. I've had a couple pocket 380's that were very touchy indeed about what they would cycle and eject.
Brent

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #30

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

no, the 9mm keltec is not 1" longer and 9 oz heavier. It's 1/2 longer and 4 oz heavier, and you NEED the extra size and weight, too, if you want any decent control of the gun in rapidfire. also, the 9mm is still 1/2" smaller and 9 ozs lighter than a Walther PPK, which was considered THE pocket gun, not so long ago.

With the right load in the 9mm, it's 3x as likely to stop a man as the 380 factory loads. the CorBon 100gr PowrBall offers 400 ft lbs from a 3" barrel. 1300+fps. When you actually chrono the 380 loads, they have the same 160 ft lbs as a Stinger from a .22 rifle. When you shoot some critters with each, you'll see the same results, too. Which is to say, 'not much" You can always have somebody wussy-down the 9mm reloads, but you can't hotload the 380 enough to help it much, even with a locked breech model, like the Keltec. A straight blowback 380, you can't help at all, powerwise, without blowing up the gun.

Last edited by bildee; 07-24-2013 at 01:03 PM.