Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   .380 or 45 ACP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/380-45-acp-25126/)

sawfish 03-24-2010 06:48 PM

.380 or 45 ACP

I am trying to decide which one to buy, a ruger lcp .380 or some kind of 45.
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park. I want a little pocket gun for around the house, outside, and can easily carry when I get my concealed permit. But on the other hand I have always wanted a 45.
My biggest concern about the 380 is that it seems to be very hard to find ammo for it. I have not chosen a 45 yet, I have looked at the M&P and the XD but have always like the 1911's. What are some thoughts about the lcp 380??

NGIB 03-24-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawfish (Post 256641)
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park.

Thank goodness for that.

I love shooting 1911s but I generally carry a .380 Walther PPK (or a PPK/S). If you need an easily concealable pocket type gun, get the LCP now and save up for the 1911. While I don't own an LCP, I have a bunch of friends that do and they like them. Be aware - they are not a lot of fun to shoot as those baby guns are very snappy...

ThorsHammer 03-24-2010 06:52 PM

Why don't you have a look at the Kimber Ultra TLE II?

Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Ultra Carry II > Ultra TLE II

Or possibly the Stainless Ultra Carry II:

Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Ultra Carry II > Stainless Ultra Carry II™

Both are around $1,000 and weigh in at 25 ounces with an empty mag.

These may be outside of your price range, but you'll have a .45 ACP in a very pretty, yet very concealable package!

ninjatoth 03-24-2010 07:06 PM

You won't be happy with a .380,you will regret not getting a .45acp.I got a 9mm instead of a .45acp,and even though I like the 9mm and is cheap to shoot,I keep thinking,what if I got that .45.With the LCP you are stuck with standard pressure ammo,no+P for the lcP,so your stopping power is alot lower than a .45acp,alot lower.My next gun might be a .45acp,I even like how cool a .45acp ball round looks.

jackg 03-24-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawfish (Post 256641)
I am trying to decide which one to buy, a ruger lcp .380 or some kind of 45.
I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park. What are some thoughts about the lcp 380??

Sawfish,
NGIB said exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. Go ahead and satisfy your need to get going by buying the LCP. Then take the next 90 days to explore the options regarding a .45 semi-auto weapon. At the end of the day your budget will give you the answer but during that 90 days you will learn a lot, especially about the LCP, if you can find any ammo. I found 4 fifty round boxes today at $25 ea. It's an expensive round and scarce.
By the way I have a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry in .45 auto and I love it. I also have a Walther PPK/S in .380 & I have learned to love it, it took practice, lots of it, for me.

lonyaeger 03-24-2010 08:34 PM

There are a lot of people in the world who carry .380s and are perfectly happy with them. You may be one of them, you'll never know until you try it. I think even .380 ammo is starting to loosen up a little more now as well.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that whatever you choose, be it .380 or . 45 ACP, you'll either (1) be satisfied with the .380 until you want to TRADE UP in caliber...or (2) not be satisfied with the .45 you picked and want to upgrade. It's part of the natural order of life with pistols!

NGIB 03-24-2010 09:13 PM

To further my point, handguns are like potato chips and almost nobody stops at just one. Satisfy the need for immediate carry protection, then do your homework and get a 1911...

Gojubrian 03-24-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 256708)
To further my point, handguns are like potato chips and almost nobody stops at just one. Satisfy the need for immediate carry protection, then do your homework and get a 1911...

That's the threadkilla!! Completely agree. :cool:

canebrake 03-24-2010 09:21 PM

Have you fired, or even handled a Ruger LCP?

They are small, no, tiny and it will bark at you when fired. They will even bite you should you go to the range and shoot up, let's say, two or three boxes of ammo!

Not a fun gun to shoot. Great gun to hide, just about anywhere, but not to shoot.

I shoot +P ammo in my Colt Defender, 3" barrel and a alloy frame. I shoot my Colt Government converted to 460 Rowland with no issues and a ton of fun. Hell I even shoot my S&W model 29 in 44 Mag and enjo......well I shoot it!

I have a Ruger LCP, and it's not fun to shoot.

Actually I do enjoy shooting my 44 Mag more than my Elsie Pea.

NGIB 03-24-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 256709)
That's the threadkilla!! Completely agree. :cool:

Senor Cane didn't agree.:(