Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 22 auto or revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I know they aren't sexy, but I just don't here very much about problems with Heritage Rough Rider DA revolvers. I've had one for several months, it came with both .22lr & .22wmr cylinders for just over $200. I haven't had it out much, but so far it has functioned flawlessly!
Pin held cylinder or swing open?? Knowing the cylinder is exchangeable, tells me it's probably pin held and that's one thing I want to get away from

Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I know they aren't sexy, but I just don't here very much about problems with Heritage Rough Rider DA revolvers. I've had one for several months, it came with both .22lr & .22wmr cylinders for just over $200. I haven't had it out much, but so far it has functioned flawlessly!
I don't need sexy!! Just easy to shoot, load and unload-

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I don't need sexy!! Just easy to shoot, load and unload-
I got this older Ruger Standard a couple of years ago for $175. There are some pretty good deals out there if you look around. And it is easy to shoot, load and unload.

My son gave me this Walther P22 that he bought off a guy at work for $100. Shoots good but VERY picky about ammo. Which is why the guy sold it, got tired of it jamming.

I probably wouldn't recommend the P22 but for $100 it's worth trying to find ammo it likes.

I would definitely recommend any of the Ruger semi autos. They all seem to shoot well.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #24

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Pin held cylinder or swing open?? Knowing the cylinder is exchangeable, tells me it's probably pin held and that's one thing I want to get away from
Ok, let's talk about the these two, first of all, the Single Six is a single action firearm, meaning all the trigger does is release the hammer to fire the round. This western style gun loads by swinging the gate on the right side of the frame/trigger. On the Single Six, when the gate is open the cylinder rotates freely so you can load or (unload with the ejection rod that's under the barrel. Once the cylinder is fully loaded, close the gate, the gun is ready to be fired, cock the hammer back and press the trigger, then repeat.
How for the (swing out) . 99% of the time these are double action firearms, meaning the trigger can do the following, pulling the trigger back makes the cylinder rotate to the next chamber of the cylinder,,,,,,,, cocks the hammer back, and as all this (timing) comes into play, the trigger will then let the hammer fall and fire the round. You can also fire the double action just like a single action,,,,,,, all you have to do is cock the hammer by hand then pull the trigger. Your swing out cylinder can take all the rounds it can at one time, same goes for ejecting the spent rounds.
As an example, of firearms that will make you look twice at what type of action they are,,,,,,,,,,H & R made some of them that we're called top break,,,,,,they were double action style, but you loaded and unloaded them by picking up on the rear sights which was also the opening latch,,,,at that the top of the frame would open up, allowing you to get to the cylinder,,,,,,as you kept pushing down on the barrel,,,,opening it up further, the ejection rod would push out the rounds all at once.
H & R also made a western looking single/action, but in fact it was a double action, with a swing out cylinder. If I'm not mistaken that model was called Double Nine.
Hope this helps you out some more.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #25

Liked 318 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i have a Ruger standard that was made in 1955, even though the finish isn't that great anymore, it still shoots & functions like new. I paid $140 for it 2 years ago.

another option would be a used New England R92 revolver, they were 9 shot double actions with a swing out cylinder & copied from H&R designs. they came in snub nose, 4 inch, & 6 inch barrel lengths. I have the 6 inch heavy barrel & it is a tack driver, should be able to get one for around $200

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #26

Liked 318 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVAL View Post
H & R also made a western looking single/action, but in fact it was a double action, with a swing out cylinder. If I'm not mistaken that model was called Double Nine.
Hope this helps you out some more.
I think the official model name was the 949, a friend's dad had one when I was a kid & i'm pretty sure it had a loading gate & ejection rod like a conventional single action & not a swing out cylinder.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1
i have a Ruger standard that was made in 1955, even though the finish isn't that great anymore, it still shoots & functions like new. I paid $140 for it 2 years ago.

another option would be a used New England R92 revolver, they were 9 shot double actions with a swing out cylinder & copied from H&R designs. they came in snub nose, 4 inch, & 6 inch barrel lengths. I have the 6 inch heavy barrel & it is a tack driver, should be able to get one for around $200
New England is about what I'm looking for!! 9 shot, swing out DA!!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
Shot an old H&R 922!! Didn't do bad for a 60 year old gun!! But boy I sure loved the 6 dollar price for 50/22 shells!! So I decided I would start shopping for a 22!! Like to stay in the 300 to 350 range! New or used!! Was wondering should I go revolver or semi-auto and what mid level gun should I shop for!! Strictly range gun!! I have other guns for other uses!!
Thanks for the info, input, and suggestions everyone!! It's been most helpful-

Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #29

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1

I think the official model name was the 949, a friend's dad had one when I was a kid & i'm pretty sure it had a loading gate & ejection rod like a conventional single action & not a swing out cylinder.
Yes I think you are right,,,,,,,
It drove me crazy last night thinking about the H&R firearms that I had in the pass. I got to looking into some of my old records of arms that I owned long ago,,,,,,,,,I found it,,,,,I found it !!!!!!!!!! I did make a mistake,,,, the double action,swing out cylinder, 22/22mag that looks like a western single action,,,,,, it was the HIGH STANDARD model HIGH SIERRA. Now I can sleep better tonight!!!!!