.22 for my son
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 for my son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 for my son

Hi there. I'd like to get a .22 pistol for my 10 year old son. He enjoys going to the range with us, and does very well with our .22 rifle, but the 9mm is a bit too much for him. Any recommendations for a nice reliable but affordable .22 hand gun that would suit a 10 year old would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Where to start?

Ruger Mk 2 or Mk 3 are always good choices.
Ruger SR22
Smith & Wesson M&P 22
Browning Buckmark
Beretta NEOS

Personally, I have a S&W model 17 revolver; but that would be a little pricey for a 10 year old I would think.

Ruger SP101 .22 might be a better choice if you wanted to go the revolver route. I wouldn't recommend the the .22 LCR due to it's very short sight radius which makes for much more difficult shooting.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 05-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Liked 207 Times on 155 Posts

All those are fine pistols but I'm not too sure bout fitting the hands of 10 year old boy.if he was as big as I was at 10 then they would be fine my first was a hd military hi standard. But the small 22 Taurus p22 might be a good fit, and with the flip up barrel he wouldn't need the strength to rack the first round

Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

How long has he been shooting rifles? The only reason I ask is that in my mind, 10 years is awfully young for someone to have their own dedicated pistol. My old man made me practice and become proficient and safe with a rifle for several years before I was even allowed to shoot one of his 22 pistols. Accidents can happen a lot quicker with a pistol. And even then, he would never buy a pistol for me. To this day, he's bought me many different rifles, but he's never bought a pistol for me. He says pistols are simply too dangerous and he wouldn't be able to live with himself if an accident happened with a pistol that he had bought for me. Just some food for thought...

Last edited by Olympus; 05-01-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would bet the Ruger Mk's and the SR22 would fit with no problems.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

Liked 207 Times on 155 Posts

That is another good point for the Taurus until he gets proficient don't load the clip, just use the flip up barrel as a single shot

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #7

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Look at a Ruger Single Six. You have to cock the hammer back manually every time so it is hard to get into trouble. It was my first handgun (I was 17 at the time).

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #8

He's been shooting Rifles for about 2 years, and he's very responsible. I would say he is average to small compared to other kids his age. I wouldn't say he's a big kid by any stretch. I personally feel that if we are going to have guns in the house, I want him to be proficient and knowledgeable about all the responsibilities that go along with it. I don't really want there to be any mystery to guns for him. I want him to know exactly how dangerous they can be if mishandled which is why we encourage him to shoot everything we own, and we stress safety at every step. This next bit is a bit off topic, but it's a very proud moment for me. Last time we took him to the range was the first time we let him shoot our 9mm. He was doing very well, but all of a sudden we saw his eyes widen and he slowly set the gun down on the counter facing down range and backed away before swiping at his neck. A hot bullet casing ejected and landed inside the collar of his sweatshirt and burned him enough to leave a mark for several days. Instead of dropping the gun or even worse waving it around erratically my 9 year old boy took the time to safely set the gun on the counter and back away from it before freaking out

Thanks again for all the advice, this gives me a great place to start. Price is definitely an issue, but most importantly I want a reliable gun for him, and hopefully something that he is proud to pass on to his son when the time comes. His first rifle was a savage 64, and it jammed after every other bullet it seemed. It was a complete waste of money, and I'd like to avoid having that happen again.

Mike

Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Surprised

10 years old? A pistol!? My Scotch is older than that. He may be responsible for a Grammar School student but I can't say a parent giving their Tween one is. I'd recommend...

...you give him one as a High School graduation gift (presuming it's legal then and there).

Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It all depends upon the kid.

For example, I would have trusted my younger sister's kids at 8 with any firearm. I'm not sure I would trust my older sister's kids at 16 with much.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA