.22 wmrf - What?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 wmrf - What?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .22 wmrf - What?

Hi Friends, This may be a stupid question, but what does "wmrf" mean in regard to a .22 mag T/C Contender barrel?
Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8881 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Despite the saying, there ARE stupid questions- but this is not one of them.

It means Winchester Magnum Rimfire- the formal name of the .22 magnum.

There is also .22 WRF- Winchester Rimfire (like a .22 mag Short) There was also .22 Winchester Auto, .22 Remington Auto, a .22 Special, and a .22 Velo Dog (Euro .22 centerfire) and .22 BB cap, CB cap, short, long long rifle, and extra long. Most of these (except the ones in blue) are obsolete, and not often seen.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks c3shooter

Thanks c3shooter, It was the "F" at the end (WMRF) that was throwing me. I had heard of WMR but not WMRF. I guess the "F" stands for "fire" as in rimFIRE. Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #4

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Despite the saying, there ARE stupid questions- but this is not one of them.

It means Winchester Magnum Rimfire- the formal name of the .22 magnum.

There is also .22 WRF- Winchester Rimfire (like a .22 mag Short) There was also .22 Winchester Auto, .22 Remington Auto, a .22 Special, and a .22 Velo Dog (Euro .22 centerfire) and .22 BB cap, CB cap, short, long long rifle, and extra long. Most of these (except the ones in blue) are obsolete, and not often seen.

The .22 WRF is often found in limited quantities as short production runs have been made. I liked using these in my Ruger Single Six, with the .22 WMR cylinder in place. The flat point lead bullet was just the thing for squirrels, and the larger cartridges were easier to handle with cold hands than the .22 LR.

Bob Wright