.22 pistol recommendations
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 pistol recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default .22 pistol recommendations

Hello all, I'm somewhat new to the hobby. Looking for a 22 caliber pistol for fun at the range. I have used guns in the past when I was in the military however I want to get educated and start properly instead of jumping straight into something high caliber that I can't handle.

So far I'm looking at Ruger SR22 and Walther P22.

Last edited by Darkslide; 09-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It always depends, what you are looking for and what you want do do with it.

I got my self a FN/Browning International II. Looks a bit like the Ruger MK Series.
Shoots fast, easy to clean and maintain, is accurate and plain fun to shoot.

You can get it as a Target version with target grips or with standard grips.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It always depends, what you are looking for and what you want do do with it.

I got my self a FN/Browning International II. Looks a bit like the Ruger MK Series.
Shoots fast, easy to clean and maintain, is accurate and plain fun to shoot.

You can get it as a Target version with target grips or with standard grips.

That's a very nice gun! As far as what I'm looking for just a 22 caliber handgun style (not into the revolvers). For use just something for the shooting range to have fun with.

I'm still learning gun lingo so sorry if I'm not answering your question thoroughly.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

There are several .22`s on the market, that are fun to shoot.

I chose the Browning International II, because I have both worlds combined in it.
I do target shooting as done at the olympic games. Single handed at 25m, but also like to plink a bit. Steel-plates are very fun to shoot with a .22, because you very little recoil and can really go fast on the plates.

I tried the Walther ?22 and didn`t really like it much. It`s very small, almost to small, and the trigger isn`t mine. The ruger looks similar to me.

If you are more into practical shooting, have a look at the GSG 1911`s.

Not too expencive and are supposed to be pretty good and accurate.

If you are more into plinking, fun shooting, the Browning oder Ruher MK Series are a good overall choice and cheap to get.
I paid 169,- for mine (I live in germany).

You can also look at the FN 150, wich is the same as the Browning International II, only that it has a round bull barrell.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

I don't think I will be plinking I don't really a place that I can do that as I live about 5 minutes from new orleans. I have been hearing mixed reviews on the Walther P22 so I am kinda iffy about it but I hear great things about the Ruger SR22 which I am kinda leaning towards especially since it comes with 2 mags and it's extremely easy to take apart to clean. I didn't know they have 1911's in a .22 caliber, that's a really nice looking gun. I'm going to be at a gun show at the end of october so I'm trying to build a list of guns to look for.

Last edited by Darkslide; 09-22-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

The GSG 1911`s are german made (GSG = German Sports Guns) and for what they are, good priced.

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php/en/1911-tech-en

I have only heard positive things in the US area about the GSG`s 1911`s.

But, what you can also to, is get a regular big bore pistol and get a conversion kit with it.
There are several .22 conversion kits for the 1911 plattform.
But also the CZ75 Series pistol offers that, in addition to the .22 caliber pistols they offer, like the CZ75 Kadet

or the CZ75 Sport 3

You can get the CZ75 at very good used prices as a 9mm and get the Kadet conversion kit to use on it.
That way, you have two for the price of one.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

all the suggestions made are good choices, but another good option is the Ruger Mark III pistols. several different versions and price levels depending on material, finish and barrel length. quite a bit of aftermarket support as far as parts and accessories also. very accurate and reliable. downside is the teardown. can be a little difficult first few times.

i bought the Mark III 22/45 Target model last year for about $280 NIB. has 5.5" target barrel. adjustable sights and drilled and tapped for the provided scope base if i decide to mount a scope in the future.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #8

I have a RugerSR22 that I rather enjoy.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i enjoy my Sr22 aswell. And i also enjoy shooting the Ruger mark III both are great guns in my opinion

Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have the Ruger SR22. Happy and satissfied with my purchase.