22tcm

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 22tcm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default 22tcm

Hey fellow talkers.

I just found found something rather intriguing. You may already onow of this, or there may even be a thread here on it, but I haven't been able to keep upwith the forums lately withpersonal things going on. So forgive me if I'm reitterating an old topic.

If you haven't heard of it, you will love to check out the new cartridge by Armscor/Rock Island Armory. It is a 22tcm which is a 22caliber projectile necked into a 9mm casing. This is more like a mini 223 launching in the area of 2000-2250fps. That's just cool!

I started to post this in the 1911 forum as the particular gun is a widened 1911 that carries 18+1. But I figured this is more about the caliber than the gun.

So with yet another new caliber coming out, I have to wonder how it will do. I think this might a round thats impressive enough to stick. I could foresee glock and other manufactures picking this this up for a completely new line of handguns. I'm already thinking of something along the lines of an LC9 in the 22tcm. It sounds to me like plenty enough punch without the recoil. Of course it is a little pricey for a 22 cal round, but no more than a 45acp. There have been several lost and forgotten rounds, but this I think would stick. It could definitely be lady friendly in a subcompact ccw.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #2

Liked 2189 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Pricey. Not a common round. Not a lot of gain. Bottle neck rounds are more difficult to reload.

FN 5.7 has been out for a while and with the best ammo restricted for sale it doesn't perform that great. Haven't seen the big ammo manufacturers jump onboard to make ammo for it in a decade.

Gotta convince a lot if shooters to put the above issues aside to take a risk on it. The one thing it does have going for it is that if the round flops the guns can be converted to 9mm.

I might consider a barrel for a Glock instead of investing in a whole new gun.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good point doc, actually rock island does send a 9mm barrel with it and the rear sight is adjustable for the heavier slower round. But I'm with you. I think a Glock barrel for a G19 would be rather fun as well as potent.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Don't know if it's true or not but according the American rifleman it's a hollow point 223 round.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=142