.22 target pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 target pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you're dead set on a 41, I'd shop Gunbroker for a used one. Late 70s models would about be the only ones I would consider personally though. New production would certainly be out.

You might find a used Hammerli in that budget. Or you can look into a custom Volquartsen.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #12

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have to admit that I have not shot a current model 41; I got mine about 1970, and found it to be an excellent gun. I will also say that, at the time, Hi Standard made an excellent target pistol -- my father shot one in his Bullseye matches. But I preferred my 41. I wouldn't mind having one of the Hi Standards from that era, thought, as they were also excellent guns. To be honest, though, this many years later, I'm not sure which model he had. I think it was the Supermatic Citation.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I think the S&W 41 has been living off it's reputation.
I think you should consider a Volquartsen

https://www.volquartsen.com/

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredgunner185
Yeah I actually called 4 gunships in my area and all are sold out and told me good luck and I just don't have the patience for online guns lol I like to see what I'm getting and check it out before I buy so I tend to stay away from that
Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it, too!

If you want instant gratification you'll have to settle for a Ruger or Buckmark. If you want a S&W Model 41 or a gun of similar quality you're stuck ordering one through your FLGS or buying one new or used from one of the online sources.

Last edited by mdauben; 08-25-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #15

Yeah thanks for all input guys I really appreciate it. As far as cake and eat it to goes I understand I may have to wait for a gun that's not exactly what I meant I meant I like to look at the gun and get a feel of it before I buy lol. And I like to support my local gun shops. As far as the volquartsen they seem really nice but honestly they're still based on ruger product seems like. I just ordered a tactical solutions barrel and compensator for the browning do you thing the browning is a good choice to upgrade as far as comps go. Or should I drop money into volquartsen gun. I don't mind to do so but they look so similar.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredgunner185 View Post
Yeah thanks for all input guys I really appreciate it. As far as cake and eat it to goes I understand I may have to wait for a gun that's not exactly what I meant I meant I like to look at the gun and get a feel of it before I buy lol. And I like to support my local gun shops. As far as the volquartsen they seem really nice but honestly they're still based on ruger product seems like. I just ordered a tactical solutions barrel and compensator for the browning do you thing the browning is a good choice to upgrade as far as comps go. Or should I drop money into volquartsen gun. I don't mind to do so but they look so similar.
Volquartsen are based on the Ruger design, but there's nothing wrong with that. They are top tier in terms of competition guns.

The TacSol barrel is not considered competition-grade. It's just an aftermarket barrel to help reduce weight. They won't be any more accurate than the factory barrel. Fixing up your Buckmark will be fun and you can certainly improve from the original, but the end result will not be a Bullseye contender.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #17

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm thinking mebbe there's a reason the Model 41 is so hard to find -- people snap them up.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'm thinking mebbe there's a reason the Model 41 is so hard to find -- people snap them up.
That's certainly one reason. Another could be that most shops don't see a lot of market in stocking $1000+ 22 pistols. A
great majority of people buying 22 pistols want Ruger, Buckmarks, etc. Essentially, $250-$375 pistols. Not a lot of competition shooters in some areas.

As a dealer and knowing my area, I don't want to tie up that much money to stock a 41 that might take years to sell.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 657

I suggest get a Ruger, Buckmark, etc and develoup your skills before investing in a Volquartzen or other high end target pistol. Otherwise you could go to the range with your high end target pistol and be out shot by someone with a Ruger,Buckmark, etc.
I installed the Volquartzen trigger kit in my Ruger MKII. Worth every penny. I also have a High Stanmdard Sport King from the 60's. Both are very accurate.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #20

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredgunner185 View Post
Yeah I actually called 4 gunships in my area and all are sold out and told me good luck and I just don't have the patience for online guns lol I like to see what I'm getting and check it out before I buy so I tend to stay away from that
You have gunships in your area, and they sell

firearms? I guess nobody could stop them, if they wanted to...