.22 handgun recommendations?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

.22 handgun recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default .22 handgun recommendations?

I have pretty much every caliber in a handgun that I want except for a .22. I do borrow/rent them regularly. You just can't beat the cost of the ammo.

But every time I go shopping for a .22, I always find something in a different caliber that I can't resist for about the same money. Sigh.

BUT, I am determined to buy one this year. I want to make a *careful* choice on this considering it's probably the only .22 I'll own. I've looked at/shot several, and can't make a decision (although I have ruled some out completely).

What do you .22 owners recommend, and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

The finest .22 available IMHO. A S&W 617 10 shot...

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

Browning Buckmark camper would be my recomendation.

I personally have a phoenix hp22a not what I would consider a "quality" firearm but its reliable and I'm reasonably accurate with it and for $80 used you cant beat it.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I like Rugers for reliability and accuracy. I like reliability even if I'm not going to use it for self-defense, because clearing jams and the like at the range isn't fun, and my .22s are all about fun (as long as safety is observed first). And a gun that hits what I aim at is also fun.

I have been disappointed in my Sig Mosquito, though a friend of mine has one (a more recent model) that works quite well. Another friend also has a S&W .22 auto (don't recall the exact model name) that he's happy with. I find it has some misfeeds, but it's not too bad.

Depending on your budget, I believe Sig also makes a higher-end .22. If you like revolvers, S&W makes a nice .22 as well.

There will be others along shortly to discuss Buckmarks, Neos, and others.

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The S&W Model 41 is the cream of the crop. Just pick one up and you'll know what I mean, it's the most naturally-pointing firearm I've ever held, plus they're wicked accurate. Very pricey, though.

I own a Ruger Mk III, and love it. It's a pain to take down, but resilient enough that I only have to disassemble it about once a month. It's a big, heavy hunk of steel, but as durable as they come, and heavy isn't undesirable for a plinker. I've only been shooting for a few months, and I can drive tacks with it.

For lighter frames, I shot a few while I was deciding on my Ruger, and my favorite of them was either the Browning Buckmark (Aluminum) or the Beretta Neos (Tupperware). Did not enjoy the Walther P22 at all.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-02-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Mosquito or P22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NGIB--that's one gorgeous 617!

GunLady, might want to consider something that compliments your centerfires, such as a SIG with a .22 topend, or a 1911 with a .22 conversion, etc. That way you practice with the same gun as your big bores...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

If you like Ruger, I love my Single Six. A 525 Value pack from Federal ammunition and add that Six, you'll have a good weekend!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #9

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What:
used Walther P22 all black for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $279.00
used Ruger Single Six .22LR for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $289.00
Ruger 22LR CHARGER 10IN W/ Fired Shell Casing for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $291.00
Walther P22 .22lr 3.4" Black for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $314.00
Walther P22 .22lr 3.4" Military OD Green for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $317.00
Walther 10 + 1 Round 22 Long Rifle w/3.4" Barrel & Brushed C for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $398.00
Heritage Arms 6 Round 22 Long Rifle Revolver w/6 1/2" Barrel for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $157.00
Sig Mosquito .22LR Nickel for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $290.00
Why?
Cuz I'm cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #10

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
NGIB--that's one gorgeous 617!

GunLady, might want to consider something that compliments your centerfires, such as a SIG with a .22 topend, or a 1911 with a .22 conversion, etc. That way you practice with the same gun as your big bores...
I really hate to argue with you but;
  • If you are referring to a competition mind-set shooter, that may work. (I'm not a competition shooter and wouldn't know.)
  • But, if you're talking about a fighting mind-set shooter, there is no practice with anything other than your PD WEAPON, chambered in, and using your carry ammo!

If you want to shoot cheap for a plunking weekend of fun by all means, get the conversion kit.

Just don't fool yourself into believing it is Personal Defense training/practice!

That mind-set WILL get you killed!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello