3 New Ones
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 3 New Ones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 3 New Ones

I've been neglecting my handgun needs for awhile, I told ya I was Lazy! So I broke down and picked these up a couple weeks ago.

I'm switching my backup piece from ankle to pocket carry and wanted to try the LCP for lightweight summer carry. Its no .44 mag but it hides real well in my front or back pocket, should be a good invisible backup.

Wanted another snubbie for pocket carry and I didn't own an airweight. I think I'm gonna like this 638, nice feel to it, plenty of power for a backup. Size wise, this is probably the max I would care to carry in my pants pocket, but its just right for an inside jacket pocket.

This Ruger fits a niche I've been wanting to fill for over a year, just never got around to it. I bought the Blackhawk convertible mainly for the 9mm cylinder. I have a small pallet of the Dynamit Noble blue 9mm plastic training ammo. They don't operate the slide on my 9mm semi-autos but will work normally in the Ruger. Fun stuff at 25 yds! This one will probably never see a real .38, .357mag or 9mm, too many other favorite weapons in these cals.

So anyhow, now I gotta start another wish list! This gun stuff takes way too much think'in! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice triple play! Now where's our range reports?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let me know what you think of the LCP. I've been thinking about one for a while now for the very use you've described.
Honestly, I'm torn between it and the Sig P238 but you can buy two LCPs for the price of one Sig.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

Great choices. My LCP lives in my front pocket. There is no reason not to carry it everywhere it is legal. It's not a .357mag, but it's never home either.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Nice choices. Just a heads up though, multiple handgun sales within a 5 day period get reported to BATF tracing and a local LE agency such as the Sheriff's department the same day you purchase more than one pistol.
Some people don't mind it, others do.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kenhesr, great choice with the 638. My only complaint was the small grips. I replaced them in a hurry.
Post a range report when you get a chance. I'd love to hear another opinion on this little 38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Nice choices. Just a heads up though, multiple handgun sales within a 5 day period get reported to BATF tracing and a local LE agency such as the Sheriff's department the same day you purchase more than one pistol.
Some people don't mind it, others do.
I must have been reported numerous times then. I have purchased multiple weapons in a day more than a few times.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-15-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post

I must have been reported numerous times then. I have purchased multiple weapons in a day more than a few times.
There's nothing wrong with doing a multiple sale, after all, ALL over the counter firearm transactions eventually have to be sent in to ATF either when the store goes out of business, or after 20 years, whichever comes first.
They just like to keep tabs on people that buy more than one handgun within that period of time.. Why? I don't know

Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
Great choices. My LCP lives in my front pocket. There is no reason not to carry it everywhere it is legal. It's not a .357mag, but it's never home either.
Yep! I could not have said it better myself. It carries and draws soooo Smooth.
------------
spitty, -- I can't relate to the Sig, never even held one, but for the 2 weeks I've carried this LCP I have been Very impressed. I use the Desantis G3 pocket holster and it prints about like a wallet would in my front pocket and its fairly lightweight, my pants stay up.

The first day I had it I put 100 rds thru it without any problems. Realistically I could hold a pretty rapid 8" group at 7 paces, of course the target was unarmed. and forget about the front sights - In a rush it would be more of a sight down the top of the slide and fire type weapon.

For over 30 years I've carried my backup mostly in an ankle holster. Now that I'm retired I plan to live in cargo shorts all summer. An old man in shorts with an ankle holster just don't look quite right! So far this LCP has been just what I was look'in for. If I were to lose it, I would not think twice about getting another one.

--------------
mesinge2, -- I see what you mean about the factory grips. Its kinda funny because my hand fits the S&W the same as the LCP, little finger floating in the breeze. I put 150 rds of my .38 spec. reloads thru it last week. These were some I loaded for my snubbies, basically slightly reduced load, practice ammo, 4.5 gr. Unique under a 148 gr. Keith SWC lead bullet.

I was really surprised with the single action accuracy I could get. At 7 paces, cocking the hammer, I could hold 4" groups all day with slow fire and the recoil was not uncomfortable. This one is definitely a "keeper". Its a tad big for my regular front pocket carry so I think I'll go with bigger grips, (I like yours) and jacket pocket carry this in cooler weather.

----------------

General, -- Thanks for the heads-up! but this was done on purpose!

Our State Law requires that you have a permit to aquire handguns OR a CCW permit, (the CCW is the higher level permit) to buy a new handgun. If you have the permit you can purchase as many as you want, any time you want, and take them with you. On long guns its the same, only you don't need any stink'in permit. They just do the phone check if you don't have a handgun permit and you are GTG.

I just renewed my CCW permit with the sheriff last January, The Army has my fingerprints and the Feds have my latest security clearance from my last job. Our Govt. can find my lifes story in about 5 minutes, sucks don't it!

I guess I like to do this because I still can! I've never had the BATF contact me about multiple purchases. Even if they wanted to what could they do? I am so squeaky clean it hurts. Except for that time in Saigon with the two midgets and a goat, but I think time has run out on that one.

----------------
bear, -- I was happy with the accuracy and function of the LCP & 638. I would recommend both to anyone. Then hope they didn't like them so I could buy them on the cheap!

---------------
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 04-16-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelig erer!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

If ATF did come pay you a visit, which they probably wouldn't unless you had bought maybe 100 or so guns in a short period of time, basically it would be to make sure you have all the guns you bought and that you weren't running an illegal gun business.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice trio!
I think you will like the airweight, I traded out the stock grip on my 642 but it still is compact enough using a IWB holster it disappears under a tee shirt.

s-w-642-006a.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.