Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 Auto VS .22 Magnum Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Ammo prices make no sense to me.I was at a store yesterday that sells nothing but winchester white box ammo.50 packs were as follows-9mm 10.99,.38spl 18.99,.25 auto 19.99.I don't remember all the prices,but it seems like my order I just listed should be reversed.

heh... shhhh.. dont tell anyone.. if they straighten it out my precious 9mm will get more expensive. :-P
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I personally don't think all rimfires are a poor choice for SD,Especially when talking about revolvers.The chances of a misfire with a good gun and good ammo like CCI are very slim,and with a revolver a misfire isn't a problem,just pull the trigger again.A .22 LR auto would be a poor choice,but I think a good .22 magnum revolver isn't a bad choice.The chances of landing 2,3,4 shots with a .22 magnum is very good because of lack of recoil.
Robo said rimfire is a poor choice for self defense. He is a cop and firearms instructor.

You have just purchased your first handguns this year and more recently your first semi-auto.

Which one would you listen to? Wise up.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You could also use a brick for self defense - you'd never have to buy that evil expensive ammo. The bottom line is how much is YOUR life worth? Robo is wise and experienced and has shared good advice (maybe he'll forgive the hair comment?). As far as getting follow up shots on target - that's why we all train & practice with our caliber(s) of choice.

FYI due to where I work, I have a .380 pocket gun as my primary SD weapon. On the weekends I'm likely to strap on a .45 and I practice with both - and others. If a .22 was all that was available I'd use it but I would never CHOOSE a .22 as a self defense gun...

Last edited by NGIB; 12-15-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Neither is a great choice. But if that's all that was available, the .380 would suffice.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
For self defense- .380

For all other purposes - .22mag

What he said.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Neither is a great choice. But if that's all that was available, the .380 would suffice.
Well put. I wouldn't classify either of these as being a "great" self defense round, but both are better than nothing. I know. . . everyone loves the .380 it's made vast improvements in recent years, every CC class tells you it's the best thing since sliced bread, etc., etc.

Fact is: Neither of these rounds are far superior to one another. They are very different. If your experience with firearms is limited and you can't afford to train with the .380, then why not a .22 mag that you could plink LR through all day every day for pennies?

The advancement/development of skills is more important than the ballistics of a given cartridge being used. I'm sure every cop or firearms instructor would agree. A brick is only better than nothing if you have a decent throwing arm. . .

Last edited by diggsbakes; 12-17-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #17

Default been there done that it ain't fun

Although I have never been on the business end of a .380 and I do carry a Kel-tec P3AT with the crimson trace laser... I was shot at point blank (accidently) with a 22 LR a few years back... it was pretty nasty.... I was hunting in Pa in the winter with heavy clothing on.... it penetrated the heavy cloths, my flesh about 3 inches and exploded (hollow point Rem Viper) hit me in the right thigh and dropped me in my tracks... felt like I was hit with a base ball bat.... I have a six inch scar and they took out about two lbs of me... that had been turned into ground meat... I can not imagine being hit with a .22 mag at any distance!
At close range the 22 mag delivers comparable energy to a .223 at some distance... no its not a 45... but if someone made a 22 mag comparably compact to my P3AT, it would be my carry gun... I own several handguns.... Kimbers, S&W, Sprinfields etc.... way to much money wrapped up in them (men, boys, toys..... you know the saying...) but at the end of the day the kel-tec fits in my pocket and is there always..... However I do wish someone would make a compact version of the 22 mag!
Oh yea I did own a Tauras revolver 22 mag but it was to bulky I may as well have used my compact 45..... Just my thoughts

Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
The chances of a misfire with a good gun and good ammo like CCI are very slim,and with a revolver a misfire isn't a problem,just pull the trigger again.
Most of the time that is correct. I have experienced a lockup on a revolver where the bullet lodged in the forcing cone and had not exited fully from the chamber. When it happened, it locked up the revolver. Although a rare instance, it does happen

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've probably fired over 100,000 rounds of rimfire ammo in the past 20 years as opposed to maybe 5,000 rounds of centerfire ammo, and I've experienced considerably more misfires with the centerfire rounds. Do the math---20 times as much ammo, yet fewer misfires in the rimfire. A lot fewer. I'm not saying the .380 is not the superior round to the .22Mag, but I wouldn't want to try and live off the difference. All I'm saying is that, in my experience, the attitude that rimfire is unreliable is horse hockey.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

If you use fresh ammo AND do not jostle it around too much, the rimfire is not a bad choice. IMHO neither are even close to ideal for SD. The .380 is best relegated to back up and the rimfire could be a decent third gun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball