Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldelf View Post
I'm considering getting one for my wife. She has some wrist issues and I figured the low recoil would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldelf View Post
All great points, but I also want a gun that is cheap for her to shoot.
If she has "wrist issues" that may cause shooting to be uncomfortable, how much do you think she will really run through the pistol? Get her to compare a little .22LR to a .380 in a Bersa Thunder; she might go for the bigger round when she sees & feels the difference in firing them.

If all she can handle is the .22LR, let her know it is fair to aim for the eyes and testicles.

Maybe some of those gel-padded shooting gloves would help her? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2528333511/hatch-ksg500-shooting-gloves-leather-and-kevlar

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If all she can handle is the .22LR, let her know it is fair to aim for the eyes and testicles.
Every person of the female pursuasion that I have taught marksmanship to instinctively knew where to place their rounds when presented with their first silhouette target...

eldar
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The caliber one shoots best is the best for them I've said a million times. Though I also say at least as often that when looking at a personal defense weapon it's the wrong time to look at cost over effectiveness.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Avoid the Walther P22. Too many issues. The Ruger SR22 is almost identical without the issues. Use 40 solids not HP. Better penetration and reliability. You will always find some people that will swear by their P22 but I have always sworn at them. I am not a Taurus fan but their little PT22 is OK if you need very small. Load only 8 rounds in the mag and it has a tip barrel to load the first round. Double strike capability. Mine broke after 19 years of heavy use and Taurus replaced it. Do not load any Stingers or similar in the Taurus. This link will give you an idea of how 22lr performs in a short barrel.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
If you decide to go heavier, look at the Sig P238 in 380. It is a pleasure to shoot unlike the other mouse guns.The slide is easier to rack if you cock the hammer first. She will have to train on the safety.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

There are far more reliable rounds out of a pistol than 22lr, and that amounts to every bit as much of a "performance" issue as the lack of size/ballistics/power. But a reliable 22lr pistol with reliable ammunition (CCI) isn't necessary a bad option. In fact I think it can be a solid choice under the right circumstances, which might include your wife.

Check out the Ruger SR22. It's darn near identical to the Walther, but I believe it costs a bit less. Mags are also a bit more affordable and easier to find. I helped my mother shop for her first pistol and that's what we chose. It's very compact, fits small hands well, accurate, and a highly functional gun. To this point I have seen zero failures even with bulk ammo. And the gun runs about $300, with very light, compact, and affordable rail mounted lasers available if desired. I bought mom a Crimson Trace for Christmas...$110.

FWIW- The dealer we bought the SR22 from told us they'd stopped carrying the Walther P22 altogether because the SR22 was so similar, but more desireable (USA made, lower cost, brand loyalty, etc).

Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
They used to issue a .22 here for personal protection.
Yeah, but British criminal are cupcakes!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #17

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Have her try a couple of lower calibers. Rimfire simply is not reliable enough for self defense, especially out of a semiautomatic. I'd seriously invest some range time with the 25acp or 32acp. I think she'll find the 380acp too snappy for a bad wrist, but these are quite reasonable recoil rounds.

Also keep in mind that size of fun makes a huge difference in felt recoil. So too decide how large of a handgun she's willing to carry. I think you'll find a nice Bauer 25acp to fit the bill nicely.