Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 or 45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Senor Cane didn't agree.
Nope, good then, we're still open.

I haven't fired an lcp and frankly, I don't want to. I have fired small kel-tecs and really don't care for small auto mouse guns, but the OP gave two choices and one need.

Get what you can get for carry RIGHT NOW and save for later. Might I suggest an LCR?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #12

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Get what you can get for carry RIGHT NOW and save for later. Might I suggest an LCR?
Ah, the Elsie Ahrr, now we're talking!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #13

I recently bought a lcp. I've only shot 100 rounds through it. I haven't carried it away from my home yet. I need to shoot it some more before I carry it. I agree with what others have said, if you are looking for a tiny gun to throw in your pocket when you are wearing shorts, tanktop and flip-flops, it's great.
I also agree that it is a handfull to shoot. I'm a big dude, and this thing is jumpy.
If you want a gun you can carry, no matter where you are or what your dress is, it will do nicely. I also highly recommend crimson trace for this gun, as there are no real sights. It is really intended for very close-up-and personal use. So, sights are an after thought.
I love the 1911. If you are looking for a gun for times other than when you are in little clothing, get the 45.
Good Luck.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #14

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Why does it have to be .380 or .45?A 9mm is in between the two,and you can have the best of both worlds.The Kel-Tec P-11 9mm ain't that much bigger than the LCP,about the same price,holds ten rounds and has better stopping power than a .380.If you are set on a .380 the Kel-tec P-3AT is very simialr to the LCP,actually it's darn near identical and about the same price.I couldn't tell you which one is better,I have no experience with either.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #15

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
You won't be happy with a .380.
Buy a SigP238. Be happy. Prove them wrong

LCP/P3AT's are horrible little bastards. 1", 11# trigger, NO THANKS!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #16

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Why does it have to be .380 or .45?A 9mm is in between the two,and you can have the best of both worlds.The Kel-Tec P-11 9mm ain't that much bigger than the LCP,about the same price,holds ten rounds and has better stopping power than a .380.If you are set on a .380 the Kel-tec P-3AT is very simialr to the LCP,actually it's darn near identical and about the same price.I couldn't tell you which one is better,I have no experience with either.
The Kel-Tec P11 is a lot larger than the LCP and weighs nearly twice as much loaded. There is nothing at all wrong with the .380 as a defensive caliber especially considering it comes in guns that are truly pocket sized. I have a bunch of handguns and I generally carry a Walther PPK as it's smallish, accurate and easy to conceal. As far as stopping power, the main point is that you have a gun with you - and you shoot it well. If a gun is not convenient to carry - you may leave it home...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-25-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't shot an LCP but have fired a Keltec and I didn't like it at all. I'm like goju, I don't like the small autos. Out of the two asked about, I would go with a 1911 in 45. Are you set on one of those two? Would you be open to other ideas?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #18

Well I went ahead and got the little LCP, my neighbor loaned me some shells to test it out and boy does that have a bark. I have to say that it is a loud snappy little thing. While I was out getting it I was looking at the Kimber's that they had in the case, I think that I may end up getting one of those very soon. They gave me a Kimber brochure to look through, I know that I want a S.S. in a 45 with the tactical rail.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #19

Congrats on your new gun!

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Enjoy it!!!!