.380 or 45 ACP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .380 or 45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .380 or 45 ACP

I am trying to decide which one to buy, a ruger lcp .380 or some kind of 45.
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park. I want a little pocket gun for around the house, outside, and can easily carry when I get my concealed permit. But on the other hand I have always wanted a 45.
My biggest concern about the 380 is that it seems to be very hard to find ammo for it. I have not chosen a 45 yet, I have looked at the M&P and the XD but have always like the 1911's. What are some thoughts about the lcp 380??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park.
Thank goodness for that.

I love shooting 1911s but I generally carry a .380 Walther PPK (or a PPK/S). If you need an easily concealable pocket type gun, get the LCP now and save up for the 1911. While I don't own an LCP, I have a bunch of friends that do and they like them. Be aware - they are not a lot of fun to shoot as those baby guns are very snappy...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

Why don't you have a look at the Kimber Ultra TLE II?

Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Ultra Carry II > Ultra TLE II

Or possibly the Stainless Ultra Carry II:

Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Ultra Carry II > Stainless Ultra Carry II™

Both are around $1,000 and weigh in at 25 ounces with an empty mag.

These may be outside of your price range, but you'll have a .45 ACP in a very pretty, yet very concealable package!

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You won't be happy with a .380,you will regret not getting a .45acp.I got a 9mm instead of a .45acp,and even though I like the 9mm and is cheap to shoot,I keep thinking,what if I got that .45.With the LCP you are stuck with standard pressure ammo,no+P for the lcP,so your stopping power is alot lower than a .45acp,alot lower.My next gun might be a .45acp,I even like how cool a .45acp ball round looks.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
I am trying to decide which one to buy, a ruger lcp .380 or some kind of 45.
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park. What are some thoughts about the lcp 380??
Sawfish,
NGIB said exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. Go ahead and satisfy your need to get going by buying the LCP. Then take the next 90 days to explore the options regarding a .45 semi-auto weapon. At the end of the day your budget will give you the answer but during that 90 days you will learn a lot, especially about the LCP, if you can find any ammo. I found 4 fifty round boxes today at $25 ea. It's an expensive round and scarce.
By the way I have a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry in .45 auto and I love it. I also have a Walther PPK/S in .380 & I have learned to love it, it took practice, lots of it, for me.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Last edited by jackg; 03-24-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are a lot of people in the world who carry .380s and are perfectly happy with them. You may be one of them, you'll never know until you try it. I think even .380 ammo is starting to loosen up a little more now as well.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that whatever you choose, be it .380 or . 45 ACP, you'll either (1) be satisfied with the .380 until you want to TRADE UP in caliber...or (2) not be satisfied with the .45 you picked and want to upgrade. It's part of the natural order of life with pistols!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

To further my point, handguns are like potato chips and almost nobody stops at just one. Satisfy the need for immediate carry protection, then do your homework and get a 1911...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
To further my point, handguns are like potato chips and almost nobody stops at just one. Satisfy the need for immediate carry protection, then do your homework and get a 1911...
That's the threadkilla!! Completely agree.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #9

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Have you fired, or even handled a Ruger LCP?

They are small, no, tiny and it will bark at you when fired. They will even bite you should you go to the range and shoot up, let's say, two or three boxes of ammo!

Not a fun gun to shoot. Great gun to hide, just about anywhere, but not to shoot.

I shoot +P ammo in my Colt Defender, 3" barrel and a alloy frame. I shoot my Colt Government converted to 460 Rowland with no issues and a ton of fun. Hell I even shoot my S&W model 29 in 44 Mag and enjo......well I shoot it!

I have a Ruger LCP, and it's not fun to shoot.

Actually I do enjoy shooting my 44 Mag more than my Elsie Pea.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
That's the threadkilla!! Completely agree.
Senor Cane didn't agree.