Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .38 s&w airweight vs .380 ruger auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default .38 s&w airweight vs .380 ruger auto

.38 s&w airweight snubnose vs .380 ruger lcp auto,for concealecarry. Everybody seems to like the .380 for it's small pocket size. But I like the revolver, it never JAMS. Reliability & carry size is important,the BAD GUYS don't give second chances. IF it jams and does not fire when needed, YOUR **** OUT OF LUCK !!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well if you are looking for the best solution between a .38 SPL revolver and a .380ACP pistol, (and we have had the discussion before here on the forum) you shold be able to handle both types of weapons, and adapt them to your environment.
I am going through the same process. Due to the fact that now live in Brazil where the only defense calibers allowed are .22/.38spl/.380ACP, I have come to the conclusion to go with the .38 spl for the following reason:

As the defensive characteristics of the .380ACP are half of the firepower of a 9mm, and the .38spl +P comes close to the 9mm I have opted to go with the snub nose and the .38spl +p ammo.

For self defense I have been trained to use semi-auto, but I have always loved revolvers. Nevertheless, now I have to make the transition to use a revolver for self defense, which is basically just a matter of adapting the known techniques and practice. Of course if you go with the revolver your holster, clothes, speedloaders etc. has to be adapted, as undeniably a small .380ACP semi has a much smaller payload in terms of concealability, magazines, etc.

If this however is not a matter of concealed carry then there might be other items that needs to be prioritized and the final choice might be different.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Ruger LCP and a SP-101 revolver. They are kind of like shoes, each one matches a different outfit. And when I can't make up my mind, which is a lot, I carry them both. I think a revolver will be more dependable than an auto, but I have yet to have the LCP jam. I also have 3 more magazines for it. A revolver is just a little more difficult to load. When I looked I hadn't found a speed loader yet to fit the SP. Haven't looked since.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would not carry any thing liter than a .38 and then only for a pocket gun. My CCw weapon of choice is a 329 PD with a 4 in barrel. Love the .44 mag. and I don`t want to take a knife to a gun fight.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
.38 s&w airweight snubnose vs .380 ruger lcp auto,for concealecarry.
Funny you should ask that question because those are my two CCW weapons. I have a S&W Model 637 Airweight and a Ruger LCP. Most of the time I carry the .38 because it is more powerful. However, even though I have a permit and can legally carry concealed, there are certain situations in which I cannot afford to have it known that I am carrying. In those situations I just drop the LCP in my pocket. It is so small and thin that it just disappears.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #6

I have a 637 that i wear in a don hume IWB holster. Its very comfortable.
As for shootability. Iv had a glock 17,23 a walther ppk , sig 239, m&p 9c among many orthers. I have alwase come back to one of the airweights either the 637 or the 642. It is without question, that it is tied as the most accurate hand gun i have ever owned. I once posted a vidio on youtube where I shot a 2.5" group at 23 yards free hand. If you practice with this gun you will be a far better all around shooter than if you went on to somthing else. SPEED is not realy an issue either. I can shoot five rounds at a 15 yard target as fast as pretty much any orther pistol that I named. If you dryfire alot and get used to the trigger you can become fast with it. [B]Reliability is great no ftf no fte. Every subcompact pistol i have owned has malfunctioned, Walther ppk, Keltek p11. Well there are orther options for sub compact semi autos i have never seen one that has never malfunction. Draw speedas it pertains to concealed carry can be no faster than with a revolver worn on the hip (IWB). The reason for this is you have a cylinder that is up against you body. The grip at this point is not up against you body like a semi auto would be. So you have a easy target to wrap your hand around.

For a CCW dont know of a more accurate, reliable, fast to the draw gun than a S&W snub nose