.380 Auto VS .22 Magnum Revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 Auto VS .22 Magnum Revolver

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

When considering a BUG .380 was as low as I would go. It's a personal choice but for me .380 is the bare minimum.

__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
diggsbakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pueblo,Colorado
Posts: 1,680
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
When considering a BUG .380 was as low as I would go. It's a personal choice but for me .380 is the bare minimum.
I completely respect your choice, but allow me to express mine.

That's your (and many others here) opinion sir. . . and I (as well as many others) have mine. First off I have NEVER owned or shot (maybe, but doubtful) any gun chambered in .380. So my opinion is based solely upon my real life experience with the .22 WMR cartridge.

I look at the broader spectrum when choosing a gun or caliber. Most importantly. . . accuracy, range, comfort-ability, shoot-ability, (cost, is a big one in this debate) and affordability. After you have properly assessed those factors, then look at terminal ballistics.

Remington .22 WMR Loads
.22 WINCHESTER MAGNUM RIMFIRE LOADS

From my experience the .22 magnum is accurate enough out of a revolver (single-six) to hunt small/medium game. The criteria for this status includes (but is not limited to), initial target acquisition, follow up shot speed/ease, wound potential, range (big difference) and penetration.

Ammunition and Ballistics at mouseguns.com

The .380 has the .22 mag beat in it's typical weapon configuration's conceal-ability. However, these cartridges both produce roughly the same muzzle energy (.22 mag marginally wins). The .22 mag also produces significantly more velocity, resulting in greater wound potential.

I have a single-six that I can shoot TIGHT groups off hand at 20 yards. Can any .380 accomplish that?

I know my opinion is not the most "popular", but it is my choice and it (the .22mag) can do more than "hurt" a man. It can "hunt" small game accurately and effectively and serve more than one purpose as a BUG.

No I'm not a salesman for the .22WMR, I've just loved this cartridge for years and years, so yes I have a biased opinion and yes I love to express it.

Many (mostly all) cartridge debates I avoid, however, I know the .22 mag so well I wish to attempt to pass on its greatness and hope it becomes appreciated by others. Please! Try it at least!
__________________
diggsbakes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AusLach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour,New South Wales
Posts: 1,567
Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Um I hope this isn't seen as butting in where I don't belong but it's highly likely that the muzzle velocity quoted for a rimfire round like the 22WMR will be tested from a 20 inch barrel or longer. This will equate to a higher velocity due to more powder energy being converted into propulsion rather than the higher amounts of noise and flames from associated with 4 or 5 inch barrel.

Certainly for the CCI ammo that is pictured, I can guarantee that the quoted velocity figure did not come from a handgun, and that out of a handgun, the bullet velocity will be much lower than advertised.

Cartridges designed for rifles will never achieve their full potential in a handgun, long rifle rounds needs a long barrel to perform.

__________________
AusLach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #24
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,527
Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Default

I have several handguns and rifles chambered in 22WMR.It is a pretty powerful little round.The only 380 that I've ever had was 20+ years ago,and back then most 380 caliber pistols were POS cheap guns-Mine was!

Today there are several mfg's that make decent 380 handguns,and even a few that make decent shooting 22WMR pistols.
While neither caliber is my first choice for self defense,I have a Keltech PMR-30 22WMR pistol on order.With a 30rd magazine,I don't think I'd have any problem changing a bad guy's thought process with it.

__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,013
Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Default

I really love my Sig P230 in .380 for concealed carry. Light, accurate and 100% reliable.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ta1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great Free State of,Tennessee
Posts: 344
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I really love my Sig P230 in .380 for concealed carry. Light, accurate and 100% reliable.
I feel the same way about the Makarov in .380 or 9x18 for that matter which is even better...but I sure would LOOOOVE to have a 10/22 in 22Mag...

BTW! That PMR 30 looks AWESOME!!! I wouldn't mind one of those either
__________________

Last edited by ta1588; 07-13-2010 at 08:56 PM.
ta1588 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,527
Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
I feel the same way about the Makarov in .380 or 9x18 for that matter which is even better...but I sure would LOOOOVE to have a 10/22 in 22Mag...

BTW! That PMR 30 looks AWESOME!!! I wouldn't mind one of those either
Excel Arms makes a semi-auto 22wmr rifle and pistol.The pistol is basically a copy of the AMT,but shoots pretty good from what I've read. A dealer near me stocks both guns,and the rifle is well built.The price tag is the only reason I don't have one yet.He sells the rifles for $495.

Accelerator Rifle

New .17 HMR and .22WMR Accelerator Pistol
__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,013
Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
I feel the same way about the Makarov in .380 or 9x18 for that matter which is even better...but I sure would LOOOOVE to have a 10/22 in 22Mag...

BTW! That PMR 30 looks AWESOME!!! I wouldn't mind one of those either

Funny, my other carry is a Pa63, Black on black. Sweet little 9x18 carry.
Sig

Feg
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #29
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I completely respect your choice, but allow me to express mine.

That's your (and many others here) opinion sir. . . and I (as well as many others) have mine. First off I have NEVER owned or shot (maybe, but doubtful) any gun chambered in .380. So my opinion is based solely upon my real life experience with the .22 WMR cartridge.

I look at the broader spectrum when choosing a gun or caliber. Most importantly. . . accuracy, range, comfort-ability, shoot-ability, (cost, is a big one in this debate) and affordability. After you have properly assessed those factors, then look at terminal ballistics.

Remington .22 WMR Loads
.22 WINCHESTER MAGNUM RIMFIRE LOADS

From my experience the .22 magnum is accurate enough out of a revolver (single-six) to hunt small/medium game. The criteria for this status includes (but is not limited to), initial target acquisition, follow up shot speed/ease, wound potential, range (big difference) and penetration.

Ammunition and Ballistics at mouseguns.com

The .380 has the .22 mag beat in it's typical weapon configuration's conceal-ability. However, these cartridges both produce roughly the same muzzle energy (.22 mag marginally wins). The .22 mag also produces significantly more velocity, resulting in greater wound potential.

I have a single-six that I can shoot TIGHT groups off hand at 20 yards. Can any .380 accomplish that?

I know my opinion is not the most "popular", but it is my choice and it (the .22mag) can do more than "hurt" a man. It can "hunt" small game accurately and effectively and serve more than one purpose as a BUG.

No I'm not a salesman for the .22WMR, I've just loved this cartridge for years and years, so yes I have a biased opinion and yes I love to express it.

Many (mostly all) cartridge debates I avoid, however, I know the .22 mag so well I wish to attempt to pass on its greatness and hope it becomes appreciated by others. Please! Try it at least!
Diggs, Point well made with the exception I did say when considering a BUG (back up gun) 380 was my choice. The single six is a great pistol but far from a BUG or CC pistol. I have a AMT Automag long slide in 22mag and it is a lot of fun to shoot and can do some damage. Just not a carry pistol due to size and caliber, if I'm going to CC something that size it will have more punch. I don't know of any 22 mag compact pistols that would work for carry, I expect there might be some, just none I'm aware of.
__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I'm actually interested in a 380 now thanks for NGIB....never liked the small autos until I held a sig P238. A mini 1911 got my attention.

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Revolver or Semi-Auto northhike General Handgun Discussion 19 11-30-2009 11:24 PM
.22 magnum semi-auto pistol !!! rickrem700 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 3 08-06-2008 05:33 PM
Revolver/Semi-Auto AgentGreen General Handgun Discussion 2 08-01-2007 12:34 AM
Revolver vs Auto? Gonecountry General Handgun Discussion 3 06-05-2007 05:28 AM