.22 for my son - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 for my son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Haver a look at the Walther P22.

It`s a cute and small semi auto pistol, that looks like a gun, but is pretty small in dimensions. The grip is very small and should fit the hands of a 10 year old pretty well.

I tried the P22 and didn`t do very well with it, because the grip is far to small for me, and I have small hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P22

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
10 years old? A pistol!? My Scotch is older than that. He may be responsible for a Grammar School student but I can't say a parent giving their Tween one is. I'd recommend...

...you give him one as a High School graduation gift (presuming it's legal then and there).
I don't see the harm in teaching children responsibility for firearms at a young age assuming they are young enough to take it seriously and smart enough to follow all the rules. I should also point out that we call it his, but the gun stays locked in our gun safe unless we are going to the range to fire it. It's not like the kid keeps it loaded next to his night stand.

Mike

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I received my first pistol about that age, a .22 Lightning by AMT, basically a knock-off of one of the Ruger Marks. In retrospect, something easier to break down for cleaning might have been better. Course, i still have it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I got a Ruger single six around that age, good for learning the fundamentals

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

I assume you meant semi-auto since you stated pistol. So with that said, the two choices that I would recommend is the Ruger MK series pistols and the Browning Bench Mark. Also if you can find an older Hi-Standard Target Pistol for a fair price in good condition they are somewhat collectors items at this time and might be a great investment for him in the future. Wish I had my High Standard Victor back although I do have a Bench Mark that I really like at the present.

If Single Action the Ruger Single Six is a good choice.
I think a double action revolver might be a little much for him at this point so I will not list them.

Good luck and you are to be commended for teaching him to be safe to shoot and to love the shooting sport! GOOD JOB DAD!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #16

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
That is another good point for the Taurus until he gets proficient don't load the clip, just use the flip up barrel as a single shot
Stay far far away from the Taurus PT22

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #17

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5150 View Post
I don't see the harm in teaching children responsibility for firearms at a young age assuming they are young enough to take it seriously and smart enough to follow all the rules. I should also point out that we call it his, but the gun stays locked in our gun safe unless we are going to the range to fire it. It's not like the kid keeps it loaded next to his night stand.

Mike
Here Here

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger single six or mark iii

Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

All my boys(four of'm)started around that age,maybe a year or so earlier with.....A Colt Diamondback in .38 special.Shooting nice low level wadcutters.I know most folks recomend .22's,and I sort of agree........But alot of it depends on the mindset of the instructor as well as the student.My boys all got very familiar with the DB....to the point of them loading their own ammo.They all then moved up to 1911's,again with low level ammo when it was time for semi instruction.

It wasn't until years later that they discover'd .22s.Looking back....and wouldn't change a thing....I think the biggest part of their instruction was about recoil "management"

.22's....and this is just an opinion....start the shooter with the idea or notion that there isn't any recoil.I felt then and depending on the student,still do...that learning to enjoy recoil,taming it,managing it should be one of the early lessons.This HAS to be done with low level fodder.Anyone that handles big kickers early in their experience is going to have a tough row to hoe later.Just food for thought...good luck with your decision.

All these years later,the boys are about split....some prefer revolvers,others swear by the 1911's.None of them like hard kickers......they love the medium level stuff.And are sort of just OK with .22's.Shopnut.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It all depends upon the kid.

For example, I would have trusted my younger sister's kids at 8 with any firearm. I'm not sure I would trust my older sister's kids at 16 with much.
Teaching a kid is important and letting them try your handgun may be fine. I'm thinking the kid here will, in fact, be handed a handgun to keep in his toybox. Interesting perspective, but remember: that 16 year old was once a cute, bright, responsible 8 year old!