.22 pistol recommendations - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 pistol recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Again, the Ruger 22/45 is far more accurate and reliable than either the Ruger R22 or the Walther.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Not sure how much weight my opinion would have. But I think the 22/45 is far more reliable than any striker-fired .22, and the Walther P22 is told to be a jam-o-matic. The 22/45 works more like a blowback operated bolt rifle. There's no slide. I think it lends itself better to the .22LR cartridge which is small and long, easy to get locked up on the feed ramp. Mine flawlessly eats any brand of ammo. I get the best groupings with CCI Blazers.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #23

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A blowback operated bolt action. Could you explain that?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
A blowback operated bolt action. Could you explain that?
Not bolt action, blowback operated semi auto bolt. As opposed to blowback operated slide.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #25

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I like the Heritage Rough Rider 22/22M 9IN BL

I have the 6.5 heritage combo. I regret not getting the 9" to get the most out of my 22WMR ammo. The CCI short barrel ammo is better but not close to a rifle. The longer sight plane will add to the fun. The SA does slow ammo consumption and I hunt with SA pistols. The heritage does have the heft and feel of my Magnum SA pistols. Buds Gun Shop has them for $193 - they run about $220 at the LGS.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I like that revolver... Is that a 6 shooter or does it hold more?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I like that revolver... Is that a 6 shooter or does it hold more?
It's a 6. Surprisingly cheap revolver (price wise). I don't particularly like cowboy action grips but to each his own.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_802/products_id/87907/Heritage+Rough+Rider+2222M+9IN+BL
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_802/products_id/87905/Heritage+Rough+Rider+2222M+6.5+BL

Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #28

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I put these grips on my heritage http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heritage-Rough-Rider-FIE-E15-Excam-TA76-Grips-Walnut-Target-GRsil091-/360481856982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee64 9dd6

They needed a tiny bit of fitting. I just used an emery board to make them fit perectly.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #29

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

(CONCERNING SEMI-AUTO OPTIONS)

Here's my thought process from when I went through the same search:

First, did I want this as something I could sell to reinvest into something bigger later, or was it just a "toy" I'd probably keep around and continue to have fun plinking with?

(Disclaimer, for the self-righteous whom would jump on me for calling any gun a toy, the quotes are to denote the obvious intent of comparison to something more suited to what most seem to consider protective. I in no way consider any firearm, even BBguns, as a toy by definition.)

For me it was the latter, especially since I'vd already had bigger guns already. From there I was left to determine if it would be something I want to have for a lifetime, or just one I'd use until it broke and care less about it. I learned, from reading around, that rimfire ammo, like the 22lr cartridge, weren't regarded as reliable, thus no matter the gun itself, I'd be buying something that relies on something else not so high-end. It answered my question for me and junker it was.

I did some research into some different guns, went shooting for about my third time, my boss came and brought along his little Jimenez JA-22. If you've done any diligence in research you'll've crossed the name Jimenez, and the feelings are a very strong negative! But that didn't matter to me, I'd already determined it a toss worthy piece to have fun with. It was really fun, shot at 50ft I hit average sized target on a bale of hay every time.

So I picked one of the cool polished chrome JA-22s and today it's got thousands of rounds through it with only two FTE during break in period. I use quality ammo, CCI MiniMag only and haven't looked back since.

What I have determined, since, is that the trigger action is something very important to me, as well as process action.

3rd & 4th things to think about would be blowback or striker fire & single action, double action, or DA/SA. I wont carry the Jimenez because it's striker fire and I simply don't trust that. I require a hammer now, but it's still buttloads of fun on the range.

So now I'm adding a Phoenix HP22A. They have an awesome package deal that includes a 5" barrel for target shooting and a 3" for carry, should you wish to go that route. Personally 3" is enough for me for both occasions, but I can see the value in the 5" for sure.

There are also the Baretta 21A, it's DA/SA and from a great manufacturer, a definite proven gun, just look it up. If double action suits you the options are endless, but I wouldn't spend the kind of money on a 22 pistol that the one's you'e looked at thus far cost.

Size is also something to consider. So far what you've mentioned are what I'd call full-size framed 22s. If that's so you can look at the Bersa Thunder 22. Really well built and a great bang for the buck, no polymer frame, just a solid built gun!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 10-03-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #30

Likes Given: 1

How's the Smith and Wesson M&P 22? Thanks for the recommends guys I appreciate it.