.22 for concealed carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > .22 for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 for concealed carry

Thoughts ? I have many female friends that carry a .22 pistol for self-defense . I'm considering getting one for my wife. She has some wrist issues and I figured the low recoil would help. The question it's which one? Walther P22 seams to be a good choice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldelf View Post
Thoughts ? I have many female friends that carry a .22 pistol for self-defense . I'm considering getting one for my wife. She has some wrist issues and I figured the low recoil would help. The question it's which one? Walther P22 seams to be a good choice.

The Walther seems like a nice compact package. Beretta makes some compact ones as well. Some of my issues with .22 pistols is that many are too large for their caliber because they are meant for target shooting, not concealment.

You'll probably hear a lot of people saying "nobody carries a 22..." blah blah blah lol. Any gun is better than no gun.

Watch my videos at The MilProAkron YouTube Channel

Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2733 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I'd have you look at a .25 acp (or better yet, a .32 acp.)
With the .25 at least, you have a cartridge that was designed with semi auto use in mind, thus much more likely to function reliably. Also, I'm no ballistics expert, but I suspect that the .25 may have a slight performance advantage out of a short little barrel.
Check the .32 as well, it's not exactly a punishing cartridge and will be superior to either of your smaller options.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

North American arms they make tiny. 22 revolvers.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

All great points, but I also want a gun that is cheap for her to shoot.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

If a pit-bull sized dog was coming at you, would you feel confident with the .22 to put the dog down?
If a 160# wild pig was coming at you, would you feel confident with the .22 to put the pig down?

If the answer is "No", then why are you confident that the .22 will stop the worse two legged animal?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

I would only carry .22 for self defense in a revolver due to the chance for a misfire.

Wth a semi auto, you'd have to clear the weapon to continue shooting. With a revolver, you could continue firing merely by continuing to squeeze the trigger.

.22 Mag over .22 LR.

eldar

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldelf View Post
All great points, but I also want a gun that is cheap for her to shoot.
I understand but if her life depends on the caliber of weapon wouldn't you want something proven to stop an assailant?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

Liked 492 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Check out the Bersa Thunder in .22 LR. Gets solid reviews and is more reliable than the Walther.

Avoid the Walther and SIG .22's for personal defense. These are actually made 3rd party by a company called Umarex and have spotty reviews. Fine guns for plinking but not guns I would rely on.

If the Walther P22 size is good, check out the Ruger SR22. Can be found for the same price or cheaper and is also well reviewed. For concealed carry I would personally prefer the Bersa.

.25 ACP may not be cheap, but it is more reliable than .22 LR. That is the other issue. The best .22 auto will still have a problem with bad ammo. I would recommend CCI Mini-Mags exclusively if you're using an automatic.

Another recommendation is to check out some 9 shot compact revolvers. Harder to reload but if you come across a bad round you can just pull the trigger again. If you have a misfire due to a bad round in an auto it could cost you.

I would HIGHLY recommend a .32 ACP. Only because of the wrist issues, typically I would recommend higher. I get that cost is an issue but for self defense I think you should always chamber the biggest round you can carry.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

They used to issue a .22 here for personal protection.

walther_pp_22lr_l66a1_left_iso.jpg