.380 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I've been considering getting a pocket .380. I have a Para Warthog that fits in a pocket, but it is kinda chubby, and hard to conceal. Does anybody have experience with a Taurus 738-TCP?
Taurus TCP was the worst gun I ever owned. It did everything bad that a gun can do - and often ... and for friends who borrowed... Failure to feed, failure to fire, stovepiping, ejected casings directly back into your face, and had the stiffest recoil of any gun I've owned. Sold and replaced with a Ruger LCP -- never had a failure with it yet, and softer recoil (though not soft, by any means). Love the long trigger pull - that is the "revolver" safety.

Sig 238 - I like... won't own. It is larger - my LCP carries perfectly in back pocket holster - but major difference deal breaker for me - A Safety! To carry it chambered - with it's much shorter trigger pull - you must rely on a safety. I won't do that. I won't risk a safety being knocked off - or inadvertently not put on. Or forgotten to take off in the panic of a possible use.
Will the Sig shoot easier than an LCP? Of course. It is heavier. Does that matter? How many times do you need to shoot in a self defense concealed carry situation? A bunch? Nope. A couple shots... maybe ... and close up (it is concealed carry after all - the laws require imminent personal threat of death - that is not long distance - that is close-up) Can the LCP do that? Yup. Very well!
Me... I carry what I will actually carry and use.

I'd like a Sig - just to shoot. But I'm afraid that's all it would be for. I would not carry that gun as a personal self defense weapon, I'm afraid.
Just me...
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Taurus TCP was the worst gun I ever owned. It did everything bad that a gun can do - and often ... and for friends who borrowed... Failure to feed, failure to fire, stovepiping, ejected casings directly back into your face, and had the stiffest recoil of any gun I've owned. Sold and replaced with a Ruger LCP -- never had a failure with it yet, and softer recoil (though not soft, by any means). Love the long trigger pull - that is the "revolver" safety.

Sig 238 - I like... won't own. It is larger - my LCP carries perfectly in back pocket holster - but major difference deal breaker for me - A Safety! To carry it chambered - with it's much shorter trigger pull - you must rely on a safety. I won't do that. I won't risk a safety being knocked off - or inadvertently not put on. Or forgotten to take off in the panic of a possible use.
Will the Sig shoot easier than an LCP? Of course. It is heavier. Does that matter? How many times do you need to shoot in a self defense concealed carry situation? A bunch? Nope. A couple shots... maybe ... and close up (it is concealed carry after all - the laws require imminent personal threat of death - that is not long distance - that is close-up) Can the LCP do that? Yup. Very well!
Me... I carry what I will actually carry and use.

I'd like a Sig - just to shoot. But I'm afraid that's all it would be for. I would not carry that gun as a personal self defense weapon, I'm afraid.
Just me...
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #43

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Bersa Thunder .380 I have shot 500 flawless rounds thru mine.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #44

Liked 2374 Times on 1390 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
Bersa Thunder .380 I have shot 500 flawless rounds thru mine.
How big are y'all's pockets. I thought the OP asked about a pocket gun, and I keep seeing the Bersa recommended. I think they are great .380s for the money, but I don't put it in "pocket class", unless we are talking coat pockets. But, when I think of pocket carry I think about a gun that will fit in my shorts pockets, jeans pockets, slacks, etc. and still go unnoticed.

So I think in terms of the LCP, P3AT, Sig238, and really small guns.

Maybe I'm off base.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When it comes to pocket guns everyone has to make their own decisions and hope if the time ever comes to have to use it their choice is the right one. I carried a Sig-238 in my pocket, just like I carry my 1911, cocked and locked. I carried the Sig for over 2 years and never once had the safety disengage. Even if it the safety was disengaged the trigger still has to be pulled, not likely in a pocket carrying only the handgun. I no longer carry the 238 because I now carry it's twin in 9mm the Sig-938. If I ever have to draw my Sig whether they are up close or 15 yards away, shot placement is not going to be a problem and I know the gun is going to be capable of emptying the magazine. Ask a gunsmith, people that know guns, and they will tell you the Sig is the best pocket pistol available to date. However, I realize to get a Sig-938 you are talking twice the price, but I feel if a carry handgun I am betting my life on it.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #46
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4987 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
How big are y'all's pockets. I thought the OP asked about a pocket gun, and I keep seeing the Bersa recommended. I think they are great .380s for the money, but I don't put it in "pocket class", unless we are talking coat pockets. But, when I think of pocket carry I think about a gun that will fit in my shorts pockets, jeans pockets, slacks, etc. and still go unnoticed.

Maybe I'm off base.
No man, you're spot on !

NSDQ

Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #47

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my favorite 380 is the bersa thunder plus 15+1

for extreme discrete carry ruger lcp
...because in .380...you'll need em ALL!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #48

Liked 635 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Maybe I'm off base.
The full size Bersa Thunder is too big for pocket carry, but the Bersa Thunder .380cc is small enough. Both good guns.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #49

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I love my sig p238! This is a great little gun. Feels great in the hands and shoots very accuratly.

guns.jpg