Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 semi-auto at the range???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 semi-auto at the range???

I am looking to but a .22 semi auto for target shooting at the range. Can someone give me a tip on what to look for in a gun? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to spend too little. I have looked at the Sig "Mosquito" but I don't know anyone that has shot it. Help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Myself, I own an S&W model 17 revolver. If I was looking for a semi .22, it would either be a Ruger or Browning.

One of the big reasons I like my S&W is it will eat any .22 ammo without a hiccup. Most .22's are notoriously finicky as to ammo. You don't have to worry about that with revolvers.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy22 View Post
I am looking to but a .22 semi auto for target shooting at the range. Can someone give me a tip on what to look for in a gun? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to spend too little. I have looked at the Sig "Mosquito" but I don't know anyone that has shot it. Help!
ive got a pink mosquito. havent found anything that wont cycle in it as sig send a low recoil spring and a high recoil spring for shooting high and low velocity rounds. the trigger is total and utter crap. but overall i like it for a plinker. if it had a better trigger it would easily be the best 22lr pistol out there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I won a nice .22 on this here site that shoots great. I also shoot a walther p.22 that shoots great.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1549 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Check this out: Beretta Model 76 Pistol .22LR NIB 76W : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Generally you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark or a Browning Buckmark. These are basically the rimfire semi-autos that are considered the benchmarks against which all others are compared. The guns like the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito (I have both) are much more ammo picky and are considered plinkers versus target pistols.

To echo what ScottA said, a quality .22 revolver is great as they will shoot even Remington Thunderbolt ammo. The problem is they ain't cheap - if you find one for less than $500 used - you done good. I bought this S&W 617 new about 2 years ago and it set me back about $650 (not including the wood stocks and fiber optic front sight)...

I prefer the Ruger to the Buckmark and here's my Mark III Hunter:

Last edited by NGIB; 01-07-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #7

i shoot a walter p22 this past weekend, i would buy one. little on the smaller side if you have a bigger hand but didnt have any problems with it and ate 5 diffferent types of ammo and did glitch once. small amount of recoil but not like a 9mm.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #8

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Browning Buckmark that is a great for a not too expensive gun. I also have a Walther P22 that is a very good plinker, as is the SIG Mosquito. For serious shooting I have a High Standard Supermatic Trophy, but that is getting into some serious money.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for the Ruger Mk III. I have the competition model, and it's a tack driver even in my inexperienced hands. The Buckmark is a close second.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #10

Definitely check out the Ruger Mark series

I have a Mark II 50th Anniversary, it's an absolutely amazing gun. Reliable, accurate, and comfortable

Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversary .22lr
Sears & Roebuck .22lr
1943 Mosin-Nagant M91/30

In the family:
Springfield Loaded 1911 .45 ACP
S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum
FN Herstal FNX 40