.380 FMJ/JHP in mag - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

.380 FMJ/JHP in mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

im in the opposite camp.

goblins arent made of gelatin. while gelatin is a good medium to test what a bullet is capable of doing and comparing to other bullets in a perfect ideal environment, they will never encounter that in self defense.

a goblin is made of several layers of skin fat muscle bone bone and fluids. non of which is a gelatin. a goblin is also never going to be standing still facing you square arms at his side like your targets on a range. they will almost slways be holding a weapon of some sort in front of their torso's or be side on to in much the same fashion. in order to hold that weapon they have to put their arms up in front of their chests.

now for a hp round to work well it has to have a fairly consistant media in which to expand with no bones or other objects in the way. some bullets like the critical defense are pretty good at doing this when in a larger caliber with more mass and velocity. but the 380 has not got much of either comparatively.

so when the fbi did their thirteen inch requirement they measured the thickness only of the arms as if crossed over the chest. goblins never stand there with their arms hugging themselves while trying to murder you. their arms are almost always straight out from the body for part of their length and then maybe slightly bent meaning worst case your bullet has to go through a lot of arm meat and bone BEFORE it even gets tot he chest and has likely expanded and lost a LOT of velocity dumping them into fleshy arm muscle fat and bone...

a 380 hp struggles at best under ideal conditions just to get into the chest cavity if nothing else is encountered.

a 380 fmj has a MUCH better chance of getting through that stuff and THEN getting into the boiler room intact with a lot more velocity. bigger rounds like 9mm 40 45 etc do well as hp ammo even under the worst case scenario. but the 380 isnt like those.

the 380 is the sharp stick when you got to choose between nothing and a sharp stick. they dont even hold a lot of bullets so you dont have a lot of chances to stop an agressor.

all my 380's are loaded with fmj in order to give myself the best chance possible to get at least one round into the vitals.

you can do what you want this is just my thinking and reasoning im not invested in what you choose for ammo.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #12

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally I use FMJ in the winter time here in Michigan and change to HP in the summer. Just my 2 pennies of info.
bbertram Likes This 
Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

You may want to look into alternating rounds or even extra Mags..I'd ask a few folks here who have the 238 and see what they say. I have only shot one once, belong to a friend who is a Ret. Army SF Lt. Col., he carries 3 spare mags for his( he alternates between the 238 and a PPK) and he's either carrying 95Gr. FMJ's or 85-100 gr. JHP's or JSP's....
His eyes are what you'd expect a 72 yr. Olds to be, and he puts 5 in the X out to 10yds.(30' for you non-yardage types.... )

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

I use Hornady Critical Defense in my 238. It's my understanding that they were designed to have consistent expansion and penetration regardless of winter clothing.
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler44 View Post
I use Hornady Critical Defense in my 238. It's my understanding that they were designed to have consistent expansion and penetration regardless of winter clothing.

I happen to like that round. Have some in 9MM for me, and 38+P for MzGrn,...she also has a box of the New CD Lite's...in reduced recoil 38...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
I have a Sig Sauer P238, it's a nifty little pistol and as soon as my CCL all goes through it will be my everyday carry gun. I have some of the hollow point defense rounds for it but after reading on these forums about it being possibly underpowered to penetrate heavier clothing, do you feel that it would be best to run some kind of combination of FMJ and JHP in the mag, ie; FMJ chambered follow by JHP? I am curious to hear what y'all think. Thanks!
Go to the link and look through. Don't forget the pretty pictures at the end. They are color coded for your convenience. Choose from the rounds that do not contain yellow or red. Green = Good, Blue = Best. With the shorter barrel on the P238 I would be looking for a whole bunch of blue.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #17

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If the goblin has any kind of training, boxing, military, martial arts or just a good street fighter he is going to assume a blade stance when he attacks. You are not going to get a shot into his chest. You are going to have to shoot through his weak arm unless you are incredibly lucky.

In my experience Speer Lawman 380 FMJ ammo functions best. Lawman ammo has a round nose that functions well, it is not overpowered protecting the tiny ejector found in most 380 acp pistols.

My experience is with the Kel Tec P 3AT and the Ruger LCP.

If you have a small 380 no matter how much powder is loaded in the ammo your velocity is going to be around 1,000 fps. The short barreled 380 has the same issues as the snub nosed 357 on a smaller scale. There is not enough time for the gas to expand.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-31-2014 at 11:35 AM.
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #18

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

I just switched from staggered Winchester PDX1/FMJ to all Federal Hydra-Shok. I'll keep my eye out for Fiocchi Extrema, but I haven't found any yet.

Check out Doc3402's blog link, you'll understand. There is a corresponding video also.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #19

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Go to the link and look through. Don't forget the pretty pictures at the end. They are color coded for your convenience. Choose from the rounds that do not contain yellow or red. Green = Good, Blue = Best. With the shorter barrel on the P238 I would be looking for a whole bunch of blue.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Wow judging from that Hornady CD in 380 is one of the worst performing rounds, I would have never thought that. Thanks for the post I'll be switching out soon.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler44 View Post
Wow judging from that Hornady CD in 380 is one of the worst performing rounds, I would have never thought that. Thanks for the post I'll be switching out soon.
Keep in mind this is micro-pistol testing. Sort of the LCP size guns. You may get a totally different batch of winners if you add even another inch of barrel with a larger firearm. Some of the marginal rounds may expand better and penetrate deeper. The ones that are so consistent now may actually over-penetrate or fail to expand in the denim tests given a little more velocity.

I'm not a firm believer in gelatin tests. It's too consistent. There are so many variables that can come into play in gun shot injuries, it's hard to say that one specific load will work in all cases. You just have to go with the one that seems the best, and hope that Mr Murphy is out to lunch.
bbertram Likes This 

Newest Threads